Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spike

Ubermong light level question...

Yeah so i'm poring over some old maps and guess what? You were all right :) The light levels on some of the maps borders on zero visibility in places. So here's the question:
Can you up the lightlevel by, say, 30 on group selected sectors - even though their original lightlevels differ?

For example, i select 4 sectors with lightlevels of 60, 80, 100 and 50 respectively. Is it possible - with any editor - to up each of these by 30 with one command and therefore adjust the aforementioned lightlevels to 90, 110, 130 and 80?

There's that many sectors that need fixing that it'd take an age to do it one at a time - on 13 maps so far. As the maps use Jdoom, the other option would be to throw in some more lamps, torches, etc and increase the illumination radius, but i'd rather not clutter the areas up too much.

I think I may have seen a "distribute light levels" command in DETH before... I didn't bother to look for it, though.

I dont think hes looking to create gradient light level shades.

Spike; If you're using Doom Builder, select all sectors on which you wan to raise the light levels and right-click any of the selected ones to edit their properties. In the Brightness field, type ++30 and click OK. That will increase light levels in all selected sectors with 30.

CodeImp said:

Damn, and you'd think I knew that, since I use DETH quite a bit. :P

CodeImp said:

Spike; If you're using Doom Builder, select all sectors on which you wan to raise the light levels and right-click any of the selected ones to edit their properties. In the Brightness field, type ++30 and click OK. That will increase light levels in all selected sectors with 30.

Hah, wouldntcha fookin know it? IT WORKED! WHEEEEEEEEE!

Seriously though, cheers dude; i'm in your debt :)

Erik said:

heh, most good editors can do this without a sweat.

It's the first time i'd ever bothered using Doom Builder. Up until now, i've been stumbling by via the crappy medium of WinDEU.

As a side-remark might I add that the light levels in Doom goes by the following system: 0,16,32,48,64,80 etc. up to 255 where 0 is darkest and 255 lightest. There's nothing wrong by using for instance 30, only I dont know if it uses the light level of 32 or 48...

Sometimes I'll use numbers that are multiples of 16 since for example ZDoom can distingush between even single digit lighting differences. As for how it rounds lighting in vanilla though I'm not sure either.

Chris Hansen said:

As a side-remark might I add that the light levels in Doom goes by the following system: 0,16,32,48,64,80 etc. up to 255 where 0 is darkest and 255 lightest. There's nothing wrong by using for instance 30, only I dont know if it uses the light level of 32 or 48...

I had no idea that the light levels were stepped that way; i suppose it's possible that Jdoom - like Zdoom - gives true 255 level lighting, but i haven't thought of looking into it until now.

Actually i think a 225 light levels are different, they are just 'stepped' that way because any smaller and its hard to tell the difference

This was something I was completely oblivious to for a long time, but vanilla doom definitely doesn't have 255 lightlevels, just those mentioned in quadruples of 16. As I recall it always rounds the light level up. So even if you have a light level of say 17, it will still round it up to the higher number.

CodeImp said:

Holy crap, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

It depends, if your using vanilla then I think it always rounds up but if your using an OpenGL/D3D port like Doomsday then you can use any value and it will be displayed correctly.

It's just because I'm so adequately old-school that I per default always refers to Doom editing as vanilla Doom editing! ;)