Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pandoracell

exact mod tools that come with doom3

I know a level editor does, but what about a modeler. I cant afford any high end modelers, so does that mean I wont be able to make my own characters,etc. also, does it come with any other tools? thanks!

I highly doubt they will just give away a £300 modelling program free with the game, try something like Milkshape which can save in .3ds format, but is (relativley!) cheap

I use Houdini which is a highend 3d anim app, it has a fantastic modeler. The free "Apprentice" version lets you save as .obj files which you can then convert to .3ds or .ase using some conversion program. Houdini is sort of a tough app to learn but if you just focus on the modeling part it should be ok.
http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/

There are other free modeling apps, I hear good things about Wings3d.

But yeah, I'm also curious exactly what tools Id has included in the game.

I heard somewhere before that it came with great modelling software in the editor. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention though.

Oh yeah, how the hell did I forget about Blender. I've never used it, but it's supposed to be pretty good.

what they should do is produce a GMAX gamepack for the game.
And/or publish the file format of the 3D models used.

Either or both of those will aid in modelmaking without needing to spend $$$ on a 3D program.

Heck, there is a GMAX gamepack for Quake III .md3 files...

Darkhaven said:

The only tool Doom3 comes with is DOOMEdit.

You're forgeting Raven's GUI editor. That too, comes with Doom 3. I think there's a script editor lying somewhere in there as well..

turn off fullscreen mode (set Doom3 up as if you were to use the editor) and then type editgui or was it editGUI. Try either of these. Btw, you should lurk around Doom3World.org, you'll learn so much there.