Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Nightmare skill - holy bejesus.

So I started a new game on nightmare, after beating Marine skill, to see how hard it was.

O_O

If your health is above 25, it'll tick down, 5 at a time every few seconds til it reaches 25. I've played through 2 entire levels (since the invasion) and I haven't found a single medkit, although the wall-mounted health stations are present still. So yeah, get hit more than a couple of times and you're toast. The saving grace, is that you have the soulcube. Which means you only need to kill 5 things without losing 25 health, before you can recharge yourself. This may prove tricky in later levels... I'll have to see. Also, the Soulcube should make the bosses possible. I mean, I lost more than 25 health to the very first mini-boss on Marine.

No respawning monsters though, for the die-hard fans among you. :P (good thing too, or it WOULD be impossible)

Sounds like fun :P too bad the monsters don't respawn though, I was looking forward to that :-\

Because there's something really panic-inducing about having very little health in a game; each fight could be your last.

Spike said:

Because there's something really panic-inducing about having very little health in a game; each fight could be your last.

I agree.

They should have also made it so you could only save your game in no less than 5 or 10 minute intervals. That would really get the blood pumping.

Lord FlatHead said:

Sounds like a challenge.

Exactly.

You can have more health, but only for a short time. And there are actually some very well placed wallmounted health stations, so you can go into a fight and take a few hits without worrying so much.

I just got to Alpha labs 2 and I'm not having any major problems so far. I'm having a lot of quickloading when I get surprised though. ;)

AirRaid said:

So I started a new game on nightmare, after beating Marine skill, to see how hard it was.

O_O

If your health is above 25, it'll tick down, 5 at a time every few seconds til it reaches 25.

EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ichor said:

Do you get extra ammo like the original?

I think so? I think maybe the health packs are replaced by ammo. But I can't be sure. You don't really *need* extra ammo, cos the monsters aren't harder to kill, as far as I can tell.

OK, the first time you meet Trites, I think it may be impossible. Theres too damn many of them.. cant kill em fast enough, and they hurt like buggery, killing me instantly. Theres one tactic I havent tried yet, which may or may not work.

BTW, im 100% positive now that health is replaced with ammo. I never had this much ammo the first time round.

I think these settings in the config affect Nightmare :

seta g_healthTakeLimit "25"
seta g_healthTakeAmt "5"
seta g_healthTakeTime "5"

i wonder if nightmare has a special ending (kinda like Halo's legendary outro)

i mean, sure, u get great bragging rights. but im wondering if theres something extra.

Thats what I'm hoping for godshatter. Which is why I'm determined to do it without cheats. Managed to beat the trites by hiding in a hole so they couldnt get at me so easily.

And yeah BBG those are the settings, but wheres the fun in changing them? ;)

No. As far as I can tell, the only changes are the health ticking down to 25, and Health pickups being replaced with Ammo Pickups. Oh and the fact that you have the soul cube from the start.

useless warrior said:

So do monsters move faster on nightmare mode?

NM is unlocked when you finish the game.
monsters definitely do more damage.

I spent a year beating doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare I'm not going to try it with doom 3. It sounds like doom 3 on nightmare would actually be harder...

Let me know if one of you guys beats it!

Man, you people have a lot of time on your hands. I see posts about finishing the game already, playing it through a bizillion times on Nightmare settings, whatever; don't you people work or sleep? :)

What is that demon guy saying every time you take damage? It sounds a lot like "Obsolete" or "You're obsolete."

OK After coming through like 50% of the game on nightmare I can fix a few of my observations from above.

There are more enemies. I'm almost certain I've seen more pinkies in the game thus far (Delta labs 1) than I did in the entire game before. Sometimes I'll see two or three imps spawning in where before I could've sworn there was one. Places where I think "k i've killed everything now" because I remember it from my first run through and then something else comes at me.

I *think* monsters do do more damage, but I still can't tell much because usually it's just an instant kill with so little health. Anything bigger than an Imp is lethal.

And it's still scarier than the normal skill. :P

mmnpsrsoskl said:

I would be anally probed by monsters on Nightmare ^_^

Er...since this is just a game I would double-check what you're roommate is doing while you're playing. Nothing worse than waking up with cotton mouth not remembering where you are, your butt hurts, and there's vaseline all over you...

;)

i pld this game and finished it on easy. Verdict: mediocre, quite boring and repetetive 6.5/10. I have absolutely no desire to play it again on any difficulty level or with cheats or if it was the only game in existance and if i didnt play it i would have to knit cardigans all day.!

this review sums it up really well

http://www.somethingawful.com/

It's amazing how people bash this game so hard.. The hype was high yes, but it was a remake of a revolutionary classic game.. Now, nearly everyone agrees the graphics are revolutionary in many ways, but bitch entirely about the single player game.. which again is, imo, better than any other first person shooter i've played.. Sure it rips off half-life hard.. it's too linear blah blah.. but really, this was a remake of the original doom.. and all other FPS borrowed ideas found within that series.

In fact, from a game design point, i could not see the fun in having to replay the game 80 times to play a different branch of the game's storyline.. For example, calling for backup in the comms tower could have in theory, been another branch off of the storyline..

For me, Non-linear games get really boring and tiresome.. i don't want to explore every inch of a giant tech base only to find some bloody key.. I felt that Doom3 executed this aspect really well, never making the player feel lost, but rather it retained the nice run and gun gameplay of the original doom..

If you want a replayable game, go play diablo or diablo2... I cannot think of 1 fps single-player experience that has had a high replay value compared those rts games.. There's too many limitations in level design to make this possible.. randomly made levels would lick sack, and i can't see a billion randomly placed scripted events making me want to play the game over a google times to see every bloody script...

I started a game on NM, and what i focus on is not my health, but consistently saving after every enemy i kill. im now on alpha labs sector 3 with Nightmare.