Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Reducing clutter in Doom folder

I have 119 wads in my current Doom folder (4 being iwads) and I use the drag-and-drop method to use pwads. Unfortunately, this makes the folder rather large and it takes awhile to drag a wad from the bottom of the folder. I have a folder for editing sprites, editing skies, and backups where .old .new and .bak files go. Would there be any way to reduce some of the clutter in my Doom folder? I could go back to having a seperate folder for each Doom but I don't like having to update each one when I find an update or change something in the .ini file for Zdoom.

Any suggestions?

I got rid of some stupid bex and deh files that I don't need and got rid of stupid wads, too. It's still rather big.

Drag and drop is crap unless you use PWADs scarcely... I don't need to tell you why; you're showing it.

You could set wads to open with ZDoom, and have it prompt for the IWAD when it starts. All you'd need to do is double-click a wad, choose the right IWAD, and play. You could keep your PWADs in their own folder(s) for neatness. As for external DeHackEd files, doesn't ZDoom allow you to load them internally through the console?

keep wads in a seperate place, make some batch files, then copy the one you want to play into the main folder and edit the batch file to play it, thats what i do anyway

EXAMPLE:

PWADS are all in C:/PWADS
ZDoom and IWADS are in C:/ZDoom

you go to the Run option under the start menu and type:

C:/ZDoom/zdoom -file "C:/PWADS/3057hub1.wad"

or whatever the wad's name is.

I use the drag-and-drop method all the time. Oh well...

How do you load deh and becks files through the console?

Through the command line .deh and .bex files are loaded with the "-deh" and "-bex" options, respectively
like so:

zdoom -file whatever.wad -deh dehfile[.deh] -bex bexfile[.bex]

In the console, you can add .deh files (and possible .bex files) to run automatically with the "def_patch" command. Consult the ZDooM documentation.

EDIT: Oh, crap, ehmm, well, that's how you did it in the older ZDooM. I don't know if it still works with the newer betas...

Yeah, who knows.

You might want to use a response file for additional commands. They're just text files that are very easy to click-edit with notepad.

Its quite simple to keep the drag and drop method easy. Put the game and the wads in seperate folders, open them both, and then right click the taskbar -> tile vertically

Well, easier than with one bigger folder, sure, but still a bit of a drag (pardon the pun) with two separate open folders... not to mention it alters the browser window dimensions; never liked that myself.

There's another pretty cool way, though; a Quick Launch shortcut or a shortcut in the links folder under Favorites, the ones that show up on the Toolbars. Try it.

Nevermind, I'm good. I just put all my texts and unimportant stuff into a new folder. No more clutter.

me = ZDoom shortcut on desktop and a shortcut to my pwads folder which has sub folders sorted by Doom1 or Doom2 then by roughly how many levels...

7 or less = Maps/Half Episode
8-ish or more = Episodes
15-ish or less = Half MegaWad
20 or more = MegaWad

a few clicks and a drag to my desktop Zdoom icon and im all set :)

You could also maybe try a frontend... zdoom.org/wiki look under frontends, there are a couple there(I use Unleashed), there is also one on the zdoom downloads page, and I think there are a couple others just floating around the internet...

Drag and drop is useful in many instances, but you just need to do it in a smarter way. I have an icon for the ports I use most on my taskbar (this includes separate ones for glboom/udoom and glboom/doom2). I can then drag the wad(s) onto the appropriate icon. This can also be done from inside Winzip.

The only time this is a pain is when I need to drag and drop several wads/dehs/lmps onto the icon, and they are not close together alphabetically. Then it's time for a command line (which is necessary anyway when I want to use -record, -warp, -fast or what<b></b>not). I have also set it up so that right-clicking on a wad brings up a list of ways to play it (I've done the same with lmps too).

I've got more than 7000 files in my Doom(2) folder (and nearly 52000 including the subfolders), and never have any real problems launching the stuff I want.

OMFG you have a lot of stuff.

Anyway, it doesn't really bother me having to drag stuff up a little bit but if it takes like 12 minutes to get to the top of the folder, then there's a clutter problem.

Actually, I thought Opulent kept a back-up of the entire idgames archive.

Anyway, the point here is that it is possible to handle a large number of files without undue difficulty if you set things up appropriately.