Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Not mixing sounds

Okay the title isn't very informative but I didn't know what else to say.

Nowadays, you can use a SNDINFO lump to keep people from saying each other's lines. Like, if Mario was the zombieman, you could make his wake up sound "it's-a me, Mario" and name it DSMARSIT and make it so in the SNDINFO lump all his sight sounds would be that.

There was a Nintendo wad back in the day that came with a bat file that must have had some DeHackEd work embedded in there. Mario, Toad, and Peach never said each other's line in the bat. If you played the wad without the bat, the sounds would be all mixed up and like Bowser's pain sound would be the dsposact noise and stuff. How did you prevent characters from saying each other's lines before there was Zdoom? Like, if you wanted the zombieman to only have 1 wake up sound but all the other zombies to have all three of theirs', how would you do it?

I think that if, using DeHackEd, you choose the first sound among the ones used by the monster, it will use the two or three available. If you choose the second one, it'll use the second or third only, and so on.

Bashe said:

Hmmm...I wonder if there's a way to get DeHackEd info out of bat files.

Umm...What? I think that Nintendo Doom thing had it's own EXE, didn't it?

It had a bat file to run with vanilla Doom. There was an exe, but you weren't supposed to use it.