Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Why is Kenneth Scott the lead artist?

I always thought that Adrian Carmack and Kevin Clound were the lead designers. They are company co-owners and they developed the orginal Doom. So why are they listed as artists, instead of lead artists in Doom3 ?

Yeah...but WHY ? Why is one of the "rookies" the lead artist. If I was Adrian, I wouldn´t be fine with that decision. It´s like if Robert Duffy came up going "I want to be the engine coder this time". John would not be pleased.

Deathmatcher said:

Yeah...but WHY ? Why is one of the "rookies" the lead artist. If I was Adrian, I wouldn´t be fine with that decision. It´s like if Robert Duffy came up going "I want to be the engine coder this time". John would not be pleased.

1) If you were Adrian, you'd be pleased because you would be Adrian and think what he thinks.
2) Robert Duffy is the lead programmer, not Carmack, but that doesn't mean Carmack isn't doing what he does best.

Maybe Adrian and Kevin didn't care much, except for getting the job done... I seem to recall they were pretty much forced to make the game in question (a la Creative.)

Shaviro said:

1) If you were Adrian, you'd be pleased because you would be Adrian and think what he thinks.
2) Robert Duffy is the lead programmer, not Carmack, but that doesn't mean Carmack isn't doing what he does best.

1) uuhm,... WHAT???

2) I know, that Robert Duffy is the lead programer. It was just an example to ilustrate the point, what it would be like, if some of the newbies got the job of the leaders.

You have a pretty narrow view, just because the owners of the company own it and have been there the whole time, doesn't mean that they should be the "leaders" on a given project, or that they would even want to. Sometimes it's MUCH easier to follow than to lead, especially if it's on a project you're not totally excited about (as Cloud and Adian were not about Doom 3) and I doubt they are worried about losing influence within the company they OWN.

Ok. Fans might be worried, that the only people that were there the time Doom was created, did not even play the leading role this time, though.

Anyways, do you think Adrian and Cloud weren´t excited about Doom3 in the end? Cloud gave this interview were he stated that he wasn´t pleased at the beginning but totally changed his mind. Maybe this was just some bla bla to tame the press and fans?!

Deathmatcher said:

Ok. Fans might be worried, that the only people that were there the time Doom was created, did not even play the leading role this time, though.

Yep, that probably explains the sometimes lacklustre monster design.

John Carmack is technical director. I'm sure his counterparts who make up design are playing similar roles. They set the technical direction of the company and products, and oversee the results. They're probably not production developers any more. The answer is they don't need to be lead on development and design. They have people who are just as creative and talented as developers to do that. Setting the technical direction is more constructive use of their time, and I guarantee you that the lead designer is NOT a "rookie".

I agree with you, Cobalt. This means, They have leaders, like

Tim Willits - lead designer
Ken Scott - lead artist
Robert Duffy - lead programer.

Then, the directors are some kind of Uber-lead-Whatever. Like John Carmack being technical director, Adrian and Kevin should be Creative Directors or the like, instead of just artists.

But whatever. If Adrian and Kevin decided that "artist" is the right term for what they´ve done on Doom3, it´s ok for me. Maybe they are just modest persons. Adrian never showed up on any of the doom3 interviews over the last 4 years, actually.