Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

no clipping

first i have to ask, not being into programing, but what does no clipping mean? second, and my main question, when u go outside a level can u keep going and come out on the other side of the map, or will u go on forever( or at least till the game crashes). I have done this with lost souls, goten them to attack while out side a map. damn thos bastards keep going until they hit something but they got nothing to hit.

I suppose it's just a way to override the "Impassable" and the "Sector Floor difference" checks when defining each frame's position of the player.

I think I might have read/heard somewhere that it has something to do with the ability to pick up objects.

Clip [klip], n. To fasten or hold.

In other words, the player is held inside the level or map area. "No clipping" might mean that nothing can stop you. You're free to go anywhere inside or outside the area.

Well, clipping is having contact with anything in the level. It's how the game calculates touching. When you turn off clipping, "touch" isn't calculated and you have no physical presence in the game. In true 3D, you can go through floors and ceilings as well as walls when you turn on no-clipping mode, but since Doom isn't true 3D, trying to explain true clipping using Doom as an example isn't too easy. If Doom had true no-clipping, you could go through floors and ceilings like newer games.

Well, clipping is having contact with anything in the level. It's how the game calculates touching. When you turn off clipping, "touch" isn't calculated and you have no physical presence in the game. In true 3D, you can go through floors and ceilings as well as walls when you turn on no-clipping mode, but since Doom isn't true 3D, trying to explain true clipping using Doom as an example isn't too easy. If Doom had true no-clipping, you could go through floors and ceilings like newer games.

Translation for level makers:
The no-clipping code in Doom basically means "disregard the blockmap, positions of objects, and any height changes for the purposes of movement".

Now, if you *could* do true-3D noclip mode in Doom, you'd have to get rid of HOM. (Which would make sky areas simpler - instead of F_SKY1, you just use an absence of flat on a surface.)

Source ports should work with real polys once and for all. The conversion isn't that hard...GLNode already makes most of the work.

That shit about floors and spans isn't pretty when considering new hot 3d features.

when u go outside a level can u keep going and come out on the other side of the map, or will u go on forever( or at least till the game crashes).

I would assume the map will eventually wrap around. I've never taken the time to check this phenomena out in the Doom engine, although I know that you will eventually wrap around when noclipping in a Quake-engine game. It'sthe way numbers work in computers: there is a point that is the absolute maximum whole number the machine/game can handle (for Doom, probably about 2^255). To go one higher would end up wrapping the number around to a value of -(2^255 - 1).

when u go outside a level can u keep going and come out on the other side of the map, or will u go on forever( or at least till the game crashes).

I would assume the map will eventually wrap around.

It does.

I would assume the map will eventually wrap around. I've never taken the time to check this phenomena out in the Doom engine, although I know that you will eventually wrap around when noclipping in a Quake-engine game. It'sthe way numbers work in computers: there is a point that is the absolute maximum whole number the machine/game can handle (for Doom, probably about 2^255). To go one higher would end up wrapping the number around to a value of -(2^255 - 1).

GAHAHAHA

Try 2^15-1 and -(2^15).

j00r numb3r 5k1llz 4r3 l4ck1n6, f00

Clipping is basically where you cannot go. You cannot clip through a wall because its solid, but when No Clipping is on you can clip, I think...