Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Cacodemon

Is the new Caco better than the Icon? (Figuratively, not "of Sin")?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the new Caco better than the Icon? (Figuratively, not "of Sin")?

• Yes the new Caco is better!
    • Old Caco rules, new one blows goatse, or impse
    • New one is cool, but old on still is better...

The caco was a definitive icon of Doom. It even was the icon for Doom 95. Although it is considered by some, a shameless, uncreative ripoff (EDIT:Both may be considered ripoffs of D&D or Dukenukem), it's iconic status for Doom cannot be challenged. What other Doom creature can consider this upon its' mighty shoulders? (Shoulders?) Do you feel that Doom 3's Caco V2.0 has lived up to it's predocessor? Is the new one better or worse in your humble opinion? As we do not have the poll function in the D3 forums, I'm posting this here, feel free to move it there if you will.

Scabbed Angel said:

it's iconic status for Doom cannot be challenged. What other Doom creature can consider this upon its' mighty shoulders?

the cyberdemon?

For the ignorant, even? I think most would remebmer that odd ball of red. Most people who haven't even played the game would recognize the caco over cybie, and relate it to Doom, or so I've come to acknowledge.

I wasn't unhappy with it so I voted 3. However, old caco is still the best, and I wish the new one had more of a classic look. Whatever, it seems none of the new baddies have much resemblance to the old anyway.

The new one reminds me of an altered Duke Nukem Octobrain. It always baffled me how they float around. This is way better than arguing about religion.

The Caco in Doom3 looks quite freaky, and cool to boot, but the original Caco owns it.

Tomato = Win. I was dissapointed by the new d3 caco. :( I was hoping it would be another giant red tomato. But noooo it had to be small and brown.

I have to admit, I wish the new one was bigger. But it's still pretty cool. One of my favorite things to do is to run right up to its face and unlease my sg.

Somebody is making skins to match the classic monsters, as I've heard

Mr. Chris said:

Somebody is making skins to match the classic monsters, as I've heard

that would be interesting.

Scabbed Angel said:

The caco was a definitive icon of Doom. It even was the icon for Doom 95. Although it is considered by some, a shameless, uncreative ripoff...

Hahahah. That's rich. Essentially turning the Doom 3 caco into Duke 3Ds octobrain was shameless, uncreative ripoff.

Job said:

Hahahah. That's rich. Essentially turning the Doom 3 caco into Duke 3Ds octobrain was shameless, uncreative ripoff.

well, duke3d is newer then doom...maybe he means the fact that the caco is the basicly the head of the astral dreadnaught

Quast said:

well, duke3d is newer then doom...maybe he means the fact that the caco is the basicly the head of the astral dreadnaught

Heh, either way it's still a design robbery, down to the electical fireball. But sure, why not? The astral dreadnaught too.

Scabbed Angel said:

Although it is considered by some, a shameless, uncreative ripoff (EDIT:Both may be considered ripoffs of D&D or Dukenukem), it's iconic status for Doom cannot be challenged.

gatewatcher said:

it seems none of the new baddies have much resemblance to the old anyway.

Haven't you seen the D3 Arch-Vile? Looks almost identical to the original.

I don't understand why some peole just can't see Both Dooms in two different worlds. If you looked at both games with out comparing monsters them you love it more. I love the caco in Doom so much I'le play doom. I like the doom 3 caco so i'le play doom 3.

I think the people at id software put quite a bit of work into the new cacodemon, and while it still looks very cool, nothing can take my heart away from that big old flying tomato that I grew up with.

gatewatcher said:

...it seems none of the new baddies have much resemblance to the old anyway.

Zombie (some)
Arch-vile
Revenant
Mancubus (if it weren't for that flap on it's face)

Anyways, the cacodemon is indeed an icon of Doom. But then so is the imp and the Pinky demon. And, obviously, the doomguy.

Personally I think they rank like this.

1. Pinky Demon
2. Imp
3. Cacodemon
4. Doomguy
5. Lost Soul
6. Baron of Hell or Hell Knight
7. Spider Mastermind
8. Cyberdemon

And the list goes on and on and on.

S1lent said:

Mancubus (if it weren't for that flap on it's face)

I don´t mind the flap, it´s cool and seems to be the perfect "update" for the modern Mancubus of today.
Unlike the multitude of eyes of the new imp - the eyes are the most prominent and important feature of a charakter. You can ruin an otherwise identical design with the wrong set of eyes. But I can live with the new imps, after all...

Old Imp:
- Two red eyes
- Browm
- Spikes all over its body

New Imp:
- 6 or 8 red eyes
- Grey
- No Spikes

There really isn't much a resemblance except for it's human-like figure.

S1lent said:

There really isn't much a resemblance except for it's human-like figure.

Well, and the whole scratching and fireball throwing thing. Heh.

Deathmatcher said:

Unlike the multitude of eyes of the new imp - the eyes are the most prominent and important feature of a charakter. You can ruin an otherwise identical design with the wrong set of eyes.

You never mentioned anything about the actions or animation of it, you only said the design which was "Identical"