Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

What was Doom 3's biggest flaw?

What do you feel, in your opinion, was the 1 biggest flaw you found in Doom 3? How would you fix it?

This is not a flaming thread, please keep it that way. I simply want to know what the most common flaw was in Doom 3. These are only opinions and are not complaints.

I personally would have liked to see more light. Not a whole lot, but more. I'd like to have used my flashlight a little less in the game. Creative uses of the darkness would have fixed this problems like finding appropriately placed blackouts or light flickers, etc..

Well, The fact that darkness is true BLACK HOLE OF HELL, i wish it was more like just reduced visiability, if it was a little more realistic in that sence i'd help alot, also the Flashlight on a mirror dont bounce back witch is another killer flaw.

On my computer I'd say the sounds need imrpovement.

On everyone else's computer I've seen the game is MUCH darker than on mine. They all have their gamma maxed too. The difference? I have a Geforce, they all have ATI (that's the only major difference we could find). If I had a screen as dark as theirs I'd say that's my main complaint.

Great game, I'm even starting to like the multi-player. Being a Wolf player mostly that's a big change.

The biggest flaw to me would have to be the scripting, there is just way too much of it for my tastes. I'd rather see some AI and have the monsters act on their own.

-E

DR.bertruger was the bigest flaw. having a demonic invasion masterminded by some faggort in a lob coat is not scarry. and hearing some nerd laughing and saying hes gonna steal my soul is not scarry. how ever if the whole evil thing was master minded by a demon I whould be much more scared. I'm a human, i'm not scarry and neigther is bertruger. he is just a shit head in a coat. plus hearing him laugh from time to time was just faggotry.

MaximusNukeage said:

DR.bertruger was the bigest flaw. having a demonic invasion masterminded by some faggort in a lob coat is not scarry. and hearing some nerd laughing and saying hes gonna steal my soul is not scarry. how ever if the whole evil thing was master minded by a demon I whould be much more scared. I'm a human, i'm not scarry and neigther is bertruger. he is just a shit head in a coat. plus hearing him laugh from time to time was just faggotry.

rofl faggotry.

I agree with this statement. Bertruger was just a little bastard with devil deeds. I mean for fuck sake the guy is like 60 years old im surprised he didnt break a hip in the process of summoning all of the demons though the portal.

MaximusNukeage said:

Masterminded? uh what??

He teleported into Hell, was possessed by a demon, came back, grabbed the soul cube and teleported back. That is how all hell broke loose on Mars. He didn't mastermind anything. For the rest of the game he pretty much just runs around doing nothing.

Edit: I'd imagine all the laughter/etc was him going insane from the demon who is possessing him. My guess is it was whispering some pretty naughty things in his ear the whole time.

i think he had somekind of deal with devils. he promised to bring hell upon mankind. but what i found ridiculous was he making a zombified guard out of some marine and spewing stupid spell words. i didnt find betruger any scary at all either. but i like the fact that everything you see or hear isnt explained.

Id say doom 3s root flaw that in turn inspired virtually every other flaw in the game is in that Doom 3 tried to cater to their homegrown audience of blaster fiends and bring in the survival/horror genre crowd at the same time.

God willing they won't try again.

what ruined the true terror was the soul cube with its gently female voice. martian angels or some shit?

Some monsters do not sound like their original counterparts at all. That was the biggest flaw, I think.

Also I would have loved (but only a minor point):

-Spider Mastermind / Arachnotron

-Maybe the Icon of Sin (as a real demon)

-One or two more scenes from the alpha ("I smell fear", demon breaking through pipes)

Biggest flaw? The final battle. Im really tiring of these "puzzle bosses" in games where there's a trick to beating it and you cant simply blast it to death.

Edit: Also I think there was way too much ammo on medium difficulty. But maybe Im just better at the game than I thought I would be.

I don't like the final battle either. My suggestion, if anything-- make it only KILLABLE with the soul cube. Start it off with a crap load of hit points. Once it goes down from normal fire enough, cybies goes into regeneration. Use the soul cube then. Everyone wins! (someone mod... NOW)

Anyhow my biggest dislike with the actual single player game is (which is common in many games) the "OH GOOD" factor. Except from one place in the game, there is exactly ONE path from point A to point B. OH GOOD! 30 other paths were destoyed but this one still works. OH GOOD! The we installed doors to Mars in JUST the right place, etc, etc. I like the idea of having parallel paths and I think it really adds to replayability.

the fact that when ever a new guy was introduced a cut scene would play was very lame. its scarrier to run into a new guy then to have a cut scene take over and do it for you

While you do have a point about the cut scenes, I kinda liked them. At least we should have one for the bosses-- the thing is some bosses become regular enemies. I consider the first time you see Mancs bosses because they kicked my ass I and need to save face ;)

The fact that the game was a fuckign rail shooter, might as weell have been just aiming and have the designers do all the walking and jumping, since you COULDNT GO ANYWHERE or explore at all. Linearity taken to the absurd extreme, fuckng max payne or unreal 2 times ten.

doesnt anybody else miss the secrets from doom 1 and 2? where you would have to solve a puzzle or do something interesting to get an item and *******

MaximusNukeage said:

ROTFLOL

I have no prombelm with gay people or being PC or anythign, but damn that post was funny and true

oh and Lord Flathead is right about the Imps, although thats not the games only problem by far

and the monster closests gottta go

the fact that monsters have nothing better to do than teleport behind you, hide behind walls or make incredibly lame noises kinda ruined the game...in doom 2 all hidden monsters are well done, but teleporting imps ruined this game completely i agree. And apparently satans gone into interior decorating because whats with the closets filled with monsters? its like they have nothing to do all day but sit behind a wall....wow, real scary, you havent walked in 3 weeks. betruegers really lame too..they couldnt have made it a huge scandanavian guy like in perfect dark who turns out to be a demon/alien? I too am surprised they hired a writer for this plotline.

Deathmatcher said:

-Maybe the Icon of Sin (as a real demon)

-One or two more scenes from the alpha ("I smell fear", demon breaking through pipes)

Yes I wish they would have included the all the cinematics from the Alpha. I think the last one would have been a good ending for the demo.

Also, and I'm not flaming when I ask this, how would you make the icon of sin a demon? It's exactly what it's title is. It's an icon. And icon representing Sin. It's not a demon, John Remero was the utlimate enemy in D2.

1. We are martians. Fucking stupid.

2. Too fucking dark. The engines most vaunted graphical feature became one of the larger flaws in the game. Even in a room with lights everywhere you still couldnt see shit with out the flashlight. This game has incredible models and animation but you very rarely got to see it in action because of the constant unending darkness. Youd think hell would be a well lit place with billions of gallons of lava everywhere and everything burning, but nope you still couldnt see for shit. Thank god for the pistol light mod.

3. Spawning in shit behind me. An imp is ok occasionally, OCCASIONALLY... not every 2 minutes. It gets even worse when HELL KNIGHTS AND ARCH VILES are spawning in 3 inches behind you already in the attack animation. On veteran difficulty a hell knight could kill you in maybe 2 plasma whacks if you were at full life. I still feel the orignal doom games have some of the absolute best enemy placement and map design ever.... what the hell happened here Id??

I still enjoyed the game but it could have been much better.

Oh and that writer they hired needs to be fired. I think id could have done a much better story on their own instead of relying on some camp ass cliched sci-fi hack of a writer.

Oh, and the physics engine needed alot more work.

Hm, well this has been done to death, But i dont like the stuff about the 'Martian remains' and the UAC Knowing about the demons before hand, a MUCH better, and IMO more scary thing to happen, would be them just innocently testing something out and suddenly hell spews out of the gate with no warning, and totally unexpectedly. Also the 'demons' should have been more like the originals (heh, thats the MOST done to death thing on this forum, well that and "HOW DO I RUN WADS?")

AND the fucking imps teleporting behind you, not big, not clever

Fairy Gnome Goat said:

I still feel the orignal doom games have some of the absolute best enemy placement and map design ever.... what the hell happened here Id??

Well, the original DoomĀ“s/Doom2Ā“s levels were created by John Romero, Sandy Petersen, American McGee, Tom Hall and Shawn Green. None of these people works at id Software anymore.

S1lent said:

Also, and I'm not flaming when I ask this, how would you make the icon of sin a demon? It's exactly what it's title is. It's an icon. And icon representing Sin. It's not a demon, John Remero was the utlimate enemy in D2.

I mean the demonspitter, as I call it most of the times, is refered to as "the horrendous visage of the biggest demon youĀ“ve ever seen" in the final text. So itĀ“s just a visage and not the demon itself. Think about this demon as a real monster, like 3 times as big as a Cyberdemon, trying to stomp you or to bite you and maybe even spawing lesser demons from itĀ“s mouth. That would be awesome!

1. Overuse of Imps when similar demons would've added variety
2. Pistol sound was inconsistent with the apparent calibre of the weapon. It sounded more like a .22 hitting mud.
3. It ended :(

Deathmatcher said:
Think about this demon as a real monster, like 3 times as big as a Cyberdemon, trying to stomp you or to bite you and maybe even spawing lesser demons from itĀ“s mouth. That would be awesome!

Some guy has drawn said monster... Edmundo Bordeu, if I'm not mistaken. And, also, the "Icon of Sin" is the map's name. That does not necessarily mean that is the name for the demon spewing visage. I wouldn't call the boss "Icon of Sin."

knives_millions said:

I agree with this statement. Bertruger was just a little bastard with devil deeds. I mean for fuck sake the guy is like 60 years old im surprised he didnt break a hip in the process of summoning all of the demons though the portal.

He looked like a 90 year old Marilyn Manson to me...with his wicked ways.

For me the biggest flaw was that it was linear. The other flaws are fixable in patches, ie flashlight and the low performance areas ( 1 warehouse in the delta labs, 2 areas in hell, and the final fight )

The specualtion that we are martians was just that not proved, and it plays on the missing link. This is not the first place where there is a theory we are from out of space.

The good ( bad doctor ) was a victom like everyone else. Look at him he looks like a well preserved zombie being controled by a demon, the demon who swallows his soul in the end movie.

And in concept the doom game is scary you just could not get scared with the technology they had when they first made doom. The whole Doom series is a bad horror movie spoof anyway, everything is stereo typed. That was part of what made it so great. I actually appreciated a more realistic space marine in Doom3. The last three paragraphs is me disagreeing with what some people think is flaws. Again it is just my opinion. :D cheers.

Biggest flaw I have seen, there's not much variety of things to wonder off and do, you're pretty much stuck going down one hallway or going 1 way period through the map. There was no really kick ass background music other than the Main Menu. To many spawning creatures jumping on your back.

As soon as I would see a creature span in front of me I would automatically look behind me first, 9x out of 10 there would be something coming up on your back.

Yes, when Betruger went through "Hell Gate #1," he came out possessed by Satan. The only reason I don't say demon is because when you get out of hell he says "The portal is big enough for millions of my children to come"

Or something of that nature. But he does say "My children" and that would clearly indicate that he is Satan or possessed by Satan. It could be possible that he was possessed the whole time and just sort of acted and that's why the experiments went so far. He did state that "Amazing things are going to happen soon. You just wait" This could also indicate that he knew what was going to happen.

myk said:

Some guy has drawn said monster... Edmundo Bordeu, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey, I would love to see that drawing. Can you give a link? I didnĀ“t find it with google.