Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kenny McCormick

Original Doom trailer???

Heh, this was 1993, a 14.4k modem was considered fast, "downloading video clips" was a charming theory (though nowadays youre not allowed to properly download them either, the scum expect you to stream it every time you want to watch it, but thats another rant entirely)

Well an Imp could get around that problem. Just pull up the source code, and put the embedded vid link into your browser bar. Then it'll spit into your Temp. Internet Files, hopefully, and you can just copy it out to another folder to watch locally.

With Quicktime movies, all you have to do is stop the movie while it loads, then afterwards right-click on the status bar and select "Save As Quicktime Movie".

If there had been one (and I've no idea about that - don't recall anything), then in those days its primary means of circulation would probably have been via magazine cover disks.

Exactly. There was really no need for a trailer though, if you wanted to check out the game you could just download or find the shareware somewhere (like a magazine disc or those old game cd subscriptions).

deathbringer said:
Heh, this was 1993, a 14.4k modem was considered fast, "downloading video clips" was a charming theory

Yeah, back then it was screen shots at most. That's one reason why the shareware release was such a good idea.

It would have been cool to see a trailer of such and old game, i do it with movies all the time.. cause old news is so exciting!

though nowadays youre not allowed to properly download them either, the scum expect you to stream it every time you want to watch it, but thats another rant entirely

Two words: Packet Sniffer

This is the only truly reliable way to get around that shit (works well for flash as well). It's especially nice for those "sample" videos that give you a sample by stopping after a given amount of time using CG instructions embedded in the address. I've gotten hour long videos before by playing 10 second clips.

A good one is Project URL Sniffer.

myk said:

You might like this radio ad, then.

Haha. Man, I've listened to this so many times. However, this time, I notice when the one guy says "SOMETHING EEEVIL" he sounds like Tom Green.

Ralphis said:
I notice when the one guy says "SOMETHING EEEVIL" he sounds like Tom Green.

Perhaps it's Shawn Green!

my god man are you crazy! we had 14.4k modems, if we were lucky, no internet - BBS's, and the fact that shareware DOOM was around 6mb it would be quicker to download that (very painfully slooooow), then to even comprehend such a thing was fantasy. I think we really say video when win95 came out, and came with that Weezer film clip (you know the one where they play at Arnold's from Happy Days) the quailty was terrible, and the filesize enormous. Anytime we had to consider such new advancements in technology were being confined to the realms of DOOM.

Imagine never seeing anything better than say, EGA games like KEEN, Captain Comic and eventually VGA games like WOLF3d.

Then all of a sudden someone gives you Doom, you load it onto your humble little 486, and all of a sudden you're shown this dark moody ambient game with monsters and BLOOD! everyWHERE! digital sound and a weapon that's called the BIG FUCKING GUN - we wouldn't of cared if they were gonna release the next StarWars movie (rumoured to be being made around the same timeframe) all we cared about was DOOM (for the next 3 years at least)

Perhaps in the US there was a TV commercial, but remember PC games diddn't make the money they do today, it was basically games like DOOM that boosted the industry, there was probaly no money to dream of such a thing in the begining. But once it took off the national/international media probaly did all the work for them.

But what I would like to know is what ever happened to the supposed MOVIE ADAPTION - no shit I read this back in '96, I never say it mentioned much before, but it stated that work had begun a DOOM movie, but Carmack etc. wanted a true to form horror that would of landed an <R>18+ rating at the time, and when most fans are between 14-23 meant bad sales. the creators of DOOM refused to let the story be made into some Disney demon romp and it was scrapped.
(or it was more like they were with a small film company that diddn't want to spend the money to do it properly)
these days as long as there's no too many naked women in the it such a movie would get a mere ma15+

perhaps with the new Horror movie style of gameplay, that someone will make the obvious conclusion that DOOM would make one gory badass movie! but if George Clooney plays the DOOM GUY I aint gonna see it :p

Actually there has been some RECENT NEWS about that MOVIE ADAPTION, its now going to be based on DOOM 3 and early reposts show it might come out NEXT YEAR but we'll have to WAIT AND SEE (No shit!, i saw it on the front page a few days ago!)

but its still not as good as watching it, sounds just arnt the same.. still good though

in reply to the DOOM movie -

Finally, there's the long-in-development "Doom" movie. Bounced around Hollywood for years, the rights to the film now rest with Universal Pictures. And, barring production delays, it now looks like the film could be a reality.

Shooting is set to begin this fall in Prague, said Hollenshead. A script is in hand. And pre-production is already underway.

"I have never been more confident that there will be a Doom movie in the next 18 months," he said.

was here - http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/12/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm