Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

top ten bands

http://www.time.com/time/musicgoesglobal/na/mbest.html - brought you by AOL [America offline]

Radiohead, BRITAIN
Hailing from Oxford, this art-rock quintet spins futuristic songs about the disillusioned and the disoriented, about aliens and creeps—but often with a glimmer of hope. Key albums: OK Computer, Kid A

U2, IRELAND
Two decades after it first formed, the Dublin-based band still hasn't found what it's looking for. It has remained inventive, hungry and committed to social causes. Key albums: The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind

Aterciopelados, COLOMBIA
Singer Andrea Echeverri and guitarist/producer Hector Buitrago blend alt-rock, electronica and Colombian folk. Key albums: Gozo Poderoso, Caribe Atomico

Brilliant Green, JAPAN
A rock-'n'-roll trio—singer Tomoko Kawase and guitarists Shunsaku Okuda and Ryo Matsui—that creates ambiguously playful music. Key album: Los Angeles

Sigur Ros, ICELAND
The land of Bjork has produced several notable acts lately, including Emiliana Torrini and Mum. Sigur Ros, with its intoxicatingly eclectic sound, is winning fans worldwide. Key album: Agaetis Byrjun

Portishead, BRITAIN
Atmospheric, surreal trip-hop music; Geoff Barrow produces, and vocalist Beth Gibbons' hollow voice haunts every track. These songs pull listeners two ways: they make you want to dance and to despair. Key album: Dummy

Tarika, MADAGASCAR
An upbeat fusion of energetic percussion, traditional instrumentation and socially conscious lyrics. Nearly every song sounds like a celebration of the spirit. Key albums: Soul Makassar, D

Pato Fu, BRAZIL
Pop rock with a sense of humor and a charge of electronica. Key album: Televisao De Cachorro

Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers, JAMAICA
Ziggy, Stephen, Sharon and Cedella are keeping reggae's (and their father Bob's) positivity and purpose alive. Key album: Spirit of Music

Orishas, CUBA
Combines lyrical wizardry with traditional Afro-Cuban rhythms to make cutting-edge hip-hop. Key album: A Lo Cubano

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
The Nortec Collective (Mexico)
Cheikh Lo's band (Senegal)
Cornershop (Britain)

Other Artists
Christina Aguilera
Outkast
Dr. Dre
Mike D.
Nelly Furtado
The Strokes

well since now, let's post for our own favorite bands

What kind of moronic monkeys did they hire to pick these so-called #1 bands. Radiohead is the only band on there that I really like. U2 used to be good, but now they are sucking big time. The rest I either have never heard of, or they really suck.

U2 used to be good, but now they are sucking big time.

Bah. They've been milking that same bass riff and guitar riff for like 11 albums now, and the world kisses their ass. It's pathetic.

Still, they have some good new stuff. Nothing worth buying a CD, but worth several megs of mp3s? Sure.

And who the FUCK are the other bands listed anyway?

U2 used to be good, but now they are sucking big time.

Bah. They've been milking that same bass riff and guitar riff for like 11 albums now, and the world kisses their ass. It's pathetic.

Damn Straight Lüt!

Where's Steve Vai? Where's Dream Theatre? And isn't coinicidence that most of those bands are signed on with Warner? Oi. And Lüt, you said the truth about U2 man, they can't play for shit cuz they can't play original shit.

/me sticks on PANTERA - I'm Broken SO HE CAN SOOTH THE PAIN OF HAVING SEEN THE SO-CALLED TOP 10 BANDS, WHICH ARE ALL Fu><0RAGE

Err, cheese fingers

hahahahahahahaha anything by AOL is a fuck'n joke, just like most of the people my age at my school. anyway i have only heard of like 4 of those bands, and none of those are exactly favs of mine. Its all pop shit, and so is AOL. AOL sucks people, it sucks a dead yak's shit, it sucks old fat hairy smelly goat balls, it sucks the cooter of the nasty ass old whore down the street, it sucks the shit up in the bottom of the sewer, it sucks sucks ans sucks some more

Nelly Furtado

WHY GOD WHY!!!!???!?!??!?!?

The could've at least mentioned KMFDM for Germany...

Yeah, nelly really isn't that much, just a 20-something pop singer that has the voice of a 12 year old. But isn't KMFDM split? Although if you were to include split bands, why not Dire Straits, or Queen?

ah, but you don't live in canada where nelly furtado is insanely popular. she can't even carry a note or pronounce her 'r's! ugh...

kmfdm got back together. a new single should be out in november! maybe we'll finally hear opium sometime in the future... mating sounds of helicopters... must hear. unfortunately no en esch or gunter schultz anymore... everyone else is back though, including everyone from mdfmk!

The new KMFDM single is called "Boots", release date January 22, 2002. Not sure if that's the release date for the single or the album...

WHAT!!??!
No Staind in there?!

Of course, seeing as it's AOL doing the listing, how could one expect anything different?

/me marches on the AOL headquarters

Where's Dream Theatre?

\m/ john petrucci! \m/

anywho, here's how the list was really meant to look like:

1)slipknot
2)fear factory
3)opeth
4)in flames
5)pantera
6)testament
7)black label society
8)godsmack
9)nin
10)cannibal corpse

;)

WHAT!!??!
No Staind in there?!

Of course, seeing as it's AOL doing the listing, how could one expect anything different?

You're right, not even AOL could screw up that bad.

got that one right. i hate staind, why because that is all they played on every radio station for like 6 months and i am sick of it! how many times have i heard that "i'm on the inside" song. i hate overplayed songs/music

anywho, here's how the list was really meant to look like:

1)slipknot
2)fear factory
3)opeth
4)in flames
5)pantera
6)testament
7)black label society
8)godsmack
9)nin
10)cannibal corpse
;)

mmmmhhh well, well...

1)SUFFOCATION
2)CRYPTOPSY
3)DYING FETUS
4)SLAYER
5)MORBID ANGEL
6)INTERNAL BLEEDING
7)TON
8)CEPHALIC CARNAGE
9)GORGUTS
10)DEICIDE

I forgot Lara Fabian, Celine "Titanic" Dion, ABBA and Village People...

got that one right. i hate staind, why because that is all they played on every radio station for like 6 months and i am sick of it! how many times have i heard that "i'm on the inside" song. i hate overplayed songs/music

Staind has a few tolerable songs, but the mere thought that they could be considered one of the best modern bands is laughable.

Actually, I'm pretty sure no one here listens to the REAL top bands. Top just means "most humans listen to this", not "Best bands". There's no believable way to measure a band's quality,

Ugh...sorry, but you know how that list would look like.

*alarm blares*

OFF TOPIC:::

goats go to Hell. <<<<< in Liam's sig
it sucks old fat hairy smelly goat balls <<<<< in sephiroth's post

Whats up with the goat-hate around here!?

goats are cool. if i every get alot of land i will get some, and NOT for sex reasons! they are cool because they have horns, like a demon, and they are also so stupid it is amuseing to watch them. I laught every time i see them but heads, or try to eat an unedible object only to spit it out and try agian. also look at their eye, they dont look right, just so damn wierd looking. once at a farm one took a floppy disk out of my friends pocket and tried to eat it. it spit it out but before it could pick it back up another goat started to fight for it. The other one won and went throught the process of trying it out spiting and trying agian. the other goat then chewed on his girlfriends hair