Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Alien vs Predator (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Saw it opening day and I have to say that I thought it was pretty damned cool. When the Alien first appears and takes out 2/3 of the predator party definitely made me situp and smile. It was a little boring before that though. The Predator/Human alliance against the queen was pretty badass as well. Definitely better than Freddy vs Jason as far as movie crossovers go.

AVP2 anyone?

So what are your opinions on the movie?

You mean all the rumours and shit fly about, then it suddenly appears with pretty much non-existent publicity, ah well, i'll have to check for UK release

Now we need to see Judge Dredd vs Predator, as long as they do Dredd properly this time, ie he keeps his helmet on, and isnt Stallone...

I think it was cool, and I was sort of looking for all the nods to the AvP franchise, including that last shot.

I liked it. It got good once the Aliens and Yautja met for the first time. But.... before that it started pretty slow, in my opinion. still very cool though.

I purposely didn't look at this thread until I saw the movie.. Now I have.
I loved it. It was a good as a crossover could probably have hoped to be. I enjoyed special fx. Did Stan Winston work on this one?

It did feel rushed, but people would've said the opposite if the movie started without any setting up of the plot, and anymore action would've run 3 hours at least.

Silverwyvern said:

I purposely didn't look at this thread until I saw the movie.. Now I have.
I loved it. It was a good as a crossover could probably have hoped to be. I enjoyed special fx. Did Stan Winston work on this one?

Yep, Winston, Woodruff and even Joel Silver (Predator producer). I'm not expecting it in the UK for a few months, but the clips i've seen look promising indeed. Wheee!

i thought it was pretty dumb and awful.

EDIT: 666th post.

Cyb's Review of AVP:

Where to start. First off I will say I am a pretty big fan of both franchises. I enjoyed all of the Alien and Predator movies, though they were not without their flaws, for the most part they're six good movies (perhaps with the exception of Alien 3 which is pretty blah).

That said, I wasn't expecting much from this movie and I knew I shouldn't go in with high expectations or even dare compare it to Alien or Aliens or Predator. So I didn't.

When all is said and done the movie is crap. Pure and total crap. Where to start. There is no semblance of character at all. Every character is entirely one-sided. The strong female role (I assume Sigourney Weaver wasn't available, or they couldn't figure out a way to stick her character in another movie with another half-assed excuse that doesn't really make sense), the suave Italian guy, the friendly British family man, the smart guy, the butch chick who likes guns, the old, sick, tycoon and a bunch of nameless throw away characters. Not to say Aliens and Predator weren't guilty of these things, but their characters actually survived long enough to develop a slight amount so that I actually cared about them a little.

That's right, everyone dies. And quick. The characters are picked off within the first ten seconds of meeting the aliens and Predators. This wasn't really a problem itself, except that the movie attempted to do them in the classic gory way of the previous R-rated movies, but refused to go above a PG-13 since it's a summer blockbuster. I was expecting it to take some hit from the PG-13, but everything was done similar to previous movies except right before any human blood was to show up they quickly cut to another scene with the echoing scream of the previous person. I'm sure there are better ways to do that; it just didn't do it for me. Plus who cares if the butch chick who likes guns got killed. She had one fucking line before. Boo hoo.

Now, I say 'human blood' because they were allowed to be relentless with the Predator blood. The Predators, who are traditionally capable of taking out a bunch of heavily armed marines, or a bunch of drug lords and cops get bitch slapped by like two aliens. The fight scene was sort of cool when I could actually understand what was going on (note to directors: shaking the camera a whole lot does not make a battle scene cooler or more intense, it makes the audience sick and confused) but then the first Predator died. And then the second one. Within about three minutes of each other. This was like the scene in Jurassic Park 3 where the T-Rex gets killed by that stupid Spinosaurus thing. Totally ruins the previous events where he (T-Rex or Predator) was an unstoppable badass.

Anyway, after Anderson killed off the majority of the cast, human and Predator, he suddenly must have realized that there was no semblance of a plot at all because he then feels the need to have the suave Italian guy explain the entire thing because it's written on the fucking wall. Yeah, fuck developing a plot or revealing details over time, let's just tell the audience exactly what we want as blatantly as possible. With the 'plot' out of the way the Italian guy promptly dies (because he was the only one who could translate the hieroglyphics, so we don't need him around any more, writing dialog is hard man!) and the strong female role chick and the last Predator team up (for no apparent reason). They both somehow realize that they must stop the aliens, so they toss one of those bombs in there and scoot up to the surface in dramatic fashion which includes an awesomely terrible slow motion run ala Baywatch (I actually cringed while I was watching it).

Somehow, the freeze dried queen manages to survive that massive explosion even though she was pretty much at the epi-center, runs up this 3 mile long hope in the ground and chases the last human and predator around a bunch. After a bit of that (which was the best part of the movie, good action sequence, but certainly not worth the price of admission when you take the rest of the movie into account) she stabs the final predator with her tail and then falls into the ocean because she got chained to some conveniently placed huge metal thing by a cliff near the ocean. So she falls in there and sinks away, I assume never to be seen again (but who knows).

So then the Predators show up ala Predator 2 and give the chick a spear and leave with the body of the last Predator. So sad. And then comes the sequel scene (and I pray to god they never make it,and I don't even believe in god) The last predator was face hugged a while back and has a alien/predator alien thing in him. End of movie, hooray!

All in all, total crapfest. One cool scene, a shitload of useless throw-away characters, everyone dies in three seconds offscreen with no blood, blah blah blah don't waste your money what a shitty movie.

1/5

This movie totally destroys the chances of seeing another Alien movie with a decent director. Cameron stated that he would never direct another one if they made an AvP movie (he rightly felt it would cheapen the series), and I doubt those rumours about Ridley Scott being interested in wrapping up the saga will come true now that this movie is out there. *sigh*

Cyb said:

[INSERT ENTIRE FREAKING POST HERE.]

That's exactly what I was expecting... good thing I didn't waste my money on it =)

I'll wait for this one and RENT it (if that's even worth it)

Cyb said:

I hate the directors mother...

I know why I enjoyed the movie.. because when I went into the theatre I was like "Okee. this is a crossover.. it's bound to be full of big shovelfulls of shit'.. so my hopes weren't high. That said, as a b movie fan, this is a glorified b movie. Alien was never anywhere near a glorified b movie.. It was cold hard talent locked onto a layer of flim.

Back to AVP. It's a crossover.. It could never hope to be like mommy alien and daddy predator... it's an odd lovechild. A freaky little mutant thing. I dunno, for all the cheese in the script, it still looked very nice ;)

Psyonisis said:

Well that certainly puts it in a different perspective. My first reply to the thread was literally an hour or so after I saw the movie, but since then I've been pondering it and your review was pretty similar to my final thoughts.

Psyonisis said:

Well that certainly puts it in a different perspective. My first reply to the thread was literally an hour or so after I saw the movie, but since then I've been pondering it and your review was pretty similar to my final thoughts.

Yea I'm feeling the same way a little bit. But then again, I expected it to be corny and I felt it was a good way to get a bag of a popcorn and chill with my friends. Cheesy, but I liked it

See, I'm worried now. I remember when i went to see Alien Resurrection at the cinema, and i came out thinking, "damn, that was amazing!"

Then i started thinking about it, and the opinion shifted to, "well, it was ok". So now i've watched the Alien Quadrilogy in sequence, and the final judgement is "OMFG that Jean-Pierre Jeunet's mother needs a kick in the fanny".

I can just see the same thing happening over AVP.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a wonderful director, I just don't know what Fox was thinking when they hired him - it's not his style at all. If you didn't like AR, then watch "Amelie" instead, if you haven't already.

I've read the book (well, the first one) and they really made the human - predator relationship work there.

Honestly, I've been worried about this film ever since that shit-machine Anderson got involved. It could have been cool, but it was not to be.

In fact, this year has been a total crapfest in regard to film.

I usually don't like BIG MONEY MAKING FRANCHISE VS. BIG MONEY MAKING FRANCHISE movies, but I really wanna see this one. I'll let you know what I think when I see it.

Silverwyvern said:

I dunno, for all the cheese in the script, it still looked very nice ;)

I agree. The CG and creature effects were done very well, and I really can't say anything bad about them. Plus, like I said, the last action sequence was cool.

The rest of the movie though...

Cyb said:

(which was the best part of the movie, good action sequence, but certainly not worth the price of admission when you take the rest of the movie into account)

Didn't Arioch buy your ticket?

Scuba Steve said:

Didn't Arioch buy your ticket?

No, I paid him back

Well, I just saw it lastnight and let me say this.

It was a good movie, but not as good as all the hype about it. I have no clue why people praise this movie so much. It wasn't that good.

Verdale said:

It was a good movie, but not as good as all the hype about it. I have no clue why people praise this movie so much. It wasn't that good.

Best sarcasm in the world?