Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Favorite map of all time.

Hmmm

As a kid, I always liked e1m8. It was so cool, because it was the most dramatic map at that point in the game. The star shaped map, the first appearance of the barons, and the reward for beating them --

You're sent to a room where you die and go to Hell. The color scheme is very simple and cool.

It's just a really atmospheric map, looking back on it, especially for map01.

I don't know which is my all time favorite map.

But
- Scythe Map26 I played mostly
and
- Alien Vendetta Map20 is the most beautiful one.

And from a demo viewer perspective:
Doom II Map24 - really an ugly Map, but Sedlo's lv24-036 changes this to pure beauty :)

SunlapseVertigo said:

some strange choices there if I may say so.

You may, and whats so strange about those choices?

My feelings have been hurt deeply..

Angus Thermopyle said:

Sedlo's lv24-036 changes this to pure beauty :)

Yeah... DOOM II map 36 is truly great. :P

mje said:

Yeah... DOOM II map 36 is truly great. :P

It was done in 36 seconds, dipstick.

Oh, and my favorite level is probably ZDCTFMP map08. I always have fun playing on that map.

I don't know if this is my very favourite map but the very first map in Inferno by Chris Lutz is just so awesome. It really sets the mood perfectly for the rest of the levels.
There are like 3 Lost souls in the entire level but it is just bursting with atmosphere and the first time I played it I was always expecting some demons to jump out.
I also like the very first level from the Aliens TC for the same reason.
Whilst it looks nowhere near as impressive as Inferno it has a similar atmosphere. It's just so weird to play a doom level and everything to be so quiet.

E1M7, Monster Condo, and Bloodfalls are all tied for me. I love every thing about them, even down to the music.

Grazza said:

I presume you mean map20. "One Flew Over the Caco's Nest" was kind of cute though. :p

heh yes, I did mean 20. But yes, 21 was cute :P

I neglected to mention Scythe as well which was a bit criminal of me.

Ultimate Doom: Phobos Anomaly (For the same reasons the previous poster who liked E1M8), Tower of Babel

Doom 2: Tricks and Traps, Gotcha!

E2M6, if only in the scare-factor. Fucked me up something wicked as a kid.

Map 28 was cool pretty atmospheric. Probably the best in Doom ][ although I wouldn't count it as the best level ever. With genius creations like Alien Vendetta and deus vult out there, some things can just never come close...

Doom2 Map17 Tenements - best id designed map ever. certainly far better design than most maps released since doom2 itself.

Doom2 an_coop2.wad by Michal Mesko - I think one of the best designed level since the release of doom2, definately the best coop map ever.

Single Player Doom 1: Can't decide between E1M6 and E1M7...so tough... :(
Single Player Doom 2: MAP10. Probably because it's a Doom I reject.
Multiplayer: moo2d.wad
CTF: ZDaemon CTF Map Pack 1: Map08

It was a Wad pack called 'Rot in Hell'
lots of good levels, new additons...
Sometimes when you killed an Imp you would get a voice over that said "Die you basterd!" and all the music was ripped from old Metallica songs. I would love to play this again, but it was way back in 97 when i found it the first time. so I have no clue if its still around.

Tough call. I guess I have to go with the one which i have the most emotional attachment to, which is Dark Covenant map01. It's also a lot of fun, with open area ssg vs arachnotron battles and nice opportunities for infights. map03 of the same wad takes spot #2.

If I was going with sheer quality of design, vrack3 and all the late nimrod maps pop up.