Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alboroto

Need some advice

I just got my computer back, so I'm ready for an upgrade...ç

I'm going to buy a GeForce card, 128mb but I haven't checked for prices or anything, and a RAM upgrade, to 1Gb or so.

Well, this is what I have now. My quiestion is: Will it run with the planned upgrade? (NOTE: Just Video Card and RAM)

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1.53 GHz
224Mb RAM (Let's put it as 1Gb)

Thanks.

the ram is a good upgrade but i wouldnt put too much money into a video card with your system.i would suggest a ati 9800pro or an nvidia 5900ultra both are under $200.

depends upon what gfx card you get.
I have a geforce4 ti 4600 (which is almost 2 years old now) and only 512 Mb RAM... and my system plays DOOM3 very well.(at medium res)
What I'm trying to say is: you need some RAM, but a more recent gfx card will get you there.

warning one: be careful of what RAM you get/need some require pairs; some may not work with your old(current) RAM
warning two: be wary of getting a card that your MoBo/BIOS can't use.(or take the benefits of)
warning three: perhaps don't spend $1000 on upgrading your system to play a game that is only average.

I was just talking on the phone with a friend, he said that I could get a GeForce 3 for about $80.

For the RAM part, anyway I have to upgrade it since my wife will be working on some graphic projects and she will need a lot of ram.

What about the processor? Does it look enough?

Opulent said:

warning three: perhaps don't spend $1000 on upgrading your system to play a game that is only average.

thats an opinion not shared by me[the only average part].

Believe me, I wont be able to spend more that $300 in everithing...

About the average part, can't tell yet. Hope it's a bit more than average, I have waited too long to be dissapionted

The only hurdle I see may be the FSB. You can have 3 gigs of ram, but if only runs at 133 mhz, you're going to see evil load times and jumpy framerates. I don't know how many Mhz your processor runs at, so I can't comment on that.