Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Doom Wikipedia Article

(cur) (last) 19:36, 1 Aug 2004 Fredrik m (Impact and controversy - fix a link)
(cur) (last) 01:59, 23 Jun 2004 Sarge Baldy (dab lee killough)

hey, I noticed a discribtion of the BFG there a while back... Seemed pretty pointless to me. Who would ever need to look up that word? pointless but cool none the less :-)

I don't see the relevance/importance of even mentioning Columbine in the description of DOOM. Other than that, it seems very well done.

DEMOn said:

I don't see the relevance/importance of even mentioning Columbine in the description of DOOM. Other than that, it seems very well done.

The Columbine link is important because it was covered heavily in mainstream media. A lot of people have heard about Doom only in that particular context.

mewse said:

great writeup fredrik

Thanks. Though, it would be unfair to call it my writeup; I've written most of, but far from all of it, and improvements have been made everywhere by lots of people. SargeBaldy also wrote a couple of paragraphs and helped with working out the structure for it. Of course, if anyone wants the exact details, it's all in the article history.

I did a lot of the work on [[DOOM Community]] and a few things in [[DOOM]].. I think I started the controversy part and I took the DOOM II shot that's on there. But yes, I agree they're very quite nice articles, especially when you compare them to the articles for some other games.. half of [[Quake]] is devoted to jumping techniques.

Fredrik said:

The Columbine link is important because it was covered heavily in mainstream media. A lot of people have heard about Doom only in that particular context.

I hear you, but DOOM should be referenced in the Columbine write-up, not the other way around.
You wouldn't want Vrack-style mapmaking tainted with annotations of 'mockery' maps that intentionally tarnish the quality associated with the real thing. I don't care how many copies of 'Eat it' sold, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in Michael Jackson's life story.
DOOM effected 100 million people; Columbine didn't really have anything to do with more than say 10,000 people. I doesn't deserve that recognition.
I understand why it is there, I just don't agree with it.

Good article.

He made a section about the game's controversy... Columbine is inevitable there, and it's not the only thing mentioned in the section. I think that's fine if you want to give a relatively complete view of the game; I would have done the same.