Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakpandora

Question about editing(is it easy?)

ok I am interested in getting doom 3, but for the sole purpose of modding. what exactly comes with it? I know a level editor does, but what else? are the tools hard to use, and do they come with tutorials? thanks!

jakpandora said:

ok I am interested in getting doom 3, but for the sole purpose of modding. what exactly comes with it? I know a level editor does, but what else? are the tools hard to use, and do they come with tutorials? thanks!

The editor is not TOO hard to use, but I would recommend starting by editing for the original DOOM games, which is definetely much much simpler, but teaches you the basics of what a good level should contain and such. I know this probably sounds like a "piece of cake" if you havent actually tried it before, but it is harder than what it sounds.

Even if you havent made original DOOM levels before, there is a chance you could learn, its all in the tutorials!

The level editor is all that is included, but it is a pretty powerful one and was used to make all of the levels in the game.

Try the doom3world.org forums for tutorials and stuff. (The doom 3 level editing section)

GoOD LUCK!

Editing for classic doom is very little like editing for a true 3d game, so only some of that knowledge may come in to play, if any.

Actually i tried off and on for a week to make a Doom2 level in doom builder and i could never get any results i wanted, like closed sectors lol... but for my foray in 3d construction i found Doom3 to be quite simple to learn some of the basics, yeah its pretty much the same editor as Quake 2 and 3 or WolfET and CoD im sure, but short of seeing the interface i've had no experience.

So i watched 3 of these wonderful Doom 3 Video Tutorials and after about 3 days of horsing around made my room, haha its very crude but im just getting my feet wet, and if i can do it anyone can.

good luck :)

base folder and type map hackneyed

Rather than "Starting off in Doom" and moving up to Doom 3, start off in a simple true 3D game, such as Quake, except thats probably not MUCH easier than jumping straight into doom 3 (but then all true 3D editors just look confusing to me anyway, so maybe it is easier)

I personally would recommend starting in Doom3.. there's no reason to learn an entire interface for a 2d level editing application that has no real bearing on the Doom3 editing interface. Sure you'll learn fundamentals such as good level design techniques, and structural realism/and or gameplay.. but you will learn the same things over time in Doom3 anyway..

The bottomline is that if you've never made maps for a game before, you're gonna suck for the first few months; everyone does.