Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZiGZaG

Eight legged FrEaKs!!!

Okay so you have trites and ticks...Did I miss something? Trites were everywhere but seemed like I only saw the ticks 1 time when you come back from hell. I've only played through the game once, I may be wrong...Also I was in an area and it seemed like the trites were exploding. They were not very close to me and it was to dark to tell but were those the trites or the ticks? If they were the trites why did only a select few in certain areas explode? and not all trite encounters.

Im in the Comm tower and ive seen a chi load of em. Its the Trites that are rare. I read somewhere they were something the Vagary threw your way, or summoned.. or something. But they had to do with her.

I cannot remember ever fighting a Tick, although Linguica tells me they are in the game. Load of Trites... Trites make a very distinctive sound, which the Ticks do not make. (tested that by spawning some) I think ticks are spawned by vagaries, possibly, im not sure. I saw something small and spiderlike emerge from a vagary at one point but it died pretty quickly cos at that point I fired the BFG.

DMFDxUconn said:

Oh, and that IS a Trite.

Trite - http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/trite.jpg
Tick - http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/tick.jpg

Tick:
Usually attacks in swarms from holes in walls or a splits in gratings. Ticks attack by biting and exploding which can deal "tremendous" amounts of damage. They are one of the game's weakest enemies making them easy to pick off from a distance before they go kamikaze on your ass.

Trite:
The offspring of the Vaguary, these upside-down head spiders travel in packs and are very often not seen until they are ready to spring forward and attack you. Often traveling along the ceiling and walls, they rappel to the ground using their webs and quickly creep up on you.

Taken from here:
http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/enemies/

Its hard to tell in that SS, i assumed from the description it was a Tick. My bad if its not.

I maintain that I haven't seen any Ticks ingame. All small spiders I've seen have been trites, and made the trite sound. Ticks make a small squeaking sound rather than the hissing/breathing sound of the trite.

Ticks appear after you return from Hell the first time and you're back in the labs with no weapons. They spawn continuously in hall way you have to go down.

Yeah, they're encountered like 3/4 of the way through the game. I believe it was before Sarge.

The ticks don't have an introduction so I'd assume that the higher level difficulty you have, the more you see them. Personally, I didn't see them until I had the Soul Cube. And they're a pain in the butt. The only thing that sucks more than fighting a swarms of enemies is fighting a swarm of enemies when you're still trying to regain all your guns and ammo.

S1lent said:

The ticks don't have an introduction so I'd assume that the higher level difficulty you have, the more you see them. Personally, I didn't see them until I had the Soul Cube. And they're a pain in the butt. The only thing that sucks more than fighting a swarms of enemies is fighting a swarm of enemies when you're still trying to regain all your guns and ammo.

My thoughts exactly. Only time I remember seeing them is when you get back from hell. When you leave the Main Teleporter room and near the bridge that's melted in the center. Swarms of ticks start coming out. Trites you see all the time coming out of cracks in the walls, from the floor or dropping down from the ceiling, they are the first spider type you come across after crawling through the duct work.

the only thing I liked about ticks and trites other than being easy to kill is they can charge your soul cube quickly haha.

S1lent said:

The only thing that sucks more than fighting a swarms of enemies is fighting a swarm of enemies when you're still trying to regain all your guns and ammo.

Correction: The only thing that sucks more than fighting swarms of [spider-esk monsters] is fighting a big monster at the same time. Not having weapons back is annoying too, yes.

Addition: And you only have shotgun shells.

Epistax said:

Correction: The only thing that sucks more than fighting swarms of [spider-esk monsters] is fighting a big monster at the same time. Not having weapons back is annoying too, yes.

Addition: And you only have shotgun shells.

There's more weapons besides the shotgun? Shotgun was my weapon of choice just about the whole game. I was running around with maxed machine gun ammo, usually full plasma ammo, rockets etc. I would switch between shotgun and chaingun primarily the whole game. Until I got the soul cube that little deal was the shiznit.

You must find many more shells than I, or have perfect aim. For me, shotgun is a total waste on the spiders. Either you kill one and waste a shell, or you miss and waste a shell. Two pistol shots do the trick.

Yeah I was the same way with the shotgun. Used it 95% of the time. There's enough ammo in the game for it. I don't recall ever dipping below 100 shells before I went to hell.

But for trites? No, I don't like the shotgun. It's rate of fire is too slow to keep up with the swarms, and since the shotgun is best up close, and the last thing you want is a trite up close, it just loses it's effectiveness. If I have a good spot, I'll use the pistol to take out the trites. If the spot is less than ideal, then the machine gun will do.

DMFDxUconn said:

Trite Image

*COUGH* 'The Thing' rip-off *COUGH*

Epistax said:

You must find many more shells than I, or have perfect aim. For me, shotgun is a total waste on the spiders. Either you kill one and waste a shell, or you miss and waste a shell. Two pistol shots do the trick.

I usually had 180+ shells...at one point I think I had close to 200 shells.

Shotgun on Trites? yes 2 Shots from the pistol was decent for the swarm but...if you miss. The spread pattern on the shotgun would hit something in the swarm. I could usually pick off 2 trites in 2 shots hitting both, one semi-directly the other would catch the spread pattern.

If you know how to back-pedal and dance around to avoid attacks the shotgun is all-around the best weapon. Only time I could use plasma was to kill the commando or I would switch to rocket to kill the chaingun commando at a distance. Once I got the soul cube I would save it for the Archvile. Other than those mobs it was shotgun all the way.

yeah, the shotgun was pretty much my work horse, well the shotgun and machine gun.

i wish the shotgun had a little bit better grouping. i mean i shot a wall from probobly 15 feet a way and the spread was incredibly wide.

but yeah, shotgun + shift key = dead everything. i didnt even bother shooting down a revenants rockets, just run right at am and dodge by, they usually hit the wall when thry try to curve around and hit me. so i run up and give the reve a mouthful of shotgun. he tries to punch me and i backpedal while im pumping the slide and charge back in to give him another dose.

i opted to use rockets or chain gun for the commandos though (the one with the chainguns, you can duck under the tentical commandos tenticle, but be moving backwards... they will run up and kick you in the face). also, shotgun on a mancubus more often than not yielded one very toasted marine.

Godshatter said:

but yeah, shotgun + shift key = dead everything. i didnt even bother shooting down a revenants rockets, just run right at am and dodge by, they usually hit the wall when thry try to curve around and hit me. so i run up and give the reve a mouthful of shotgun. he tries to punch me and i backpedal while im pumping the slide and charge back in to give him another dose.

Yes the ole bob in and out routine works on the rev. he doesn't know to swing at you or fire a rocket. Keep him confused and everytime you move in blast him in the face with the shotgun...Works everytime. hehe

Speaking of running in, I use to do that a lot in Doom just bust up in a room stuff coming out everywhere and pwn. But doesn't seem you can do that effectively in D3...Maybe it's because I haven't played through the game 300+ times....yet...hehe