Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

Your honest opinion required...

Dubh said:

Some of you may know me......member for some time now...previously a lurker back from the days of MacWorld. I live in Ireland and am currently on vacation in Boston.As a result I haven't got to play Doom yet. Yesterday I had the damn thing in my hands in Sam GOodies.

Heh, there isn't a Newbury Comics in Southie? =P

I based my rating of doom 3s storyline in comparison to OTHER games, not just doom 1, that’s right, I play other games besides doom, forgive me I’m weak, anywho there’s actually many computer game genres out there besides doom and some have really GOOD storylines, now somehow in your mind you’ve figured that this is a “pretty good story”

+++MASSIVE STORY SPOILERS AHEAD+++

evil daemons invaded “non evil alien land”, and killed lots of them, then the aliens invented “THE COUB OF PAWNAGE” to fight them all off, but after they faught the demons off most of them were still dead so they fled to the earth for safety, were they eventually evolved into MAN! (Editors note: Woa holy shit talk about plot twist!) In unrelated spontaneous news the aliens also lead an aristocratic society! (Editors note: holy crap, I think my water broke, aristocratic society you say, I feel so intrigued by the immense story appeal) Then the aliens evolved into man and several thousand years later (half a dozen wars between the artobots and decepticons) the evil corporate junkies of the 22nd century decided that they should go to mars and open up a portal to somewhere.

No place in particular just somewhere. But then that somewhere turned out to be HELL! (Editors note: oh… my… god… how EPIC!) Then a force of vaguely described “hellish” energy smashes the base and turns 9 out every 10 people into zombies completely regardless of physical and mental prowess plus this creepy geriatric named Betrueger (Editors note: German for bastard or something else extremely subtle.) somehow magically made a deal with the demons that weren’t really there with him and became their KING! (Editors note: oh my god another twist this plot is like a roller coaster)

Now “super ro beast Betrueger” can cast magical spells and turn guards into SUPER NAZI HELMET TENTICLE ZOMBIES (editors note: again regardless of the victims physical or mental disposition.) And this is were the action picks up, Dr Swann a republican with values and his gung ho compatriot body guard Texan inexplicably decide that they should plunge deeper into the hellinized base. Then you go to HELL ITSELF for one level.

I’m sorry comprehending the massive scope of doom 3s plot stupidity is putting a strain on my head.

Black Hand said:
I based my rating of doom 3s storyline in comparison to OTHER games, not just doom 1, that’s right, I play other games besides doom, forgive me I’m weak, anywho there’s actually many computer game genres out there besides doom and some have really GOOD storylines, now somehow in your mind you’ve figured that this is a “pretty good story”

Firstly, apologies for being so aggressive before - it WAS uncalled for.
But having read countless complaints about the story that send me the message that the story apparently is really crappy (as in: badly written, making no sense whatsoever and adding absolutely nothing to the experience) and then finding out that the story is not only intricately detailed, but it really adds to the atmosphere too...all that makes me incredibly angry and kinda shows me that people are a bunch of unfair liars.

And I hate liars or people that exaggerate the bad points, especially when they tactlessly criticize a game I like - naturally, this tempts me to rip people's heads off. I would ask you to shbow just a bit more consideration, but since I responded in such a stupid matter, I don't really deserve it anyway.

On to your point:

I've played a couple other games with good storylines too (StarCraft to mention an example) and granted, Doom 3's storyline is not the best I've experienced, but I didn't expect that either, considering it's a retelling of Doom 1's story and considering it's an FPS (I don't recall having experienced an FPS with a truly detailed storyline save perhaps for Half Life - Deus Ex retail I haven't tried).
However, I like the way the storyline is executed in Doom 3 - the way you gradually uncover small fragments of the story (as well as personal things that aren't really relevant, but serve to add detail to the game world) and yesterday, I experienced a plot twist that caught me by surprise - it is not often a plot twist surprised me like this and the recent years haven't brought about anything as memorable as this one.
So, the base plot is not anything phenomenal, but does it really matter? What matters to me is that the plot adds to the immersiveness of the overall game and I think D3's does. And yeah, a few things were predictable, but I think it's pretty hard to do it otherwise and make it so it still makes sense.

I haven't beaten the game yet so I don't know if the ending is a total anticlimax. Somebody said the ending was gay, but judging by the recent influx of D3 plot bashings, I would rather not trust that "someone" any farther than the shit falls from my asshole.
I'll arrive in the spoiler forum as soon as I've beaten the game, then I'll be able to argue this point better and hopefully in a less hostile manner.

If there's one thing I think is actually bad about the story so far, it's the way the Commando is revealed. Wtf?

Heh, if you checked my forum posts before doom 3s release you’d see that I was just as much of a devoted fan boy as the next guy, the daily andrewb witch-hunt ext ext. If I had any interest in lying it would be in doom 3s defense.

Personally I think I was fair with my rating of doom 3, I rated doom 3 as a game that has just been released and by the features ID said were going to be included in it, not as "a game that I’ve been waiting for, for four years" (although I have) and not as a "scary amusement park ride."

I doubt that by the time you finish the game you'll actually feel like making a large argument in its defense.

Yea starcraft really does kick ass, I mean consider what blizzard was working with, facial portraits and "Center screen on X unit" and toss in some wav files. They pulled it off with such limited resources.

dsm said:

How the Hell can you sprout such bullshit and still look yourself in the mirror without puking?
So far I think the story is awesome. They really fleshed out the storyline for the old game in a very intricate way and the way they gradually reveal stuff really pulled me in so far. Did you really expect anything else than the basic Doom 1 plot, but with more details? If you did, you're a fool.

All I expected was the old Doom story rewritten somewhat faithfully, but explaining elements in greater detail. So far, I got more than I bargained for.
"OMG!!! I can knock down every single soda can in the game!!! Amusement galore!!!"

You might want to retract that comment when you finish the game, trust me, its NOT the same as doom 1... youll see

and yes, the physics engine REALLY IS USED for every single chair, light and soda can in the excact manner you describe... althoug in my opinion thats a GOOD thing

Black Hand said:
Personally I think I was fair with my rating of doom 3, I rated doom 3 as a game that has just been released and by the features ID said were going to be included in it, not as "a game that I’ve been waiting for, for four years" (although I have) and not as a "scary amusement park ride."

I must emphasize that I don't have anything against your rating nor the fact that the game did not live up to your expectations, I'm just tired of the constant plot-bashing I see everywhere (plus a few other imo retarded complaints such as the neverending, moronic flashlight complaints).

I can understand most (if not all) of your other complaints perfectly well - the whole "the game is linear as Hell" is certainly a negative point if you like multiple options and I can understand why some think the darkness gets annoying at times.

I doubt that by the time you finish the game you'll actually feel like making a large argument in its defense.

Maybe, but on the other hand, others I've talked to have beaten the game and still think the game is the best thing since Doom 1/2. Yes, some of those even said the story kicked ass.

What would a logical person conclude from those widely contradicting "observations"?
That the game works differently on different people that's what.

So far, I've replayed the beginning of the game four times (and I haven't even beaten the game yet), just to, yet again, experience the immortal "The Devil...is real!" scene and the panicked radio transmissions. All of that clearly made an impression on me and I regard that as a good start.

dsm said:

I don't recall having experienced an FPS with a truly detailed storyline save perhaps for Half Life

Half-Life's story? Detailed? O_o

In my opinion Doom 3 is the second best FPS ever.
Second to Doom, that is.

Oh and Black Hand, please shut your hole.

Like I said destx, just ignore him. The sooner people stop taking the bait (I'm as guilty as anyone) the sooner our collective wish will come true.

Sorry Joel, even if you ignore me my power of logic, foresight and rationality (your accursed enemies) wont "go away," if anything they would increase.

So ignore on my confused little friend.

(Let me know if you want to get back on topic any time soon I really don’t want to see you derail this thread.)

Black Hand said:

ignore me my power of logic, foresight and rationality

Made that your title so that joel can remember... no no, don't thank me.

^^^^heh

Just because someone disagrees with the majority opinion (which isnt even really true in Balck Hand's case) that doesnt make them a troll

This IS NOT a fan forum, nobody should feel obliged to defend the game, especialy to the point of labelling poeple trolls because they dont like it

He asked for an honest opinion

Wobbo I have no problem with people expressing their opinions in the slightest. It's when they do it over and over again, slam anyone who disagrees, and trys and tells them their opinion is somehow wrong or invalid that I get pissed off.

Weather or not you like the story is an OPINION NOT A FACT, I think the story was kick ass 90%, I also liked deusex2's story and kotor's story, but you could also make them sound stupid too, I can cut apart the movie the pinaist, saying, the stupid moron just ran around helplessly for hours on end then its a happy ending. Thats no way to rate a story tho man.

DSM :
" GREAT weapon sounds. The reloading sounds in particular are really sweet and coupled with excellent animations, they feel truly like real weapons. I don't understand why people complain about "weak machinegun sounds" - are they expecting a fucking autocannon? It sounds appropriate for a small, low-calibre submachinegun and it really has a satisfying rattling sound when it fires. The shotgun sounds are perfect."

I think that you never used real fire weapons : a real shotgun does a lot more noise than that...Idem for the pistol and the submachinegun...Trent Reznor sounds are a lot more realistics...So I use the sound pack...

Great game to own...After you complete the game though, it can get repetitive. I think it's one of those games, where you beat it and wait a month. Then its fucking brand new.

JoelMurdoch said:

Wobbo I have no problem with people expressing their opinions in the slightest. It's when they do it over and over again, slam anyone who disagrees, and trys and tells them their opinion is somehow wrong or invalid that I get pissed off.

Fair enough, but Black Hand has done none of the above whereas many of the people who thought doom3 was perfect actually *do* spend time flaming and bashing those who disagree, say that the game is great and wonderful over and over, and even tell peopel that their opinions are invalid because they had "wrong" expectations or "a misunderstanding of what id was trying to make" and so on.

Expressing you opinion in a thred "whats your honest recomendation" is not a flame, if it happens to be that youve said the same thing before so be it. The same can be said of the praise for doom3.

Defending your ideas against someone else who is flaming you is 100% legitimate.

'Whats good for the goose is good for the gander'

JoelMurdoch said:

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions in the slightest. It's when they do it over and over again, slam anyone who disagrees, and trys and tells them their opinion is somehow wrong or invalid that I get pissed off.

I don't hijack threads and state my opinions over and over again, not unless someone insults my opinion directly and/or asks for an honest opinion, No one was flaming anyone over individual opinions in this thread by the time you showed up Skippy.

1) I rated doom poorly.
2) DSM flamed me
3) I retorted comically but yet un-offensively
4) DSM replied grudgingly admitting that he shouldn’t have bitten my head off
5) I comment again agreeing with some of the comments he made
6) You show up hours later and needlessly insult me.
7) Who’s the offender?

So please don't start bitching in this thread about bashing and flaming.

Freaken Hypocrite...

Congratulations you’ve mastered the fine art of "reiteration" you are now fit and prepared to be a naggy grandmother and/or town drunk, remember you get to wave your penis at traffic on Saturdays!