Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The Issue of Ping

What kind of ping are you typically used to playing with? On ranked ZDaemon servers, my ping typically averages 1/3 of a second (333 ping), with absolute best case scenario being a 250 ping. Most players I talk to find this almost thinkable. Yet, I've managed to hold a .998 kill ratio, with 5658 frags and 5669 deaths. I think that ZDaemon rankings ought to factor average ping while a frag or death is recorded.

On the doom2.net servers, I sit in the 40-60 range. It's quite good.

I don't know if the ping affecting rank is a great idea yet or not. I would hate to suffer through some bad ping games for the sake of rank.

Back in my 56k days on zdaemon I was getting typically 400-700, with the occasional jump to things like 3896 or 10052 when things got really busy or something.

On cable it's been in the range 60-110, usually staying in the 90s.

I completely agree with you that rankings should take ping into account. The game can be unplayable over dial-up at times, and as cable player you can just waltz right up to an immobile marine and pick him or her off. The problem is that any sort of system like that could never be entirely fair but yeah something nees to be taken into account.

Yeah, I remember being completely unable to compete when on dial-up. But as Pritch said, any system created to give ranking considerations to those with bad connections would likely be unfair.

On a personal note, I usually avoid shooting someone who's having obvious connection problems during an FFA.

VinceDSS said:

It should also take into account the rank of the guys you play and also how often you play.

It's true. You could constantly hunt down servers with bad players.

But in the end I suppose, there is a note on the zdaemon site that ranking doesn't necessarily correlate to skill anyway.

haha, what I meant by "taking the opponents ranking into account" is that if you play bad players, you don't get much points... and if u beat good players, you get more points ... but it's not the case.
And yes zDaemon ranking has no meaning besides showing the amount of free time you have. The more you play the more you score points, whatever your skill is.

VinceDSS said:

It should also take into account the rank of the guys you play and also how often you play.

Totally. Like, I lost 15-50 to Vampiric this morning. I played ok but got -24 exp for my troubles. The other day I got 18 frags in a row against an inexperienced guy and get like 100 exp or whatever, without really trying. Or say getting a BFG monsterkill with just a little effort etc.

Back in my 56k days, I didn't even bother. Now, though, I'm sitting on an average of 40-80ms. Great for wreaking havoc on CTF. I actually impressed myself last night :)