Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

Will it run nicely on YOUR system?

Im hearing dozens of different people talking about the minimum specs to run DooM. Everyone is saying something different. I cant remember where i read it, probly here somewhere, but i thought i saw that the minimum spec for a video card was going to be the Geforce3. So does that mean ANY Geforce4 will be good enough? Im still stuck in the 64mb category. I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB with AGP8X. Im equally split on replies ive gotten on other forums, half say yea i'll be fine, but i wont be able to max out. Others say i wont even be able to install DooM with this card. I need to be sure, i cant go out and buy the card i need before i get the game, and i dont want to buy the game if i cant play it yet. I'd buy the card first. So.. what do you all think here.. am i gonna be able to play DooM3 with a 64mb card, on 800x600, medium settings accross the board? Thats how i play all my games. Raven Shield purrs on my system at those settings. I really really hope i dont have to wait for D3.. this will surely suck the big wazoo.

You'll be able to run the game on low detail and it will run for you, and you will be able to install it so dont worry about that. But I am saying that dont be looking for grade A results you should be able to have fun with it and still enjoy the game but not in nearly all its glory.

Your card is more than enough. The cards that won't work are the GeForce4 >>>>>>>MX<<<<<<< cards because they are really GeForce2 cards where they changed the 2 to a 4 to boost sales.

I think these are the BARE minimum requirements..

384mb of ram (Thats a 128+256)
Geforce 4 MX420 (Thats a 64mb Card)
2GHZ Processor

But it will look bad, some website sugegsted the best looks you can get from it will be to leave shadows and bump-mapping on, but turn occlusion off, and in the bottom resolution it will play acceptably

I'm pretty sure it'll run on a P3 700MHz w/ a GeForce2. Possibly maybe on 256mb of ram too.

Don't believe the newbies and hardware-whores sites.

gargoylol said:

I'm pretty sure it'll run on a P3 700MHz w/ a GeForce2. Possibly maybe on 256mb of ram too.

I'm pretty sure it won't. If id software says it won't it probably won't. And who would try it on a p3 700 and geforce 2? That would never be a stable frame rate.

Alientank said:

I'm pretty sure it won't. If id software says it won't it probably won't. And who would try it on a p3 700 and geforce 2? That would never be a stable frame rate.

The figures he quoted, if i remember, where specified RIGHT at the beginning, back in 2001, and they where just shy of the very best thing you could buy then, i dont think ID saw just how rapidly computers would have developed by 2004, but it did allow them to make the game look even nicer, knowing people could still buy the stuff to run it

The GeForce 2 doesn't support a new enough Vertex Shader to render Doom 3, if I recall correctly.

And IMO a 700Mhz CPU would flop.

There is a huge discrepancy here between what ID USED TO SAY the minimum requirements were and what ID NOW SAYS the minimum requirements are. ID jacked up the requirements by doubling them across the board. The MX cards fall below their CURRENTLY announced minimum requirements.

The GeForce4 MX cards are, by all proper definition, final-gen GeForce2 cards. Fact.

deathbringer said:

I think these are the BARE minimum requirements..

384mb of ram (Thats a 128+256)
Geforce 4 MX420 (Thats a 64mb Card)
2GHZ Processor

But it will look bad.

Wrong.
Minimum processor speed is 1.5 ghz
And doom 3 reportedly still looks fucking awesome* on the lowest settings.

*When compared with other recent engines at low settings

AndrewB said:

The MX cards fall below their CURRENTLY announced minimum requirements.

No they don't.

AndrewB said:

The GeForce4 MX cards are, by all proper definition, final-gen GeForce2 cards. Fact.

True, but the fact is, "Final Gen GeForce 2" cards can run Doom 3.

Can someone tell me if Doom 3 will work on this?

E-machine
Windows XP home edition
256 mb ram (providing that I delete all my recent programs)
Pentium 3 procceser
2.60 Ghz procceser speed
80 GB hard-drive

gargoylol said:

That's a little low, but not far off. You can run DOOM III on a 900 Mhz, 256 RAM, GeForce 4 Ti machine. I know, because it's running on my computer. Right now, I'm looking around for ways to maximize my performance. And getting more funds to upgrade.

Also, it's still beautiful.

Ok I just installed the game. I am at school right now, so I didn't have much time to test it out. Im about 10 minutes into the game, with what I believe is the lowest settings. The game is a bit choppy so far. Might get worse.

Computer running it:
AMD Athlon 1GHz
384 RAM
GeForce 3 (32 or 64 MB? first model out, top quality at the time)
Windows XP SP1

Might work better after I restart my computer.

AndrewB said:

Your card is more than enough. The cards that won't work are the GeForce4 >>>>>>>MX<<<<<<< cards because they are really GeForce2 cards where they changed the 2 to a 4 to boost sales.

By the way, Tyockell is probably full of it.

actyually the geforce 4 mx is supported although it will require you to run in low detail.

AndrewB said:

There is a huge discrepancy here between what ID USED TO SAY the minimum requirements were and what ID NOW SAYS the minimum requirements are. ID jacked up the requirements by doubling them across the board. The MX cards fall below their CURRENTLY announced minimum requirements.

andrew they mention the geforce 4 mx will work on low settings.

it is still part of their official min reqs.

Dr.Doom said:

Can someone tell me if Doom 3 will work on this?

E-machine
Windows XP home edition
256 mb ram (providing that I delete all my recent programs)
Pentium 3 procceser
2.60 Ghz procceser speed
80 GB hard-drive

nope your memory is too low, and the processor you cant get a p3 chip at 2.6ghz, and well emachines tend not to have the type of graphics card you would need for the games.

I have Doom3 loaded on 2 pc's.
The first one: 2.8 P4, 2 gigs DDR 3200( very expensive ram ), 865 chipset mobo, 5600 ultra video.
This application works great.

The second PC: AMD 2000+, 768 megs DDR 2100 ( generic cheapo ram ),
Radion 9600 pro video.
This application works fine too. So if anyone is close to either of these 2 pc's you will be fine.

I think the key will be Video and CPU speed. This game is very demanding and you better have atleast mid grade quality stuff.

I really wanna buy this game but i want some input from some of the players that already purchased this great game.I bought a system last may and I really dont know that much about system requirements.I already know i have enough power to run the game,but how well and how fast at high resolutions.What i am looking for is someone who has the same system i have(or close)I know the system requirements are on the box,but i dont trust what is printed on the box.Anyway here are my system specs and thank you so much in advance.BTW ,Congratulations to all who took place creating such an awesome and intense game.So here goes:
Pentium4 3.2G H&T technology
1024MB Memory
ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128mb.
Soundblaster Audigy 2.
Anybody with a machine with these specs.(or close to it.)Please fill me in as for your gaming experience with DOOM3.Thanx in advance

Yeah dude, that'd run it extremely nicely. I really wonder if you had to ask that question though, I mean that's a high-end system, most likely very new. So it's a high chance it'll work well.

Oh yeah, I have a system pretty much exactly the same, and I'm running at High-Detail and 1024x768. No AA. I'm from 15FPS to 60FPS, so I reckon you could even risk Ultra detail or 4xAA

Great system. The 9600 will not let you go high detail and maybe not high rez, but you can play Doom 3 just fine.

Ya, your system should run it. Maybe not at a high resolution but good enough to enjoy the game. Since I don't think I'm allowed to put the entire post here, I'll just put the part that concerns this thread. You can find it as a Sticky on the "Spoiler Filled" section of the forums.

ID'S OFFICIAL Minimum System Requirements

· English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP
· Pentium® 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ processor
· 384MB RAM
· 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
· 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows® swap file)
· 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
· 100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
· DirectX® 9.0b (included)
· 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.
o ATI® Radeon 8500
o ATI® Radeon 9000
o ATI® Radeon 9200
o ATI® Radeon 9500
o ATI® Radeon 9600
o ATI® Radeon 9700
o ATI® Radeon 9800
o All Nvidia® GeForce 3/Ti series
o All Nvidia® GeForce 4MX series
o All Nvidia® GeForce 4/Ti series
o All Nvidia® GeForce FX series
o Nvidia® GeForce 6800 series

Multiplayer Requirements:

· Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
· Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
· LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

Enjoy

I don't use AA and I don't notice the loss. I think AA in the Doom 3 engine is a waste, but that is my opinion.

Well I've gathered enough input from some great people out there.I appreciate the time and the help.Now I can go barrow some cash till payday and run down to Electronics boutique and by my own copy...thanx guys and sweet dreams!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I have very similar specs (I believe the only difference is I have 3ghz and you have 3.2ghz processer) and I can run it fine on medium quality. However if either of us upgrade it should be the video card, because a 256mb card (as opposed to our 9600 128mb) should be able to push it up to high quality. You will want to install the lastest ATI catalyst drivers, though, as that boosted performance A LOT :D

Pentium4 3.2G H&T technology
1024MB Memory
ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128mb.
Soundblaster Audigy 2.

If it wouldn't run good on your system we'd all be in trouble. I have a 2.8Ghz, 1024MB RAM and a ATI Radeon 9600 and it runs pretty good.

I play on 1024x768, Medium Setting. I downloaded the ATI Beta 4.9 Cataylst its improved the game play, feels smoother and looks better over all.

I have a hand-made machine:

2200+ Barton 1.72 GHz
512MB DDR RAM
256MB DDR VideoRAM
GeForce FX 5500

And by the way, the 2200+ Barton 1.72 GHz thing means that my CPU is really 1.72 GHz, but it processes at the speed of a Pentium3 2.2 GHz, IIRC.

By the way, I play at 640x480 on High Detail with 4xAA. :P

I've got a 9600 256mb, so i assume that would be good for high detail if i kept the resolution low? (and i have 'only' 512mb of RAM and a 2gig athalon...)

ive got a amd athlon XP 2000+ with 1024mb ram and a radion 9700 and i can run it on ultra at 800x600 (and most parts even with 4x anti-aliasing on) so ull have no problem running it

Hell Im still trying to figure out why Im lagging

AMD Athalon 3200+
512 (PC2700) DDR Ram
BFG GeforceFX5900 XTOC

Im gonna try the PK file thing and the reg edit tommorow

I just bought DOOM 3 yesterday for my two year old computer -- never been upgraded and I've never updated my sound/video drivers.

NO problems at all. The game selected Medium graphics based on my system specs but I've actually been able to play on High (a small amount of lag when in areas with lots of moving heavy machinery), although my eyesight is kind of poor so I have to play at 640 x 480 on a 17" monitor. I highly recommend headphones. Speakers leave out so much.

Pentium IV 2.54GB
512MB DDR Ram
120GB Hardrive
Nvidia GeForce4 MX440