Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

BOSS STRATEGIES (Extreme spoilers)

For those of us who cannot afford the $20 for a nice flashy strategy guide (I know I can't) I have written down some easy-to-follow boss strategies and sub-boss strategies...

First off, First boss:

Vagary - Not much of a "boss" per se as they appear more later on in the game in the excavation site, they DO however use telekinesis to manipulate objects and whip them at you.

Here's the trick: Keep AWAY from the sharp pointed objects (and other debris) and stay moving constantly. When you hear the "music" (you'll know the sound when you hear it) start jumping around while keeping your crosshair on the Vagary and pound away with whatever heavy weapon you have. I'd suggest the plasma gun or shotgun.

Don't know if you can get the rocket launcher that early or not. Anyways, all you need to do is NOT STAY STILL FOR ONE SECOND! The Vagary has a nasty tendency to try and shoot objects at you in a manner the gets you in a small crevice in the structure where she will corner and mince you alive. Stay AWAY from that crevice unless you like reloading.

Sub-boss: Mancubus (2) - This REALLY doesn't belong in the boss section, but since encounters are rare and difficult, I'll tell the player anyways... When you first are accosted by these you will have plenty of cover areas to duck into, DO IT! The thing about the monsters wielding fire/plasma in this game is that they like to lead you with their fire, meaning they try to anticipate where you're going (imps do this the most). Mancubi are no exception. The fastest (and easiest) way to dispatch them in the first scenario is to peek out and nail them with shotgun blasts from behind cover. Don't stay exposed too long because the fireballs DO travel fast.

Boss: Sarge/Tank - This is a tough mofo but requires no special "prerequisites" to defeat, just a little tactical prowess. First things first, get your plasma gun out. If you don't have one, you're probably going to be loading a lot, but it's still possible to manage. As SOON as the gigantic blast door BEGINS to open, deluge Sarge with plasma blasts or rockets. After he's halfway across the structure he'll unload on you with the BFG... Take out your plasma gun and shoot it down before it does too much damage (it will do it even behind cover while seeking). After this he'll roll along for a bit and try to whack you around. Basically the thing to remember is to keep an eye out for his BFG and to shoot the BFG projectiles down before they detonate. Otherwise, you'll be one unhappy camper.

Guardian - This huge titan of a boss is (thankfully) only encountered once, and thank God for small favors. THIS BOSS CAN NOT BE HURT BY JUST SHOOTING HIM! There are things floating about called "seekers" that need to be dispatched first. They will fly about and shine a floodlight on the player to show the way for the Guardian demon. Take ALL of them out while noting the relative location of the boss, since it is imperative to move quickly on the last one. Also, beware of his multi-directional fireballs. They hurt. His melee attack also works from a considerable distance.

When you have wasted the last from a specific batch of seekers, the Guardian will become vulnerable as he summons more seekers to aid his search. There will be a blue light shining above his back. Shoot the blue light with the heaviest weapon you have in your arsenal. You'll know it's working because the blue energy orb will glow red with each hit. Repeat this, being mindful of ammo and health supplies (there are a few scattered about in this area).

Cyberdemon - The big one. Looming roughly 30 feet high over the player, the Cyberdemon is the most formidable opponent there is and it is not practical to use small arms fire on him. At this (end) stage of the game, multitudes of monsters will emerge from the pits of hell to attack you with the cyberdemon. Kill 5 monsters until your soul cube is charged, then unleash it on the Cyberdemon. Please note that unlike Hell Knights and other "mini" bosses, the soul cube will NOT kill him in one hit. It takes closer to three or four hits altogether, and don't use conventional weapons. Not even the BFG does it for me...

Congratulations - you got the powerup and beat the game!

i was EXTREMELY dissapointed in the cyberdemon fight (though the cybie itself looks fantastic)

there should have been a lot more enemies, especially since you start in that room loaded with ammunition.

also, it should have taken like 10 hits from the soul cube. i mean, c'mon, its supposed to be the baddest mofo in the galaxy (or something like that).

the other fights were fun though (the spider was a bit anoying with its telekinetic abilities, but o well).

on a more amusing note, mancubi bounce really high when you kill them with a grenade as the final blow. (assuming it goes off at their feet, and not in their face). the hell knights sometimes bounce when they die as well (if u killed it with a charged BFG round or a rocket).

i think a mod where you have to bounce enemies into a goal (using explosives of course) would be neat.

For the Sarge, I just sprinted toward him as soon as I got into the room and used the Soul Cube on him. After that a few rockets or a steady beam of the plasma rifle should kill him in a couple of seconds. He didn't have a chance to use his BFG once. There's a medkit behind one of the pillars and some other ammo and armor things behind the others, so for me it was an incredibly easy boss fight.

But still I only played it in Normal mode. I don't see why the Soul Cube wouldn't work as well in the harder ones, though.

I just finished killing the Guardian. That was an awesome looking boss, and the level to get up to him was really cool. I felt like I was in hell. The Guardian looks a lot like Diablo (from Blizzard fame). I died a couple times before the soul cude started talking to me and told me how to beat the bastard.

I had a hard time with those seekers until I realized you could run around the map and they will eventually all converge into a tight little group, then it just takes one rocket shot to kill all three of them. After that the Guardian fell like a chump.

Wicked fun fight, that guardian.

-E

i think the guardian fight was the most fun id had from a boss fight in a while. cant explain why. maybe cause it was fun running around trying to hit those seekers with a rocket (i never used the rockets much in the game... was always afraid of the blast wave, especially since enemies tend to get in close and alot of the levels are cramped).

i gotta say though, i couldnt be more pleased with how ID did the rocket launcher (or the grenades) in this game.

God, I had the grenades. You can't even throw them to place them exactly where you want them. When Wolfenstein first came out grenade tosses use to take into account the player momentum. Once they realized how difficult it was they scraped it and made it a regular throw. I don't know what Id was thinking with Doom 3's grenades. He just kind drops them down in front of him. WTF is that? No one just drops a grenade down on the floor in front of them. Let me throw it.

-E

i always lobbed em pretty far

the damn things bounce a lot though

they also saved me a lot of fighting. id throw em around corners and shit- kill an imp waiting to pounce or a cherub- i hate those fucking cherubs. almost as much as the tentalce commandos. they have a long leap. easy to kill though.

Endureth said:

He just kind drops them down in front of him. WTF is that? No one just drops a grenade down on the floor in front of them. Let me throw it.

You realize you can charge up the throw right

Not that it matter because if you actually throw it the damn thing will bounce right back at you like a rubber ball.

Sarge was easy for me... just chaingun him... if he shoots BFG, shoot the green ball with your chaingun, the BFG projectile will explode near him and hurt him badly :D

Grenades worked pretty well on Vagary for me, as that was the only heavy weapon I had enough of at the time :)
I used some on the Mancubi as well to save on chaingun/plasma ammo :P

Generally if something other than an Imp is foring projectiles at me, I use the plasma gun because it'll take out the projectiles easiest.

yeah, but this is the bosses in order isnt it? Do you not fight the sarge if you chose a different path? I mean, my idea was that, does he not show up if you refused to send the distress signal, like Swann tells you to? Or does he show up AFTER the guardian?

something happens later that seems to negate whatever choice you made regarding the transmit... and yes Sarge is later on after gaurdian... although he is then called Saboath[spell?], or so the editor calls him.

Endureth said:

God, I had the grenades. You can't even throw them to place them exactly where you want them. When Wolfenstein first came out grenade tosses use to take into account the player momentum. Once they realized how difficult it was they scraped it and made it a regular throw. I don't know what Id was thinking with Doom 3's grenades. He just kind drops them down in front of him. WTF is that? No one just drops a grenade down on the floor in front of them. Let me throw it.

-E

If you hold down the attack key you will pitch it.

Black Hand said:

If you hold down the attack key you will pitch it.

That's great; I didn't know that. I wish there was a ticking ala RTCW so I could tell when they were gonna go off. But they're more tolerable now that I can throw them.

-E

Endureth said:

That's great; I didn't know that. I wish there was a ticking ala RTCW so I could tell when they were gonna go off. But they're more tolerable now that I can throw them.

-E

the louder the grenade whines, the closer it is to exploding. be careful, it WILL explode in your hand (so will an overcharged BFG).

i have the grenade bound to the G key so i can pull it out quickly to lob at stuff. i like how they will explode on impact with an enemy (or at least that seems to be the trend ive seen). they tend to launch mancubi straight up too.

The Sarge was cool, but the way he was bonded to a tank seemed a little too much like a cartoony Nintendo game. (Not that there's anything wrong with that). He was fun however, and I actually enjoyed the different style he looked like.

Am i alone in thinking that if the match with sarge was like a Quake 3 arena match 1v1 that it would be a really cool change of pace?

You know what boss Doom3 could have used? A Spider Mastermind! I don't get why they took that monsters out. Technically, that monster was the actual final boss in DOOM. They should've had a set of hellish maps after the CyberDemon fight, where you went into Hell and fought the source. Why didn't they? Why make it so short and anti-climactic? I'm guessing ID ran out of time, though? :( I just hope that there'll be DOOM3 - Hell on Earth with Arachnotrons, Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons and the Icon of Sin.

Grenades are good against zsecs/commandos. I also enjoy rolling them down holes/crevices and seeing what flies out... :)

I also came to Sarge with a loaded Soul Cube (sort of anticipated it) After shooting him with some weapons half-heartedly I shot him with the cube and he died. That was on Marine difficulty.
I wonder what amount of health the cube takes away from him (percentage-wise) on each skill level.

Sarge doesnt die instantly from the soul cube, but it takes off almost 80 percent i'd think. I used it first and he didnt die, but after a few more hits, he died

AirRaid said:

Generally if something other than an Imp is foring projectiles at me, I use the plasma gun because it'll take out the projectiles easiest.

you still have a big of way
once you get in to the cpu central, then you're going to face the Sarge, wich was infected and trasnformed into a mix of half tank half demon.

I lost about 20 health/armour killing sarge as opposed to dying like a thousand times before I figured out how to kill the guardian (no spoilers for me!), and even when I did got beat up some first.

Virgil said:

You know what boss Doom3 could have used? A Spider Mastermind! I don't get why they took that monsters out. Technically, that monster was the actual final boss in DOOM. They should've had a set of hellish maps after the CyberDemon fight, where you went into Hell and fought the source. Why didn't they? Why make it so short and anti-climactic? I'm guessing ID ran out of time, though? :( I just hope that there'll be DOOM3 - Hell on Earth with Arachnotrons, Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons and the Icon of Sin.

Grenades are good against zsecs/commandos. I also enjoy rolling them down holes/crevices and seeing what flies out... :)

Actually, I'm a part of a Mod team called Doom 3: Hell On Earth. We're creating new weapons (double barreled shotgun), new monsters (spider mastermind), and new maps. Here's a link, be sure to visit the forums!

http://d3hoe.d3files.com/