Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hexbox

Modelled Rocks

Hey, I was taking a look at some of id's levels. For the large rocks and cliffs (and ground.. :P) outside, I couldn't select a single face of the structure, only the entire thing.

It's as if the entire thing was one solid brush.. were these made within the doom3 level editor, or are they modelled in another program (lightwave?) and then imported?

I ask because I'm wondering what's the best way to make a rocky surface instead of a boring flat cliffwall :P

I remember reading somewhere that all of the martian landscapes and stuff were done in a modelling program, not with the level editor. Theoretically you should be able to find those models and use them... but until someone puts together a resource list for that it could take a little while to find it.

Yeah. So they used lightwave, eh? I can't see how it could be done within the editor.. clipper is the only thing I've found to make things less boxey but it's not very useful for detailed 'carving'.

id software used LightWave, yet you can try to use a tesselated simple patch mesh and edit the vertices.

Sould give reasonable results.

I used to use GenSurf for Half-Life terrain, though I don't remember much about it due to it being ages since I used it. It's for Quake based games so it may be workable. I wonder if that's useable for D3 at least for a decent terrain base to build apon.

http://tarot.telefragged.com/gensurf/

BNA! said:

..simple patch mesh..

AHH! These things are great!!

How do I make one 'tesselated', though? I'm just using "Simple Patch Mesh.." from the menu, and it just asks for a width and height before generating one.

Well, when it asks for "height and width" it is basically asking how many columns and rows you want initially. So, if you want to be able to bend it around 5 different points independent of other CPs (control points) to make a more realistic shape.

I WOULD do a tutorial on terrain, but you can get better, smoother results with something like GenSurf. If the demand is high enough I can start a thread for patch-mesh based terrain, but I usually use GenSurf. It SHOULD work in Doom 3 Radiant, since it exports to a .map format that Q3Radiant and GTKRadiant uses.