Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odex

How to start the Doom 3 Editor

kabe said:

well, 9/10 means 90/100 and 900/1000
so thats a lot of people who could use it and not have it mess things up.

That's true, unfortunately they don't come here and start a thread named "look here - I don't have problems and I don't need help"

;)

Wait, how do you use the editor to change the texture of individual faces instead of a whole brush?

And, when I switch from camera to render by checking off 'render' I only see blackness instead of real-time lighting. The level works fine in-game, though, but I want my real-time lighting! :p

The help I've gotten so far though is appreciated. :)

the inspector box , the one that has all the little tabs at the bottem,
go to " media" then pick a image, whatever u make or select will be that texture.
or pick something from media, and go to the texture tab, and ull see all the texture there, and can salect it, every texture u use in the map will be in this window when you load the map.

And howcome the light Inspector ( 'j' ) doesn't work for me anymore? It used to work; I'd have a light selected and then I'd press j and be able to change the light radius, but now j suddenly doesn't work anymore?

BNA! said:

In the meantime we've also created a set of video tutorials - have fun:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3397

nice vids man, every one ive seen is a little difrent.
you talk about compiling, but didnt mention the bsp button witch does it in 1 click, and u talk about leaks but not how to find them n pointfile.. dont know if u are haveing that later on, but those are a lot faster ways to compile and find leaks reather then looking for em.

for your next tut. i suggest doors, and ramp / steps
trying to mimick other tuts. to make a door didnt work for me and i dont get why, all i did was pick a difrent door and a difrent map lay out. oh, and what about caulk? i heard thats a good way to not render texture on all sides.
thanks again.

CodenniumRed said:

And howcome the light Inspector ( 'j' ) doesn't work for me anymore? It used to work; I'd have a light selected and then I'd press j and be able to change the light radius, but now j suddenly doesn't work anymore?

Yeah, this is a common bug, sometimes it works again after you restart your editor. Otherwise, type "editlights" in Console, editor console.

CodenniumRed said:

Wait, how do you use the editor to change the texture of individual faces instead of a whole brush?

That would be Ctrl-Shift-Leftclick on the face you want changed in the camera view.

this may sound really silly, and its not so doom3-editing-related. I'm completely new with q3radiant, and I was wondering how to make a box-shaped hollow room. I'm following the directions on the manual, but still there's something I don't quite understand. It says that in order to raise the height of the room, you just have to move the box around in the Z window, which I assume it's at upper right, though I'm not sure if I have done so already because I don't see any changes in the editor. Another problem is that I can't locate the "M" like it tells me to under "To make a hollow room".

Hi - when in windowed mode, doesn't r_mode x set the size of the doom window, rather than the display resolution? So, you are suggesting that the doom window should be 'maximised' in effect. It would be ok to choose a lower value if you were fine having it in a smaller window?

I have a problem too, I put in the recommended shortcut extension, I have AA off, but AF at 16x, and I keep getting the wql errors.

999cop said:

this may sound really silly, and its not so doom3-editing-related. I'm completely new with q3radiant, and I was wondering how to make a box-shaped hollow room.

Uh..I am kinda late here :p

In your grid window, left click (hold) and drag. You should see a box. Adjust the size, height etc. Now look up on the tool bar and look for the icon of a box (just put the cursor over the icon and see what description comes up. You should see "make hollow" or something like that..).

FlexGalaxy said:

guys i have a prob, i got my editor to boot up, but i think the gamma is too high for me to do anything. someone help plz?

Its in the menus above the toolbar, file, edit, view etc. I can't think the section at the top of my head, but look around in those menus, there's an gamma option.

Jon said:

Hi - when in windowed mode, doesn't r_mode x set the size of the doom window, rather than the display resolution? So, you are suggesting that the doom window should be 'maximised' in effect. It would be ok to choose a lower value if you were fine having it in a smaller window?

r_mode in fullscreen 1 sets the resolution, if the fullscreen option is 0, then r_mode sets the window size. Running the editor in fullscreen mode (fullscreen 1) isn't an good idea but the editor doesn't seem to have effect by r_mode, only the game itself.

Alientank said:

I have a problem too, I put in the recommended shortcut extension, I have AA off, but AF at 16x, and I keep getting the wql errors.

Its best to turn everything off, AA, AF, everything. DoomEdit doesn't seem to like these features turned on. If that doesn't help, then try turning off those features in your desktop settings (your video card properties).

Also its best to make a copy of your doom 3 cfg file and use the copied cfg file for DoomEdit. That way, you'll won't have to turn on those options again when playing Doom3 and not editing.. To use it just add the following line after doom3.exe

+exec "yournewcfgfile" (don't add the commas of course)