Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
useless warrior

Self Shadows in Single player

I don't know if any of you have noticed but in multiplayer your marine will cast shadows all over the place where as in single you can't see your own shadow. While I haven't dug into the console as of yet, I'm wondering if there is anyway to enable this in single player because frankly I find the effect kinda neat. I'm also wondering why ID disabled it in the first place.

Yeah there is.

I think in your doomconfig.cfg this:
seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
should be set to:
seta g_showPlayerShadow "1"

It really adds a little to the game. Sometimes your own shadow can freak you out.

- Damon

Hmmm. That's good to know. I was a little upset I didn't cast a shadow, especially after how awesome it was in Thief 3.

I made the changes to the config and it does add a little more to the game, there is also one for increasing the lighting.

It was probably turned of because it really looks bad is some situations. Depending on where you are it can become somewhat jagged. Sometimes it just plain looks weird. This might just be due to my hardware setup.

I leave it on nonetheless. It occasionally makes me jump :P

Is there anything too make the flashlight have a much larger beam(FIll a whole room like a real flashlight that a marine would have)?

A marine flashlight doesn't fill an entire room with a single beam. Sure light will reflect off the walls and make it a little lighter, but it won't be as bright as the beam. Besides, making the beam bigger takes away from the scare factor of the darkness.

Question: do multiple light-sources cast multiple (different) shadows from the Doom guy?

ie. two (or more) lights in a room, two (or more) shadows of yourself sloping away in two (or more) different directions?

I think I read somewhere that the player shadow is only enabled on high quality by default.

the lone crouton said:

Question: do multiple light-sources cast multiple (different) shadows from the Doom guy?

ie. two (or more) lights in a room, two (or more) shadows of yourself sloping away in two (or more) different directions?

Yes.

Well I'm running in high and it wasn't on by default. I gotta recommend turning it on because it most sititions it looks really cool. Nothing like waiting for that imp to come around the corner, shotgun in hand and seeing your own shadow on the wall panting. It really adds something to the whole experiance. I'll admit it does look wierd sometimes but it looks cool alot more often.

There are only 2 things I don't like about the shodows.

1. The shadow falls on my gun and that gets really annoying because it's sometimes glitchy.

2. It blacks out anything on the floor in front of me. If I wanted to check out a demon or a zombie I just shot, I can't because my shadow's in the way.

Turning on your own shadow adds a whole lot more to the game, you'd be surprised. There's those few times though when the lighting in the room will lead to my shadow appearing right in front of me or something and scaring the shit out of me, lol.

Maybe it's just me but has anyone else noticed that the plasma gun doesn't light up your surroundings when you shoot. Only the gun itself will but not the rounds that are being fired into the distance. Same goes with the rocket launcher.

Holering said:

Maybe it's just me but has anyone else noticed that the plasma gun doesn't light up your surroundings when you shoot. Only the gun itself will but not the rounds that are being fired into the distance. Same goes with the rocket launcher.

g_projectilelights 1
g_muzzleflash 1

Solves your problems.

Mancubus II said:

g_projectilelights 1
g_muzzleflash 1

Solves your problems.

Why did Id do that, they put the game code right there they just turned it off. It takes it away from people who aren't die hard gamers.

Actually the plasma and rocket projectiles to not emit any light. The plasma explosion doesn't either, but the rocket's explosion makes a quick burst of light. Only the BFG projectile emits any light.

Mancubus II said:

g_projectilelights 1
g_muzzleflash 1

Solves your problems.

Um no it doesn't. I'm gonna try that decal thing that other guy/girl mentioned.

Edit: it was already on

Goliath said:

Why did Id do that, they put the game code right there they just turned it off.

Deathmatcher said:

Why are so many cool effects turned off by default, I´d like to know?

They were on by default...
Ultra Detail doesn't make a differance. .. Look who cares they probly intended em not to light up the surroundings