Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

Hexen

I remember playing Hexen back on the PSX, im assuming theres a PC version somewhere, before i go look on commercial sites, does anyone know if its even worth playing on the PC? Its a pretty old game isnt it?

hexen both uses the doom engine and is one of the greatest games ever concieved.

Liam said:

hexen both uses the doom engine and is one of the greatest games ever concieved.

DMFDxUconn said:

I remember playing Hexen back on the PSX, im assuming theres a PC version somewhere, before i go look on commercial sites, does anyone know if its even worth playing on the PC? Its a pretty old game isnt it?

hell, yes, get that shit and load it up in zdoom

HeXen is awesome. :D Though I haven't played in forever because the save spots I had aren't valid with this version of Zdoom so I lost them. :D

DMFDxUconn said:

does anyone know if its even worth playing on the PC? Its a pretty old game isnt it?

So's DooM, but we're all still playing it...

Seriously though, you need to play it. In fact, if you play it with this it's even better.

btw, when looking for it, see if you can find the 'Towers of Darkness' compilation - as that has a mission pack called Deathkings of the Dark Citadel in it as well as the main game.

Hexen's a sweet game, it doesn't appeal to me the way that Doom or Heretic would, and the whole "run around and hit switches, read cryptic messages that pop up on the screen, and try to figure out where to go next" thing does get old after a while, but as that goes it's a pretty long, drawn out game, which can be good if you're in the mood for a good involving game instead of a quick blastfest.

Hexen is a lot more fun when you actually know what you need to do. The hack'n'slash far outweighs the puzzles in terms of gameplay.

Both versions of Hexen suffered from the same problem IMO, of puzzles that werent really puzzles but obfuscated key hunts. See, I'd consider a normal puzzle game to give you everything you need to progress from the get go and let you squirm finding the correct answer; whereas in Hexen you always knew you had to press 5 hidden switches or put all the puzzle pieces into the puzzle machine, and were left to squirm finding the damn pieces. Its like telling someone to complete a 20 piece jigsaw and then hiding all the pieces in obscure places...

Still, its a great game.

I wish I got a chance to play the expansion pack. The N64 version was a horrid piece of shit.

hexen is a great game, i'd say its just as good as doom.
But the Korax mod is great too. it's an rpg type mod for hexen. it adds the possibilities of leveling up, but the monsters are much stronger...hexen(on pc) and the korax mod are both a must try.

I just downloaded the Korax Mod, thanks. :D

Though, should I play it with the Doomsday it comes with or in a different source port? Thanks. :D

You need to use the Doomsday that comes with it, as it's a modified version of 0.996 (which I think is last version that can be modified in this way). Fury also uses a modified version of 0.996.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You need to use the Doomsday that comes with it, as it's a modified version of 0.996 (which I think is last version that can be modified in this way). Fury also uses a modified version of 0.996.

Ah, alrighty. Thanks. :D

ok.. i went hunting for it today and basicly got laughed at by both employees at both places i went. So, where do i get it? Ebay? Does anyone here have a copy they want to part with for a nominal fee? Let me know.

Buy it too. It's Shadow of the Serpent Riders, meaning there are two extra (and rather hard at times) episodes. Another excellent game.

So much concentrated praise for Heretic/Hexen is refreshing... I like it. :)

Hexen is cool, but it gets very tedious, in my opinion. I've got to say though, dm in it is very, very fun.

Oh, and the PlayStation version was absolutely terrible. PC all the way, especially with ports. :)