Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

The end of E1M8 - theories

as it goes in the books the doomguy ( if anyone wonders he is Corporal flynn taggart but is called fly, united states marine corps; serial number 888-23-9912) looks through a blood smared crack (in which his buddy arlene sanders went through) and sees outside (dont ask how hes seing outside) sees crossbones and an arrow he cant get through the crack so he unslings the rocket launcher goes down an elevator and sees 2 hell princes he ran to the other side of the room and fired 6 rockets at one it died then he ran up to the other and dropped a rocket down it's throat and ran when the rocket blew it knocked him out and when he woke up the walls of the chamber were crumbled and he was outside and saw a warpgate (in the game u dont see it) he steps through and he was on fire but he wasnt hurt by it. the fire burned away his clothes and his weapons. he went around and found a gun laying under the body of a person from fox company (the guns called a sig-cow i dont know if its in the game) and thats what happens between the levels.... to sum it up the black room is really just the warpgate. if anyones wondering i read the book cause we had to do an book report on a fictoinal book, i dont think my teacher liked it thought (she was in her 60s) i got a good grade though

andy said:

he was outside and saw a warpgate (in the game u dont see it)

The gate is represented in the game by a floor plate teleporter with a demon/pentagram texture. Once you step on it you're transported to the black room.

andy said:

as it goes in the books the doomguy ( if anyone wonders he is Corporal flynn taggart but is called fly, united states marine corps; serial number 888-23-9912)

Eww. Most people round here don't like the books, and the id guys haven't expressed a great deal of fondness for them either.

In any case, the game predates the books, and nothing in the books has any bearing on how the game should be interpreted. The Doomguy has no name.

andy said:

blah blah blah

Dude, the books are total fan fiction.

By the way, the doomguy doesn't have a name, as he is supposed to be "you."

I must say, I really do agree with this...

The doom novels are fanfictions, just like how community projects that re-tell the doom story from another point of view are. To be honest, I have never read the novels, but I have read a lot of fanfictions one the less (the ones created by dsm are very good, I sometimes find myself re-reading his 2 fanfictions on planetdoom.com (read them, they are very good).

I would have to agree that the story should be shallow, and that we are looking too deeply into this. We have already created sub-categories off of this subject, even a couple of test wads proving some engine capabilities/story possibilities. The lack of a focused story is what makes doom. Imagination is better than any book, story, film, game, whatever. Why else do you think so many people make fan fiction? Hell, doom just douldn't be doom if it didn't lack a focused story.

DooM pwns all!

So far my working theory for this whole mess is that "you don't die because you aren’t dead." It’s just a ploy made by ID to wrap up all lose ends in the shareware and it worked magnificently. My uncle bought doom 1 exclusively because he didn’t like the sharewares ending.

Nope like the doom guy this thread will never die! NEVER!

there was a thread on this before but THIS was never brought up, is there are ment to be two teleporters on each moon, how come theres no big teleporter on e2m1 like on e1m8?

Maybe it was outside like the one on Phobos, and you just started inside the base instead of the teleporter itself.

Notice that most of the Doom maps start in completely different places from the last level. For example, after pressing the exit switch in e1m1, you somehow end up in some other place in e1m2 instead of starting inside the room in which you exited.

This is evedence of a possibility that the maps were not made in the order in which they appear. They must've been made in a totally different order, but then, for some unknown reason, the folks at id decided to jumble and mix them up.
This might also be evidence of the fact that the designer (Sandy Peterson or whoever else) got very tired at a certain point along the project, and decided to wrap things up by doing a rush job....He knew that he'll get paid anyways, so what did he have to lose?

cannibalpostman said:

the question of the bases being in hell....hasnt anyone else here seen the cutscene of demios base floating above hell?

Yes, I've seen that pic thousands of times, even while working with WinTex.
And I've also read "the story so far" inside the readme.txt. It said something like this: "Shortly thereafter, Deimos could be seen mysteriously disappearing from the sky..."
So there ya have it, Deimos was sucked up into the universe of Hell by some strong supernatural force. Period.

Many times, the exit rooms look a bit like elevators. Exiting by hitting a switch and then starting the next level right beside a door probably means you rode the elevator up and start the next level by standing right outside it. It works.

DarkJedi188 said:

This is evedence of a possibility that the maps were not made in the order in which they appear. They must've been made in a totally different order, but then, for some unknown reason, the folks at id decided to jumble and mix them up.
This might also be evidence of the fact that the designer (Sandy Peterson or whoever else) got very tired at a certain point along the project, and decided to wrap things up by doing a rush job....He knew that he'll get paid anyways, so what did he have to lose?

They indeed were not made in the order that they appear. For example, E2M2 used to be E1M1, E2M3 used to be E1M8, E1M4 used to be E1M9, etc.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the alpha version of E1M1?

*SPOILER AHEAD*

*LOTS OF BLANK LINES DELETED*

If you read the original Doom story, you know that when people went through the teleporters, they came out crazy and messed up, like in Doom3. In Doom3 they also tell you how the people went into hell for a small amount of time before coming out the other side. I think that you are going through hell into Deimos.

*LOTS OF BLANK LINES DELETED*

Ultraviolet said:

Many times, the exit rooms look a bit like elevators. Exiting by hitting a switch and then starting the next level right beside a door probably means you rode the elevator up and start the next level by standing right outside it. It works.

Yeah, I noticed this many times all throughout E1, and half-way throught E2. Those are all probably intended to be elevator shafts within a gigantic UAC infrastructure...
But it's too unfortunate that the guys at id could not make any proper elevator cutscenes back then :p
Luckily, in the year 2004, we have DOOM3 to fix this little problem.. And then we also have the ZDOOM port for classic DOOM, which could probably allow such atmospheric cutscenes to be created. I'm not heavy into ZDOOM so I don't know all the specs for sure :p

Darkhaven said:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the alpha version of E1M1?

0.4 E1M1 turned into E2M8.

0.5 E1M1 was a test map and was scrapped.

Pffft...Oh well...Whatever map Darkhaven is going to use as E1M1 for our DOOM:Odyssey of Oblivion project will surely be better than the E1M1 of the alpha. I'm convinced of it.

Though, I was wondering, that elevator theory makes a lot of sense. but, How would it travel so far to the next level? Like on the intermission screens, the levels are so far away and have no sign of an elevator track. Any ideas? :D

Not with Mars' two moons being the size of fairly small cities.

Why would hitting a switch cause the player to go to a different level, anyway? I can see how walking into those white teleporters would take him somewhere, but a switch?

The switch is just there to end the level (maybe by 'shutting down the power' or even self-destructing that building), of course, then you get to the other installations somehow (hiking, going into an underground tunnel, a train, driving), then enter through the little silver doors and start off in the map

What I always just imagined was that when you hit a switch, that it opened a secret door in that room, that lead to the outside, then you ran to the next building. :D

Doomguy gets carried from map to map by martian spacemonkeys.