Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lazer

Remake episode 1 for Doom 3...

Holy shit did I NOT just say I'm using the hires textures? Those ARE the hires textures.

Lazer said:

Holy shit did I NOT just say I'm using the hires textures? Those ARE the hires textures.

Holy shit calm down buddy. He quoted laguna and was referring to what Laguna said. It's clear now that you're using the hires textures.

Jomero said:

Hmmm. I know some purists will hate this idea, but why not make the tower of Babel an ACTUAL tower? I was always disappointed with that even back in 1993. I say extend the middle structure to be huuuuge. :-)

Awesome idea! I hope that gets in.

Nice screenshots, Lazer. The floor surrounding the tower looks a bit flat, though. Perhaps you could add some low hills and/or rocks?

Jomero said:

Hmmm. I know some purists will hate this idea, but why not make the tower of Babel an ACTUAL tower?

I was thinking along the same lines (but in a more general sense)-- I know there'll be a whole lot of levels which try to reproduce old levels as accurately as possible, but I think it's more interesting to use the old structure as a base and see what you can do to spice it up.

Arno said:

Awesome idea! I hope that gets in.

Nice screenshots, Lazer. The floor surrounding the tower looks a bit flat, though. Perhaps you could add some low hills and/or rocks?

Oh I had always imagined that the level was the top of the tower.

Nice work Lazer. Nearly looks exactly like the original. Pretty impressive...Can't wait to see how you develop it further. My Main gripe so far is it looks far to simple for a Doom 3 map...but it's early stages anyway. Keep up the good work :D

LorD BaZTArD said:

Nearly looks exactly like the original.

I'd like to see it expanded and enhanced with actual Doom 3 engine features, myself.

Well, yeah same here. I think it's far too close to the original as it is. If he starts adding some detail to the the level that Doom 3 can handle, then it could be a good map. As it stands you could release this as a basic map for other people to expand on maybe, but it's not a Doom 3 map IMO.

I'm making a few old maps and I think I'll add stuff like windows (where the gaps are to the outside), maybe a few rocks outside but I'll keep it very close to the original! Nice map though,
Lazer...keep em comin'!

i would love to see a remake of E1M7 but done useing doom III style mapping, but brighter. i always loved that map

Rick-sama said:

A little something I'm working on... E1M8

That floor! Where did you find it? I've been looking for it all over the d3 texture directory, do you have the name of it? I really need it, thanks!

Oh, so I have to download the texture pack, put it into photoshop make a specular map with the nVidia normal map plugin in and whack it into Radiant?

Damn that sucks, I'm gonna have to download that 200mb Doom 2 textures pack on my 56k, :(

I used XWE the Wad Editor to view the textures in my Doom.wad, then I print screened and cropped them in Photoshop.

Hey Lazer, is it possible to put Infinite Stamina in the Tower of babel? I mean, it IS going to Hell, you know. :P

I find it pretty pointless to just use the original textures (even remade textures). Why not either use custom graphics or remake the levels using original textures. A total conversion of the maps to Doom 3 with textures and all seems kind of pointless. Might as well just write a program to convert the WAD to MAP format and export the graphics. I'd rather play re-interpreted versions which feel like Doom 3.

That said, what is there does look very good.

-edit- That E1M1 link is exactly what I'm talking about. Absolutely beautiful.

that e1m1 was excactly what i wanted to see, hopefully peopel will start converting the later levels and it will get REALLY interesting

Wobbo said:

that e1m1 was excactly what i wanted to see,

It does look damn good, but I wished people would take a look at the outdated design and take certain creative liberties wherever it doesn't detract from gameplay.

I mean, look at the slime room. Do you think the original creators were TRYING to visualize a zigzag platform thingy? I figured it was supposed to look like a room that had been demolished, partially flooded by waste, and evacuated.

Hell, I don't know. Maybe the original creator did in fact want to have a Mars base with a room solely dedicated to radioactive slime and a crooked pathway. Maybe it's just supposed to be a really dirty Olympic-sized pool.

Numbermind said:

I mean, look at the slime room. Do you think the original creators were TRYING to visualize a zigzag platform thingy? I figured it was supposed to look like a room that had been demolished, partially flooded by waste, and evacuated.

That zigzag bridge over the slime pool IMO is just artistic freedom. The mapper build it because he thaught it looked good and because he wasn´t restricted to realism. You can find many places like that throughout the Doom 1 + 2 levels, and often those irrational architecture pieces gave the level it´s special character. To reinterpret the zigzag bridge as a broken floor can make it boring.