Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven

How to use the Doom3 Editor

This is a simple guide to those who want to know how to use the Doom3 Editor.

First, of course, install the game and start it up and go to video options and set your desired resolution to use the editor in. Next, restart the game and pull down the console by pressing Control-Alt-Tilde(the ~ key). Then, type "exec editor.cfg" to load up all the editor controls and other techie stuff. Then, type "editor" and press enter. You have just started up the editor, called DOOMEdit! The editor's interface is fairly close to that of QERadiant or GTKRadiant, and the way it works is very close to Radiant as well. Have fun!

Any comments?

What? No takers?

Hmmm. Having to play at 640x480 is a real pain...

So I did what you suggest - changed res to 1024x768, restarted the game, entered "exec editor.cfg" in the console and fired up the editor. But the resolution still appears to be 640x480. Which, everyone will probably agree, is bad.

Anyone got any clues?

Hmmm... I need to look into that. But first, are you sure you pressed "apply changes" on the video options menu?

Play the game in windowed mode. Then start the exe with "+exec editor.cfg -editor". Worked fine for the leaked build, should work just fine with the full game.

OK it seems to work properly now. Loaded the game, swapped to Windowed Mode, used "exec editor.cfg" then "editor" in the console - bingo, the editor loaded in the correct screen res.

Thanks everyone =)

I really hate the way you have to quit and restart to change res/AA in Doom3. I tried to get around it by doing a vid_restart from the console, but it just gave me a grey screen.

vid_restart works for me, although it takes a little while as textures are reloaded. Always comes back within a minute though.

um..I can't even create a new project or map I keep getting this message in the inspector window:

ERROR: wglMakeCurrent failed..
Please restart DOOMEdit if the Z view is not working
ERROR: wglMakeCurrent failed.. Error:1282

That's an OpenGL error, Doom is saying it can't create, open or add to the Inspector window.

Video driver update perhaps? If you're running Win2K or XP you could try looking in the Application Event Log (in the Event Viewer), see if you get any further error messages.

EDIT: someone with VisualC++ or MFC knowledge should be able to find out about that error for you.

I am already using the latest drivers for my radeon 9800 pro, and the latest direct x version as well.

edit: wait, I have Visual C++ 6.0, what can I do to locate this problem?

DD_133 said:

No external EXE that you can just click?

C:\program files\doom3\doom3.exe +editor

There you go.

DD_133 said:

No external EXE that you can just click?

Try and make a .bat file or a shortcut with the options you need on.
Not having the game is a disadvantage but you should be able to do it like this :

1. Fire up notepad
2. Type something like : "doom3.exe +exec editor.cfg -editor"
3. Save in the doom3 folder that has doom3.exe (or whatever) as DoomEd.bat (remembering to set the file type to "all files" instead of .txt)

Or just edit the shortcut on the desktop adding +exec editor.cfg -editor onto the end of the target (doom3.exe).

That should help those lazy people.

Joe

EDIT : Too late :(. My way is much funner though!

After following these directions multiple times, I am still having a great deal of trouble getting the editor to run, and I think it may be related to my install path of E:\games\doom3\ The doom3.qe4 file located in pak0004.pak has a totally different path of like C:\doom\base\ and w:\doom\ when I open it up. The editor starts to load, and I can move my cursor around its window, however, it is unresponsive and the only thing displayed is File as well as an Inspectors window. Has anyone with a diff path or diff hard drive been able to get the game to work? Everyone here seems to not use custom paths for programs(Everything in program files folder would be a nightmare for me)

*Scratches head*