Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

Official Doom 3 easter egg thread

Merged with other on and stickied. Sorry for not stickying it earlier, but please people, check other threads before making a new one. There's a lot of this happening in here, and it makes our jobs that much more difficult.

did anyone find the secret room right before the end? it has a PDA with e-mails from all the ID guys.

also, before you leave the caverns, in the room with the big tablets, if you watch the video, it shows pics of them all up close, and tablet 4 is engraved with a pic from the cover of doom 1.

Linguica said:

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that's because the emails in the game that didn't get sent have fake headers which reference mail.ua-corp.com?

Yeah, I even made a post about in a thread but it was delted which pissed me off. I said how I emailed rbrody@ua-corp.com and chaskell@ua-corp.com but it didn't work, I was sent back the mail by the server.

I've been using the bright yellow pentagram that you see in the game for my wallpaper for awhile now, and I just barely noticed that it has the UAC logo on it along with what looks like the doom guys face.

This is the texture Im talking about:
textures/hell/pentastic1.tga

It's in the pak004.pk4 file or the base file if you've uncompressed them.

I've already passed it so can't take a screenshot, but in delta 2 where the patients are being kept in cells, one of them is named Christian Antkow, it says so on the terminal outside the cell. So if someone passes it, maybe take a screen.

PS I'm pretty sure that's the name, if not, it's someone else from id.

At some point, where you find a bunch of zombies in prison, one of the zombies (the big fat one) is hitting his head on the glass door. If you listen to him for a little while he'll make a more comical sound. :)

Also, right at the end of the delta labs there's a red info term with some "Valuable sacrificial pointers" on opening sacrificial portals (you can download an... interesting email from it too :). I have a pic of this as my wallpaper. :D

Heh, that's a bit of a stretch. There's definitely some resemblance, but I don't think it was intentional. But a possibility none the less.

The id guys did say 'fans of the original games would recognise certain pieces of architecture'. And that's the only part that I can compare to doom architecture. And it's not so much of a stretch... The path has the same zigzag pattern, it's one of the two places in the game with a substantial amount of green slime, the hexagonal tile floor texture on the path is the same, and there's an imp in the same place (on the left, on a raised platform, good enough for me). Sure the place has been detailed more, but I think its supposed to be a nod to the area in E1M1.

I found a room with Christian Antkows(id software employee) name on the computer screen readout as who it belonged too as well as "relocated" under his name.

Captain_obvious said:

I found a room with Christian Antkows(id software employee) name on the computer screen readout as who it belonged too as well as "relocated" under his name.

gatewatcher said:

I've already passed it so can't take a screenshot, but in delta 2 where the patients are being kept in cells, one of them is named Christian Antkow, it says so on the terminal outside the cell. So if someone passes it, maybe take a screen.

I'm not sure of whether this is common knowledge, but it is definitely a "jumbo" easter egg:

On your way back to administration, go to the first bathroom the black guy came out and look in the toilet on the right. The stall, that is.

There's a "jumbo" easter egg for you.

I did notice a piece of architecture that seemed to be based on the second map's spawnpoint area of Doom 2. I took a screenshot of it, but I don't have Photoshop or something else right now so I can't see which particular screenshot it is. When I have Photoshop I'll have a look.

Well sometimes in the game, you can see glowing eyes and then they disappear. I saw them in alpha lab 4 I think at the start. Plus I was in a hall where in front of my was an open, bloody elevator that didn't work, and then the hall went both left and right with dead ends. There was a corpses in the elevator and on the panel if you watched it, the panel had fire on it and faces faded in and out on the panel. Neat.

Laguna said:

I'm not sure of whether this is common knowledge, but it is definitely a "jumbo" easter egg:

On your way back to administration, go to the first bathroom the black guy came out and look in the toilet on the right. The stall, that is.

There's a "jumbo" easter egg for you.

Are you talking about the turd? Cause that's all I found.

sandmanfvr said:

Well sometimes in the game, you can see glowing eyes and then they disappear. I saw them in alpha lab 4 I think at the start.

You mean these eyes?

Would've been MUCH cooler if it was the "Super Turbo Dopefish Puncher 3" machine! 2 easter eggs in 1.

Also, a reference to "smashing pumpkins into small pieces of putrid debris". (And not just the idspispopd console thing) Any Doom vets remember that one?

Can't see the video, divx? It was when I just started and the sarge was yelling in my ear. To the right/front a small area and boxes where eyes where, then they disappeared. To the left, health box on the wall and a hallway they goes right.

EDIT: They have been found to just be eyes that go away.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=8326&tid=1444918&p=3

Sorry to post a link to another Doom site, but they found it and it was what I has talking about about. They eyes glow and then the lights flicker and they are gone. Scary the first time your play it.

not sure if this was mentioned but, super turbo turkey puncher is supposed to be a joke on Capcom's "Street Fighter" series.

Now that it's been mentioned, I am somewhat dissapointed at the lack of Dopefish so far, unless he's just hidden well. Commander Keen appeared in Doom 2, and the Dopefish has appeared in every Quake game.

I've only come across one so far, as a result of me getting pissed off with a scientist getting in my way, I quicksaved, then mowed him down with the chaingun. Reading the emails in his PDA, there was a Nigerian Scam Email sitting in there.

Revenant100 said:

They sound when you pick up a keycard is from the original Doom, but isn't the medkit sound from Quake 2 or 3?

Quake 2 :)

Anyone notice the joke email in one of the PDA's from "Brent Davis" to Finchy? If you've seen the british comedy "The Office" then you'll laugh your butt off and recognize the quote as told by David Brent in The Office series:

"Quiz Night

Finchy,
Don't forget that Trivia Quiz Night is this Wednesday. Do yourself a favor and brush up on the Shakespeare, mate. If we lose to these twits in administration again, we'll never hear the end of it.

Brent"

LOL!

(I'll post a screenshot as soon as my camera phone doesn't suck:) )