Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incubusspawn

Doom Monster Rivalries

I haven't noticed any. In fact I was hopeing for the classic al monsters fought achother to the death when you die :D I use to deliberately die in areas of hundreds of monsters just to watch the show and root for the mancubus. but there was other rivalries as well.

Ceyberdemon and Mastermind ( I remember when I sat back watching these two fight, unable to decide wich I wanted to fight I let them decide )
I dont remember the others too much I think the Barons had an issue with one of the Big Floaty Ball Guys.
I am on the level after you get the chainsaw, and have not seen anything of this sort yet, they didnt take it out of the game did they?

Still there, it's just rarer because you never have as many monsters on screen as you did in the original.

As far as I remember, only Heretic (maybe Hexen too) makes the all the monsters fight to death when they killed you.
And this happens even if they did not hit each other, they will just attack each other like crazy :)
Even maulotaurs will rip each others guts :P

God, Painkiller is awesome for that! Seeing 20 dudes of 3 types go at it and tear each other to pieces is great. I don't know if you guys are PK-haters or not. But personally, I love the game. Almost as much as D3.

Whats painkillers? For fps i am fairly exclusively Doome, heretic hexen, Unreal, and rainbow six ( if you can really call that fps ). I was interested in duke nukem forever but I never saw it in the stores and was pretty ticked at the bs red tape the game engine switch over from the quake engine to unreal created. Hmm was that the reason I never saw the game? I now ID was kind of unprofessional about it. ( not looking to be flamed This is just what I remember )

Amaster said:

Odd, I never saw enemies attack each other in painkiller.

Run around more. Get them in each other's crossfire. Once you get 20 fighting each other, it really is a sight to see. In the military base you can actually have ground troops fighting the dudes in the tanks (even though the only way to kill tank guys is a grenade through the hatch)

incubusspawn said:

I was interested in duke nukem forever but I never saw it in the stores and was pretty ticked at the bs red tape the game engine switch over from the quake engine to unreal created. Hmm was that the reason I never saw the game? I now ID was kind of unprofessional about it. ( not looking to be flamed This is just what I remember )

Are you trying to say that id software had something to do with duke nukem forever?

I think it was just the fact that Unreal did mroe things than quake 2, not that id did anything wrong

Sometimes you see monsters fight each other and its extremeley cool, but most of the time its impossible, the monsters are almost all triggered, so they dont chase you. and most of the environments are too cramped for the manuvering you could do in other games

Wobbo said:

Sometimes you see monsters fight each other and its extremeley cool, but most of the time its impossible, the monsters are almost all triggered, so they dont chase you. and most of the environments are too cramped for the manuvering you could do in other games

QUIET YE SINNER,you know not what shadow you lie under, do not invoke the fanboy jihad, it will be the end of us all!!!!!!

It happens occassionally but its very very rare that you can actually spend time observing it. The one time I was able to was very cool though.

Daicha said:

God, Painkiller is awesome for that! Seeing 20 dudes of 3 types go at it and tear each other to pieces is great. I don't know if you guys are PK-haters or not. But personally, I love the game. Almost as much as D3.

I totally agree. I was playing PK about a couple weeks before D3 came out, rushing to beat it because i didnt want to have to shelve a GG when DooM3 came out. Now i just have something to fill the void once i do finish DooM3. By the time i finish PK, i'll be ready for another round with D3.

lol, theres a system to my madness ;)

P.S. How did you get that secret item on the backside of the bridge tower? Or did you?

Wobbo said:

I think it was just the fact that Unreal did mroe things than quake 2, not that id did anything wrong

I know that one believe my I am a harcore Unreal Fan ( but lately the communtiy has been pissing me off it has been all children since atari became the publisher and some of the additions to ut2003 an 4 reflect it )
I was refering to whatever it was about with liscenses etc...

DMFDxUconn said:

P.S. How did you get that secret item on the backside of the bridge tower? Or did you?

I haven't really been going for secrets yet, sorry. But I did beat the game. I don't want to brush you off, but check out gamefaqs.com
Enjoy the PK, D3, and soon to be Q4 gaming goodness!!

incubusspawn said:

I know that one believe my I am a harcore Unreal Fan ( but lately the communtiy has been pissing me off it has been all children since atari became the publisher and some of the additions to ut2003 an 4 reflect it )
I was refering to whatever it was about with liscenses etc...

Agree. I hate, hate, hate vehicles in fps games! If Raven puts vehicles in Q4, I'm gonna shoot somebody!

incubusspawn said:

I was interested in duke nukem forever but I never saw it in the stores and was pretty ticked at the bs red tape the game engine switch over from the quake engine to unreal created. Hmm was that the reason I never saw the game? I now ID was kind of unprofessional about it. ( not looking to be flamed This is just what I remember )

3DRealms (makers of Duke Nukem) have had some problems. They originally licensed the Quake 2 engine to build DNF, but couldn't complete the project (due to various reasons we won't go into). When this happens and a development company slips a cycle they have to start worrying about whether or not the technology they've invested in is worth the risk of continuing the project while other engines are being produced with popular games. They didn't, and decided to try and license the Unreal engine - basically wasting whatever money they spent with Id and putting themselves in a difficult position supporting two different license agreements - one of which they couldn't use the technology but they were paying for it - AND probably torpedoing the developers at the same time.

Remember there are a lot of games out there built on the Quake 2 engine. Id was extremely successful with it. If 3DRealms couldn't get their game built that's not Ids fault.

...and they still couldn't finish it once they got the Unreal license. When I found out 3D Realms produced Max Payne (meaning they used their capital to provide Rock Star Games the the means to build it) I started to realize 3DRealms may be getting out of the game building business and getting into the game producing business instead...however I have yet to see 3DRealms' name on any other games as a producer - including Max Payne 2.

I remember something about ID revokeing the quake liscence. It was a while back But I definantly remember reding something along these lines. PS I am not saying ID is responsible, just wondering if the 'red tape' of it all lead to the game ultimately not being produced.

And painkiller doesnt need a killer machine to run at a modest 30 fps ...

I personally find Painkiller better than Doom3, again it's just my taste in matter of fun/gameplay.