Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eternal Dreams

A PREVIEW of Doom II!

Heh, I like how that preview says that "Jay and the boys have outdone themselves", when in reality that couldn't be farther from the truth :P

Look at the sky.. hehe
Very early stuff I suppose.
But those grey guys are probably ID's guys playing coop :)

The first two are maps 26 and 15 obviously; the one where the Pain Elemental seems to be shooting a Cacodemon fireball is strange... perhaps a modification of E1M4 for testing purposes?

myk said:

perhaps a modification of E1M4 for testing purposes?

No, that's evidently map15 in one of the buildings where You face a baron and several Pain Elementals.
EDIT:Hmm.. odd that all screenshots come from Romero's Levels..

Oh, of course, the room before the BFG; and I was wondering where in DOOM II you could see a Soulsphere high up like that.

Maybe Romero specifically sent his maps to this guy for testing.

I wish they would've stuck with the "100% clone of the Cacodemon" version of the Pain Elemental. The final version sucks gigantic hairy balls.

Yeah but then it would have been stupid to have two enemies that look different but do the same thing...

*shuffles the Fire Imps in ultimate hell out of sight, though thier projectiles look different too*

Well, you do have a point there...

I think the best they could've done was make the pain elemental a bit stronger and make it shoot twin fireballs in different directions 3 times in succession, like the Mancubus. Then again, maybe that's just me talking.

The Mancubus in the first screenshot has something diferent on his arm.
I'd like to see the graphics that they planned to include in DOOM 2, but finally didn't.
Of course not as many as with the DOOM alphas, but who knows..

The two outer screens are obvious enough, but the middle one isn't - any ideas?

deathbringer said:

Yeah but then it would have been stupid to have two enemies that look different but do the same thing...

I guess that's why they made hell knights then...

The middle shot also shows map15, it´s the top of the building where you get the yellow key. This shot is actually on the package of Doom2 that I got. They´re using Doom´s E1 sky as a placeholder.

Just a guess: Maybe there was some Cacodemon fireing from behind the player and the ball was flying past the Pain Elemental, so it looks like the Pain E. is fireing it.

Deathmatcher said:

Just a guess: Maybe there was some Cacodemon fireing from behind the player and the ball was flying past the Pain Elemental, so it looks like the Pain E. is fireing it.

Yeah, I never really thought of that. Speaking of which, I'm starting to wonder if the PE really did fire that caco-shot, if it had different attack sprites without the skull inside it's mouth.

Cool, I wish they would have kept the old pain-elemental instead of the new lost soul shooting one.

Vegeta said:

yeah. i wish there was a better shot, or some sort of way to get the resources.

No I'd say that's a different rocket.

EDIT: No I'm wrong. :P

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The two outer screens are obvious enough, but the middle one isn't - any ideas?

That's map15 too, the marble is a placeholder for brick10.

Weren't those screenshots on the box?

Not the Mancubus one, but the chaingunner is definitely on it. I don't recall the Pain Elemantal shooting a Cacodemon fireball on the box, but I could swear I've seen that before.

Does id ever consider releasing unused or old stuff from their games? I know of the three Doom alphas, but there's obviously some stuff from Doom 2, and a lot with Doom 3 now.

Deathmatcher said:

Yeah, except notice that the other PE and the Baron are in a fight. NOTHING ever fights a PE because they have no direct attack (though PE's will shoot lost souls at other enemies when they are pissed of course). So obviously, the PE had to do something to piss of the Baron (like shooting a fireball).

I think the only things that were released pre-Doom3-release were the leaked alpha and a bunch of screenies. Of course, the leaked alpha was not an official release. In fact, I think it's illegal to have a copy of that alpha. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

And? We arent talking about doom 3, if you would read the title (though II! coukd be mistaken for III)

Its probable that the caco fireball the pain elemental shoots is just a placeholder too, cause they might not have coded the 'spawn in attack state' lost souls yet, if the PE fired a 'map' lost soul that was in its idle state, it would probably get stuck

Danarchy said:

Yeah, except notice that the other PE and the Baron are in a fight. NOTHING ever fights a PE because they have no direct attack (though PE's will shoot lost souls at other enemies when they are pissed of course). So obviously, the PE had to do something to piss of the Baron (like shooting a fireball).

Ok, but the Baron could have attacked the P.E. by coincidence, maybe it´s a coop-screenie and another player tricked the Baron into attacking the P.E. just prior to the screenshot being taken.

Seems unlikely; it's probably the Cacodemon thing, but using the Pain Elemental sprites to check out how it looks... before the Pain Elemental thing and frames were added to the code.

Interesting that the Pain Elemental probably started out as a copy of the Caco. That probably explains ghost PEs...

Ryback said:

Interesting that the Pain Elemental probably started out as a copy of the Caco. That probably explains ghost PEs...

Explain that, please.

myk said:

Seems unlikely; it's probably the Cacodemon thing, but using the Pain Elemental sprites to check out how it looks... before the Pain Elemental thing and frames were added to the code.

i agree.

Ryback said:

i have never heard of "ghost" PEs. not even when i played with my cousin whosa doom expert.

And here. This map (made by Job and populated by me) provides a reliable way to create a ghost pain elemental (demonstrated in one of the demos included with it).