Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Help, I'm Blind!

For those of you unhappy with some of id's design decisions you can check out the flare mod which changes hand grenades to flares (allowing you to see better in Doom 3's dark environment). You may also want to try out the duct tape mod which allows you to use your flashlight at the same time as some of the basic weapons. Thanks Blue's News.

Nobody claims it: FP!!!
As long as nobody builds something like birght.wad which was for normal doom... ;)
But Flashlight on a weapon is a nice invention...

Well, I think that both of these functions should have been included in the game originally. What the hell kind of military base doesn't have FLARES?

Of course, they'd wreck the game design, blah blah...

Poor game design if you ask me.

I dunno, I finished the game last night and I guess I'm just unfulfilled. I did enjoy the game (Doom 3, in case you're a moron), but the entire time I was playing I kept thinking "is this it?" and many times I thought "well, maybe I can do this...oh, no, I can't". The total lack of any movement beyond ... movement (i.e. mantling, hanging, crawling, or perhaps even dodging) left a sour taste in my mouth and while I applaud the use of stamina in games, in this game it seemed like an afterthought - totally out-of-place and unnecessary.

To be fair, I played Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay concurrently, and honestly, CoR is just a generally superior game in my opinion. Doom 3 is more polished, to be sure, but CoR has all the gameplay that D3 has, and more.

Too many movement options = bad. While I did occasionally wistfully long for a lean key (while taking on chaingunners) I never felt it to be much of a necessity.

In practice, though, the stamina bar lasts too long for any serious stretch of running in this game so far.

Those additional movement options don't have to be implemented in such a way that they are inconvenient to set up controls for, or in ways that would make them difficult to remember how to use.

In Thief, mantling was accomplished by holding the jump button. Hanging could be used by modifying mantling to require the usage of the move-forward control to climb up, so holding jump could hang rather than mantle, and for the player to move up would require little thought, as it could be assumed that what you're hanging onto is in front of you and it would logically follow that moving forward should complete the climb. Crawling could be accomplished by "going prone" -- let's say by double tapping the crouch button, where holding it would simply keep the player crouched (or the control could be set to hold or toggle at the player's preference). Dodging, IIRC, was done very simply in Unreal by having the player double tap the sidestep keys. Leaning, like you mentioned, is pretty easy too. We can refer to System Shock 2 (can't remember if they put leaning in Thief, though being the same engine and all I suppose it's probably there), in which I have Q and E bound to lean left and right while I use the usual WASD setup otherwise.

That doesn't sound too complicated to me. I don't think games really should cater to those who aren't coordinated enough for that much. That would remove one of the acknowledged benefits of FPS gaming -- improvement of reflexes.

Mantling is jumping up to grab a ledge with your hand and pulling yourself up. If you've played Thief you've probably done it, and you may have done it in other games too.

Ultraviolet said:

Mantling is jumping up to grab a ledge with your hand and pulling yourself up. If you've played Thief you've probably done it, and you may have done it in other games too.

Prince of Persia. The original.

Uh, what? Maybe I'm not familiar with the original or something, but I remember mantling on some platformers back on the SNES, and that far predates the PoP that I'm familiar with.

Eeenterestink.

Anyway, if they could make it work with one action button, I'm sure it couldn't be too hard to keep it from being too complicated in an FPS.

Cyb said:

You may also want to try out the duct tape mod which allows you to use your flashlight at the same time as some of the basic weapons.

Oh dear god, you just have to love all of those whining bastards who don't realize that you could BAESH STUFF WITH THE FLASHLIGHT.

deathz0r said:

Oh dear god, you just have to love all of those whining bastards who don't realize that you could BAESH STUFF WITH THE FLASHLIGHT.

^
And how many Hitpoints does the Flashlight do?
I doubt that you can knock out an imp or a revenant.

A little off topic:
The new revenant is much harder to defeat than the old one.
The old revenant takes 6 to 7 hits from the normal shootgun and the new one takes 10 to 12.
The new revenant attacks faster, which makes it harder to evade that dude.
The only monster more nerving than him that i met so far (i am in the monorail station) is the new lost soul. No chance of evading >.<
This game realy lets you feel that you are just a phunny little marine with phunny weapons versus hell and not the big hero from the old games.
In Doom 3 sometimes its better to run from a monster than trying to kill it and get slaughtered cause a new monster spawns behind you.
I just want to see the first 100% run trough doom 3. Whoever gets this to work must be playing this game day in day out .

Out for now, placing my computer in the garden, tasting the last summerday in germany ^.^

I'm pretty sure my last run through Doom 3 was very nearly 100%, if not actually 100%.

The new revenant can be dropped in two shotgun blasts on marine, and as few as four on veteran. Maybe 3.

Game-mechanically-speaking, the new shotgun is actually somewhere between the SSG and SG from oldDoom in power. Closer to the SSG, though.

And yes, the new lost souls are annoying as piss.