Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incubusspawn

Well does Doom 3 deserve the title Doom ?

Without spoiling it for me, how does the old Doom fans feel about Doom 3 now that they have it. I cant play it yet (sniff) if you want to help me with that I have a post called Windows in tech support zip on over and help :) But for the General topic area I thought I would at least get a feel for how well done it was. Keep in mind you are telling someone who really did not like quake/s And does like Unreal and am salivateing for the mere concept of playing another DOOM. :)
So no quake comparisons it wont be telling me anything :D thanks.

Doom 3 is definitely worthy of the title Doom. Though the gameplay isn't as addictive as the original Doom, the graphics and AI make up for the small faults. Besides, you have to keep in mind that there are going to be TONs of mods and a few patches that are going to be released not too far down the road. The game is only a few days old so don't let a whole lot of negative feedback influence you.

It's true that there were a lot of things that should have been included but weren't but non of them were really necessary. It was more of a "couldn't hurt" situation.

The graphics are phenominal (if you machine can support them) and the effects\sounds are great as well. The scare factor really depends on the person. Some people scare easier than others but I can assure you that there are some disturbing sequences and images that you'll face in the game. I'd definitely recommend this game because the SP is fun, the Multi-Player, though kinda crappy right now, is going to flourish very soon. Originally it could only hold 4 people, then it can hold 8 people w/ a mod, and now you have hold 32 PEOPLE (thats right, 32) with a recent mod that just came out! So just keep in mind that this engine is a real treat for modders and mappers out there and this game is going to have more mods than HL itself by the end of the month.

The game is less than a week old and there are already over 20 mods for it right now.

I do believe that it definitly earned the right to be entitled doom, however I wonder why people keep complaining about the gameplay. It's typical run and gun, which is exactly what id said it would be. For me the action is quite intense, strafing, dodging imp fire balls. Taking as much cover as i can in a fire fight, running up to enemies with the shottie so I can hit them with as many parts of a shell as I can. Its exactly what I was expecting personally, and with the my only gripe being that Imps are way to prevelant I think it is awesome. I see small nuances in the level design and enemy placement that harken back to the old doom games. Like in the delta labs, their is a portion where the floor falls out and your surrounded by monsters in tight quarters, or a few hours back being in this long hallway that seems empty, until all the shutters roll up and zombies + imps start coming out of the woodwork like a flood. To me that is what the original doom was like, it had more open areas yes, but really....they aren't overly missed by myself. I'm sure opinions differ and that is perfectly fine with me, i just know I'm happy with it.

why people keep complaining about the gameplay. It's typical run and gun,

Heh, anyone who complains that its "run and gun" should play the originals, this is a doom game aftr all, what where they expecting?

incubusspawn said:

Keep in mind you are telling someone who really did not like quake/s And does like Unreal and am salivateing for the mere concept of playing another DOOM. :)

No, you can not play this game like you could the original doom games, I’m positive a mod will come out and they will alter the game specifically to accomplish that, but as of now it plays more like Metal gear solid then Doom 1.

Well you can't run into a room and mow down everyone without care. Why?

Much better graphics -> fewer creatures at a time -> more powerful creatures. If someone could mod it so everything takes half the shots they do now, and quad the number of baddies will make this much more Doom1/2 like.

That being said my major beef with Doom1 and Doom2 was that there wasn't a single baddy who could hurt me. It takes ten o them to put you in danger (or a complete ammo shortage).

DOOM is, and will always be, the best PC game ever made (considering the state of the art at the time). DOOM2 was a nice continuation for those who were addicted and needed more. I could not get into Quake when it was released.

DOOM3 definitely brought me back to the feeling of the old DOOM, with superb graphics and sound. I started on Marine difficulty because I did not want to simply blast monsters, I wanted to be in that constant state of "OMG, where are the health kits?"

I think doom3 is Doom in a modern setting. Still on mars, still fighting demons in a creepy atmosphere. I can't think of any other way I would hav liked it after the first 2 action packed titles. This one takes a different turn, but still, I say it is very worthy.

From what I've played, Doom3 is as much Doom as Doom was ;) I've found it to be extremely doom-like, in the sense "LIEK OMG! AN IMP!" *imp tosses fireball* "AH!! HIDE BEHIND THIS WALL!!"*pops back out and caps imp*. :P Strafing/knowing where to "hide" is extremely helpful. Actually, knowing were to be a wuss and hide is even better. Seeings I have no soundcard, in the part where you walk up, the lights go out, and a zombie walks down with a flash light, I had to hide under the stairs for a change(3rd attempt at this part)and I got all 3 of em with minimal damage(ok, so a little undoomlike with the wuss/hide tactic but oh well :P)

I see that a lot in here. But that goes for everything. In some cases deserved but ot here I hope. I personally am glad there is ai for the F.R.E.D.S and I really hope that in Doom 3 they are demons and not shape changeing aliens called F.R.E.D.S ( anyone read the doom books and you know what I am talking about ;) )

I really was just curious as my op system is win 98 and I cant get a hex editor to work so I can tweak it so I can play the game for now. ( hopefully have xp soon )

I probably could have simply asked, are we happy with the adaption to our favorite doom Targets? And is it doom and not quake 4 with doom monsters in it. ;)

"Doom...Doom...Thulsa Doom..."

Quote from Conan the Barbarian by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter. This was the chant of the Vanir as their lord rode into the crowd.

Give me Doom or give me death!

the game follows through with the story very well- and the only part missing was the mars moon anomalies, but they just put those on the planet itself so that is all good :) i luv the creepy envirenment and the high paced gameplay.

No, it does not play like the original dooms at all... well not toatlly

You cant run away and hide from the monsters, the levels are all just straight lines, in fact you literally never have a choice of paths, if you see two doors ahead of you, you can bet that 99% of the time one of them is locked

People forgot how "old school" used to play, load up a map like "The Factory", or even the 2nd level of Doom1, and you see how much MORE free and open the levels were.

There arent any real secrets, like in the original games where you could explore the level and find stuff on the other side of the map.

However, there are a bunch of really cheap "wall-falls-down" scares, but the original doom didnt use them as much as doom3 uses them

One good thing thats similar : Nice weapon balance, even though i dont like the weapons, thats still a really good thing for multi-player

I may have mentioned this before, but Id isn't big on big open spaces. blah blah blah removes from atmesphere blah blah blah [insert long winded drivel here and some over there] You get the point.

Black Hand said:

I may have mentioned this before, but Id isn't big on big open spaces. blah blah blah removes from atmesphere blah blah blah [insert long winded drivel here and some over there] You get the point.

well they arent now, but back in the "Dead Simple" or "Living End" days they were, and this thread is about whether or not doom3 comparees to the old ones

Black Hand said:

I seem to recall a LOT of old Doom, Doom 2, UDoom, and Final Doom levels which were nothing BUT open spaces...also, RTCW has many open spaces as well...A LOT (including the last lvl).

back then you could not look up either. I think heretic was our first experience with this. SO you just didnt notice that the cieling was actually very close. There is a big differance between the illusion of a large outdoor place, and a large playable outdoor space. It was one of Unreals big appeal.

S1lent said:

I seem to recall a LOT of old Doom, Doom 2, UDoom, and Final Doom levels which were nothing BUT open spaces...also, RTCW has many open spaces as well...A LOT (including the last lvl).

I was refering specifically to doom 3, sorry for the confusion.

I dont think it lives up to the orignals. There really is no comparison to the quality of the games. This one is a good game no doutb, but it lacks that feeling of awe the first one inspired.

They try way too hard to scare you in doom 3. I really wish this game could scare me, but having an imp jump out at you as soon as you open a door for the hundreth really doesnt do it for me. I stopped getting scared of that kind of shit after playing system shock 2 and seeing what a scary game is REALLY about.

It doesnt help that all the monsters sound like they just took sound bits from jurassic park and altered them a bit. Everything sounds like an animal or something, not like a satanic demon from hell. If the creatures had sounded scary I think it would have improved this game in my eyes 10 fold. That one part where you hear the voice say "they stole my baby..." thats the one time It kind of unnerved me... lasted about as long as it took for me to find another dilophosaurus imp to screech in my face.

The graphics are great no doubt, but by the lighting engines very nature you dont really get to see most of what is so cool unless you shine your flash light on something and circle around it for a minute. The models and the details on them impress me much much more than the lights and shadows. That fat zombie is the most detailed and realistic looking humanoid ive ever seen in a game period. The animation is outstanding.

But despite all this its still a good game. Maybe my opinion will improve as I play, I really want to love this game as much as everyone seems to be. Hell, I spent a pretty penny building a computer for this game so noone wants to love it more than me but its not hit me yet :(

So to answer the original question, no, I dont feel it really does so far.

Heh I know what your saying, The demons remind me more of humanoid dinosaurs then actual daemons, tossing in the stereotypical "horned daemon" occasionally wouldn't have hurt. The imp’s suck, that’s been discussed to death, even the dooms 3 fanatical Jihadists don’t question that. (Actually they really do but seriously, screw them.) Yea Doom 3 rarely has a chance to take advantage of its graphics or physics engine, but that what mods are for.

All and all id say that the game gives its own impression of the doom universe justice and is thus worthy of the “doom” title.