Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endureth

Right shift for sprint?

How do I set the right shift key for sprint. When I go into the game's options and click the shift hotkey and choose the RIGHT shift key and then go back into the game, only the LEFT shift key allows me to sprint. That's dumb, not everyone uses WASD for movement.

So anyone know how?

-E

seriously, why the hell would you not want to use WASD. Do yourself a favor and force yourself to use it. If you still dont feel like conforming, then set your right mouse button to sprint.

He should use whatever configuration suits him best. I know a lot of skilled players that don't use wasd directly.

Since this is the initial release of the game, something like this may be fixed in a later patch. I would recommend posting this on the activision support forums (you'll need to register your product first).

Cliff_Burton said:

seriously, why the hell would you not want to use WASD. Do yourself a favor and force yourself to use it. If you still dont feel like conforming, then set your right mouse button to sprint.

Because I've been playing these types of games LONG before WASD was the standard. I've been using the arrow keysd since the very beginning. I'm too old to change.

-E

Endureth said:

Because I've been playing these types of games LONG before WASD was the standard. I've been using the arrow keysd since the very beginning. I'm too old to change.

Lies, I used arrow keys for several years (1994-1997) before switching to WASD and once I did my skill jumped probably twofold.

Linguica said:

Lies, I used arrow keys for several years (1994-1996) before switching to WASD and once I did my skill jumped probably twofold.

Interesting. Being right-handed, I've always used the arrow keys beacuse of the comfortable feeling of my hands being close together; I really find using WASD awkward.

I used the arrows even up to Half-Life. Finally, when I began Quake 3 my friend was like "WTF use WASD!" I was very stubborn and ignored him. However, at his house I had to use it and eventually got used it; also it did increase my skill by a lot. Now I've never gone back. Now everytime I play an old game I use WASD. Even classic Doom.

Yeah, I originally mastered the arrow keys from wolfenstein/doom as well and got used to it. Played that way for at least 4 years. It wasn't until I played Quake in multiplayer where I started to realize how much it hindered me. Not being able to look upwards and fire while chasing someone up a ramp was one of the bigger eye openers.

I decided to invent a new style that incorporated the mouse. I knew nothing of WASD. But what I came up with mirrors it exactly. Except, it is one set of keys over. I chose ESDF over WASD. Why? Simple. "F" is a home key, and therefore it ALWAYS has a little indentation on it (a bump or something). It's very easy to find without having to look for it if you move your hand off those keys. It also kept my arms at a natural length from each other when using the mouse and keyboard. And finally (and this is the biggest reason it's better than WASD) it freed up more keys on the left side, keys I can use to bind things to and hit quickly in the middle of a firefight.

I won't say it I got used to the new configuration right away. But in about a week or so I was finally getting used to it. The best way to speed up the learning process? Play online against other human beings. Playing single player and trying to get used to the keys doesn't work as quickly. You need to be in an environment where you have NO time to think about what you need to press. You need to be in an evironment where you can not exploit the weaknesses of the AI while you're learning the controls.

I got my ass spanked for a whole week straight while learning the controls. I tried learning them in single player at first, but once I gritted my teeth and played multiplayer exclusively I was kicking ass with the new controls in just a week or 2. I'll never go back. You don't have near as much control.

Why can't I just bind the right shift key to sprint?

I play wolf a lot and am always one of the top scoring players, I don't think WASD is going to increase my skill and I don't care really, I just want to use the right shift for sprint.

It's lame that I can't.

-E

Endureth, have you tried manually binding sprint to right shift using the console? Try the following:

bind "rshift" "_speed"

It might be just the Doom 3 options interface that doesn't support distinction between the two shift keys. I'm certain that all other id games do at the base level.