Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cajun[CC]

Doom Nostalgia

So far in the game, I've noticed a general lack of nostalgic elements. I was kinda hoping there would be more in that area. They didn't even re-use the old UAC logo. I think I saw the old logo once on a broken wall in Delta Labs, but that's the only time I can remember. There were only two other nostalgic things that stuck out in my mind. One was a part where you walk across a thin, twisty path through green slime. The other was the fight against two hell knights, reminiscent of E1M8.

Anyone have others that I might have missed?

Well deep down in the "caverns" you see some familiar looking "hexagonal" floor plates, and that’s about it actually.

Cajun[CC] said:
They didn't even re-use the old UAC logo.

Yes they did. Check the binder on the desk at reception.

Actually, they have high-res versions of the good old DooM 1 computer wall textures strewn around DooM 3. And you even see the inserted chipsets in back of one of those exposed panels. :D

Then there's the two Hell Knights just before the Hellgate, reminded me of the Bruiser Brothers (episode 1 baron bosses) from the original DooM. This is becasue in both games that's the first time you saw that sort of creature.

Read the Doom3 easter egg thread. It features quite a number of throwbacks to the original series... and other id games as well.

Lotta old school stuff here, it doesn't come out and say "hey I'm old school" but for those of us who have played doom to death it should definatly strike the chord of familarity.

In example, the walls opening up to reveal monsters when you least or most suspect it.

There are other things about the game that just make it feel like classic doom that are harder to nail down. Just the level design gives me flashes of doom, and quake 1 and 2 for that matter. The combat system definatly feels like doom despite having alot less monster, they really were trying to capture that intensity. If you don't see it try playing on harder difficulty and then you should see what I mean.

When you pick up the keycard in the room you had to dispose of the toxic barrels, listen closely to the sound it makes when you pick it up. There's nostalgic stuff in the game. Some of you just are playing to fast to notice. :-)

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 is nothing but a nostalgia trip, except with a big turkey. The punching hand, the background, both taken straight from the original DooM game (except the hand is mirrored).

The cover for "Game Hog" magazine is another.

There's lots more. Look around and keep your ears open.

Hello, I'm following Jomero today.

The mancubus makes at least two sounds which seem like direct rips from Doom 2. They are remastered though.

When you're at the Delta Labs, when you get to the stone tablets, look at the one on the left. It shows the Doomguy from the original Doom being attacked by Barons. The only difference is he has the Soul Cube instead of a shotgun.

Yeah they put the soulcube in his previously empty hand and removed the machine gun from his other hand, making it look like he is doing the michael jack crotch grab.

He never had an empty hand. he was wielding a shotgun in one hand, and a chaingun-like thing (kind of a mix between chaingun and BFG) in the other. Just FYI. :-)

-Jomero

Oh its on...
Yeah I know what your talking about, but there are many different version of that picture. The poster that came with ultimate doom(still hanging in my room to this day) has him empty handed, but I have seen the version you are refering to as well.

useless warrior said:

Oh its on...
Yeah I know what your talking about, but there are many different version of that picture. The poster that came with ultimate doom(still hanging in my room to this day) has him empty handed, but I have seen the version you are refering to as well.

Ah. Don't remember that poster. All I know is that the ORIGINAL version of it had him wielding 2 weapons. :-)

I have infront of me the doom 1 cd case bought in 1995(i was 7 then, scariest thing ever). on it, he is holding a plasma rifle shooting into a crowd of enemies. a marine is running for him in the background, and his empty hand is useless for its being pulled down by an imp/hk. the peculiar thing is theres a small demon witha forearm rocket launcher?

There might not be anything "in your face" as far as nostalgia from the other dooms. But, there was a few times in the game when moving through the corridors where I had flashbacks of other Doom/Doom 2 .wad files I had played. I would stop and feel like Deja Vu and think "wow this is a great game" lol.

they used the old UAC logo many a time in doom3. just look around. binders, walls, crates, walls, windows, crates, binders. ok they used it alot

only you had free look. Oh ya, and you had the new engine and the new generation graphics. Oh and don't forget the shadowing and the new sounds. And the cinematics, can't forget those. Oh and the actual storyline...almost left that one out. Also the new demons, zombies, levels, and weapons...that and it's on PC and you can mod it....and it has multi-player.... other than that, I'd say it's like doom64

useless warrior said:

Oh its on...

Hah, I have that very same poster.