Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cliff_Burton

Doom 3 McCrashy

Every 30 seconds to 10 minutes the game will crash. I have experienced 3 kinds of crashes.

Crash #1 = Goes back to desktop. Nothing serious

Crash #2 = Monitor turns off, sound goes haywire.

Crash #3 = Display freezes and sounds goes completely haywire (not repeating, more of a intence buzzing sound)

I am using AMD 3200 64 bit, 1 gb RAM, and Radeon 9800 XT. Anyone with similar problem? I am about to install the new 3.9 driver beta to see if it helps.

Try your drivers, Doom 3 was crashing/locking up every 10 minutes or so, then I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers and now it's mostly fine.

I just put on the new 3.9 beta driver from ATI. Did not fix problem. My pc is not running hot and I am not overclocking so it is not heat. I am very frustrated

It might be a memory problem download and run memtest86 to see if your mem's getting any errors. Also go into directx and set your sound to "No Acceleration". Try that and post back

I haven't had any crashes after an hour of play. Could be vid card/drivers or mem.

A64 3500
GF 5900
1.5 GB 3200LL

I've got the same same problem. Ive got a 3ghz P4 Alienware, 1gb ram, 9800 Pro 256mb, and it keeps friggen crashing. Even when I put it down to medium quality it still crashes.

wtf inDEED, i mean i love this game, its everything i expected
aside from in the alpha the zombies got back up witch was more fun , but... crash no error? i mean cmon... how can the game run for 20 mins solid, no glitch or any thing, then just crap out?
P4 2.8 with HT
1gig ddr400 ram
9700 128

no over heating cuase my MB has a monitor, and i have plenty of space and i just did a fresh install of winxp pro, so i know all the drivers are good.

but whatever, that thing that gets me is that the dam guys who made the game have NO site help, every other game i know has a site of there own that has news and patches and so on and a place to talk about that game. so far ive yet to see ne thing for doom3 made by id.
grrr im going back to killing zobies 10 mins at a time and saveing ever 9 hahahaha

ps:
read that game manual it tells u to save often hahahaha i see why

Not one crash since I've had it, which is now coming on 5 days. I've ran it on 2 different systems, restarting it a lot to test graphics settings, and never once has it crashed.

well good for you mancubus, I am proud of you. I'm sure everyone in this thread is also proud of you.

But seriously, I am getting very frustrated. I am installing in on brothers comp *shudders* Its this old pentium 4 2.something ghrtz proc, 512 megs of RD ram, and a rad 9200. Its got no sound card, so my 5.1 speakers are usless. I am just going to use headphones. I really hope it runs on that. Maybe you can play it with a crash every 10 minutes but I just cant do that. It'll ruin the game.

OK. I installed it on my bros comp and its working fine. No errors, nothing. Its flawless. Figures it works good on the crappy comp. I am now running it on medium details with no AA. I was able to run it on high before with 4x AA and so on. I miss that. If anyone finds a solution to the problem listed at the beginning of the post, please inform me.

I have the same problem. It will just randomly quit to the desktop every now and then. It seems to be most when there is a cutscene or the end of a level or a lift button pressed :P It's probably just a bug id will patch up though so we should probably just keep clicking the "updates" button.

BTW, I have 3Ghz Pentium 4, 1gb of RAM, and a Radeon 9600 w/. 128mb ram. If anything it's my videocard, but I doubt that since it's not a bad video card, and people seem to be able to play it on less. Also, I don't think I'm overheating, though I can check my processer ingame, since I have it's temp on the front of my case.

EDIT: Oh yeah, whenever I try to do multiplayer it freezes. The same happens for a few other multiplayer buttons that are ingame in my other games. I'm running DSL, and I have a firewall :P Maybe it's the firewall.

Disable Fastwrites for your video card. That stopped the crashing for me. I can now run for hours, and as of yet have not crashed again :)

Have you checked out planetdoom.com forums? They're lame but busy, and the have a technical support area.
It might be a windows problem. I was able to fix a small problem with my CD-ROM over there. As far as crashing, not once, but I did overheat, which corrupted the graphics but didn't crash the game. My Geforce4 is damaged from a time when the fan had fallen off, so when it works too hard things get bad.

Hey everyone,
I was having the same problem of crashing to desktop every few minutes. I checked everything, its not a overheating problem, I have all the updated drivers, blah, blah, blah. My uneducated guess is that it is sound-related. I made one change last night and I was able to play for 40 minutes before my old lady started hollering at me to come to bed: Go into dxdiag and turn your direct sound acceleration to basic.
If this doesnt work, try disabling it completely. Yea you wont have sound, but maybe it can help determine the cause of all our anguish.
I am leaving work in a couple hours, I will see how long I can go without crashing and post any new info.
Here are my PC specs:
P4 3.0 Northwood (not overclocked)
Zalman Alu/Cu heatsink/fan
Asus P4P800e deluxe mobo
NO SOUND CARD (I think this is my problem. I will be buying a soundblaster audigy today.)
1 GB of OCZ DDR-RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Windows Xp + SP1
For those of you w/ problems, what kind of soundcards are you using?

Cliff_Burton said:

Every 30 seconds to 10 minutes the game will crash. I have experienced 3 kinds of crashes.

Crash #1 = Goes back to desktop. Nothing serious

Crash #2 = Monitor turns off, sound goes haywire.

Crash #3 = Display freezes and sounds goes completely haywire (not repeating, more of a intence buzzing sound)

I am using AMD 3200 64 bit, 1 gb RAM, and Radeon 9800 XT. Anyone with similar problem? I am about to install the new 3.9 driver beta to see if it helps.

That happens to me when i play almost any game, or go on the internet and have winamp open at the same time, thats why i cant get this game, if i even double click on it i fear my computer would explode...

I have the exact same problem.

I just blew 90 dollars on a motel to play it in, too. Now I'm stuck in the motel for 48 hours with nothing to do but watch the game I've waited for all these years crash constantly.

Sucks majorly.

If what drjeffrock said works I'll be such a happy boy.

update-
I have been playing for the past 1.5 hours without a problem (on medium quality.) I switched to high-quality and it crashed within 5 minutes :(
I would def. try changing your sound settings. It seems to have worked somewhat for me.

why did u get a hotel to play in?
i mean i guess it would be kinda kool to be all alone n be able to have it kinda loud
but id make sure the gaem workded befor i tryed that lol

this problem keeps bugging the hell out of me,
its been 2 days, i give it 5 more befor i start makeing threating letters to id to fix the dam thing lol

I read somewhere that it's recommended that you defrag before installing the game. Not much help I know, but it might be worth trying.

i have the SB aduigy gamer

i think i found out what might be wrong,
the game comes with direct x right....
well even tho i installed it and have tryed to do so again,
when i look at
dxdiag.exe it says i have 8.1
even tho i went to microsoft it self and got the new 9.0c ver.
any one know how to fix this or have a way to restart from scratch?

ive tryed everything else, so im guessing this is what it is,
and posibly what other people might be haveing.
cuase it says its all working fine, and when installed gives no errors
sigh...

You might search micosofts knowledge base to find out how to completely uninstall DirectX. Then re-install. You might also try reformatting and starting over.

My guess is that the console could be overloading with warnings about missing files of some sort. I'm not sure.

Most of these sound like RAM issues. You could try extracting your pk4 files with winrar 3.3 and then renaming the pk4 files to .lol or something. This makes load times WAY shorter and it could help. Also, DeFrag your harddrive(s)!

As for the monitor problem, it's definitaly overheating. Try sticking a house fan right next to the monitor's vents and blow it on high.

If your computer is rebooting on it's own, there are 2 things that could be happening.

1. Too much power is being sucked from the PowerSupply. Make sure you have at least 300W PowerSupply and make sure AA and AF are not on.

2. Overheating. This can be done by cleaning every spec of dust inside the computer. Dust generates heat.

ya that would make sence if i had not just did a fresh install right befor putting doom3 in.
there has to be a nether way. i dont wanna reintall hours upon hours of drivers again

chad4828 said:

You might search micosofts knowledge base to find out how to completely uninstall DirectX. Then re-install. You might also try reformatting and starting over.

u cant uninstall it, i have looked at micorsoft websites for like an hour now. directx is part of windows not a seprate program, so you cant mess with it.
as for heat i dont have that problem, non of my temp sensors have gone off and i always have a fan on the case, so that cant be it.