Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Nazi removal patch?

Is there any patch on the archives that changes the Wolfenstein SS man into something "normal" (I.E. fits in with the other Doom monsters), preferably keeping the same behavior, just changing the way he looks/sounds?

I am sure there are some files around there, but I don't know which ones :)

It's actually pretty easy to replace the sprites and sounds with a more "doomish" monster. Same applies to the Commander Keen.

VinceDSS said:

It's actually pretty easy to replace the sprites and sounds with a more "doomish" monster. Same applies to the Commander Keen.

I know, I just didn't want to bother making it if there was already something available...

The shitty thing is the SS guy is missing frames that a new monster would need. His firing animation is only done in one view.

As far as I know, that's not a problem, you can insert the 5-angle format on a frame that's in 1-angle format and it will still work... or am I wrong?

Draconio said:

As far as I know, that's not a problem, you can insert the 5-angle format on a frame that's in 1-angle format and it will still work... or am I wrong?

I believe that is correct. I've made some replacements to 1-sided things (such as trees) with 5-angled ones and it works fine.

AgentSpork said:

I believe that is correct. I've made some replacements to 1-sided things (such as trees) with 5-angled ones and it works fine.

What port are you using? The Doom source contains a check that prevents the simultaneous use of rotations if a non-rotated sprite is there.
Most source ports have removed that check so it would work there.

Herian 2 replaces the SS guy with a slightly editited Former human (he has yellow hair instead of green), and it fits too cause they both drop clips

And Rebirth replaces it with a snowman.

You wouldn't want to use the replacement from STRAIN though (the "decompress daemon"). He's not very friendly at all.

The Doom source contains a check that prevents the simultaneous use of rotations if a non-rotated sprite is there.

I replaced the Marine's dead body sprites with ones that added roatation. It worked fine in the original EXE. Let's also not forget the ladders form the A|iens Doom TC.

Grimm said:

I replaced the Marine's dead body sprites with ones that added roatation. It worked fine in the original EXE. Let's also not forget the ladders form the A|iens Doom TC.

I always wondered how rotating corpses and other 1-sided objects would look like from diff angles, must be cool.

Grimm said:

I just looked at the source but never tested it. Maybe it was added later or maybe it doesn't work. Who knows?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I made one a while back, to use with a megawad that has SS everywhere. Uses Herian's SS replacement sprites.

Thanks, that will suffice. I'm guessing the megawad you refer to is Garrulo.wad? (That wad is the main reason I wanted this...)