Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odex

How to start the Doom 3 Editor

Seems alot of people having "trouble" with this so I've explained here what I think is the best way of starting the editor.

Starting the editor:

Make a new shortcut for Doom3.exe and name it D3Editor or something.

Right click your new shortcut and choose properties, and in the "target" area paste in this:

c:\Doom3\Doom3.exe +editor +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 7

Remember to change the folder "C:\Doom3\Doom3.exe" accordingly to your installation.

Explanations

"+r_fullscreen 0" = Runs in windowed mode.

"+r_mode 7" = Resolution 1280x1024.

Set your resolution to the same you use in Windows, this way you don't have to change resolution after the editor is started, also the Hz isn't changed.

r_modes options are as follows:

3 = 640x480
4 = 800x600
5 = 1024x768
6 = 1152x864
7 = 1280x1024
8 = 1600x1200

EDIT: UPDATE

BNA says that:

You don't need to set any r_modes...

Use this shortcut, works for everybody:
yourpath/Doom3.exe +r_fullscreen 0 +vid_restart +editor

There's also a short FAQ I've written which appears to contain the right way so iron out most of the squirks:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3

I WAS HEAR FRIST ASSHOEL

And why the hell is this an "ATTN:" thread? And if that's the case, why wasn't my thread an "ATTN:" thread?

Because yours was pushed down topic list and Odex's was near the top and put '(someone sticky)' in his topic subject?

Lord FlatHead said:

Are you sure you don't need "+exec editor.cfg" in the command line as well ? Anyway, good idea, I'm stickying this.

Well, pretty sure, hehe. I haven't ran into any problems without having it there yet.

whats the command parameter to disable anti aliasing?
Apparently, Radiant won't work unless aliasing is turned off..

Darkhaven said:

What the FUCK are you talking about? When did he have (someone sticky) in his thread title?

Do not push Darkhaven, our resident elite Doom 3 mapper. It's really Tim Willits, but he's having a REALLY bad day.

Double Quote:

Darkhaven said:

When did he have (someone sticky) in his thread title?

Are you insinuating somebody ejaculated onto his thread title? I'd normally say that is absurd, but the resolution info was particularly helpful since I hate having to modify it all the time. SO I guess you could say I "stickied" in his "thread."

Laguna said:

Do not push Darkhaven, our resident elite Doom 3 mapper. It's really Tim Willits, but he's having a REALLY bad day.

Are you insinuating somebody ejaculated onto his thread title? I'd normally say that is absurd, but the resolution info was particularly helpful since I hate having to modify it all the time. SO I guess you could say I "stickied" in his "thread."

Wow, you are an asshole. I swear, it's like looking into a mirror.

Try clicking randomly inside the editor window. Eventually it will pop up.

EDIT: Try double-clicking inside the "XY Top" window.

Darkhaven said:

Wow, you are an asshole. I swear, it's like looking into a mirror.

Darkhaven said:

I WAS HEAR FRIST ASSHOEL

I guess imitation is the biggest form of flattery. :)

PSYCH[o] said:
O_o hmmm well whats the command for no gamma?

ill be blind soon.

Yeah, that has to do with the game's rendering engine. I do not know of any way to set that down, but it seems a lot of games that display rendering in real time tend to wash the hell out of your screen. I do not know how to fix it, though I *GUESS* (it's worth a shot) you could try reducing the gamma in the Doom 3 system menu.

:/ It seems to pull into my DooM 3 resolution(640x480, heh). It runs in windowed mode fine, but my reso is pulled down and I can't really do much work in 640x480 :P. Do I have to set my DooM 3 reso higher? BTW, I have r_mode 5 on.

[EDIT] Well, thats fixed but now im getting some errors...hmm I'll post them if I continue to get them after a restart.
[EDIT2] :( I restarted and got the same thing. The error occurs every time I try to create a new..(trys to remeber radiant term)uh...brush :P I click, and as soon as I start dragging *BOOM* error. I'll check to the refrences if it has anything to do with me switching the hex value for it run under 98.

Well, I was able to drag it 3 space down today :P Anyone know why this could be happening? I'm thinking of saving my save files and reinstalling.

For some reason I can't get it to display the windows in the classic 4 view. Anyone having similar problems?

Yeah... I didn't try very hard though, guess I got used to the way it is default. Just tabbing between the top, front and side views.

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe +editor +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 7 = Resolution 800x600"

this doesnt work. ive also tryed...
"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe +editor +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 7"

says its invaild target, so now what?

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +editor +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 7

Note where the endquote is. That should fix it.

On a side note, I have only been able to get 640x480 and 1024x768 to work. I started out by using +r_mode 5, but it gave me 640x480 instead of the 1024x768 it was supposed to. Using +r_mode 7, though, gave me what I wanted. Anybody else come across this?

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +editor +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 4

well, it opens now, thanks...
but now the cam dont work and it gives lots of errors n tells me to restart it.

works for every one, just not me?
"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +r_fullscreen 0 +vid_restart +editor

ERROR: wglMakeCurrent failed..
Please restart DOOMEdit if the camera view is not working

sigh

EDIT!!!!!!
finaly found something that works.
maybe it will help others

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set r_multiSamples 0 +r_fullscreen 0 +seta com_allowConsole 1 +editor +vid_restart

kabe said:

+set r_multiSamples 0

FSAA fux0rs the editor in9 out of 10 cases.

Hah! That last command got my views to work! Now I can read up on some tutorials and get to work....

I've used QuArK for all Quake-style editing in the past, so I know WHAT needs to be done, just not what to press to, say, amke btrushes, duplicate them, etc. But soon I will know. Thanks for everything everyone. :)

BNA! said:

FSAA fux0rs the editor in9 out of 10 cases.

well, 9/10 means 90/100 and 900/1000
so thats a lot of people who could use it and not have it mess things up.