Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A. Dummy

Downgrade Patch to 0.99/1.0

Hi there, I just wanted to know something.

I recently downloaded the patch that downgrades Ultimate DOOM to DOOM v1.1, and I liked playing it because I thought it was the original version. But then I learned in an FAQ that v1.1 was released on 12/16/93. The one EXACTLY released on 12/10/93 (the one I want) was v0.99/1.00.

So is there a patch that can downgrade any version of DOOM (preferably Ultimate DOOM) to v0.99/1.00? And if there isn't, could someone make the patch?

I'm asking this because I'd really like to play the original DOOM the way it was when it was originally released.

Probably. But then again, there are both v1.9 versions of the full and shareware, so maybe there's a v0.99 of the full version?

As far as I know, like I said, 1.0/0.99 was only used for the shareware version. Version 1.1 of the shareware was released only 6 days after 1.0, so I doubt any registered copies were made with 1.0.

Bloodshedder said:

...Version 1.1 of the shareware was released only 6 days after 1.0, so I doubt any registered copies were made with 1.0.

Good point.

u could try downloading the press release version (0.99.) search for alpha and beta on 'the google' (damn old ppl) and its on the first page i think

The press release version is different from the Shareware, which was "finished", and was more or less the doom we know and love. The press release was NOT the doom we know, it had a score system, and some diffrent sprites/weapons

sambobbilly said:
search for alpha and beta on 'the google'

Why would anyone want to do that when Bloodshedder just linked to the /historic directory in the idgames Archive, which is where that page draws the stuff from?

where can I find this downgrade patch from 1.9 to 1.2 or 1.1 ?
I already have the v1.2 EXE but I'd like to downgrade the doom.WAD too (for old demo compatibility).

thanks for any help

I´ve been using the 1.1 full version in the old days - from 1995 when I first played Doom until 1996, when I got my hands on Ultimate Doom and jumped directly to 1.9.
1.1 was pretty original; the levels of episode1 weren´t altered: no button on the column in the room next to the starting room, no secret passageway in the zigzag-nuckage-room, the swastica in E1M4 was intact and so forth. I think the only "original" thing in 1.0 were some nasty door bugs, where the game would crash when saving and loading would be performed under an open door.

When will the alpha link on the sidebar on the main page be moved from the doom 3 section to the classic doom section?

AlexMax said:

When will the alpha link on the sidebar on the main page be moved from the doom 3 section to the classic doom section?

I think that´s a joke for people that think they can get the D3 alpha legally here.

I wonder why the D3 alpha is illegal while the D1 alphas are not. Just because they´re older?

Because it wasn't an official release.

Vince: I don't think there are any patches to downgrade to 1.666. What you need to do is downgrade to 1.1 and then upgrade from that.

1.1->1.2 (registered)
1.2->1.666 (registered)
various patches

Edit: Oh sorry, I see that you were asking about Doom2 v1.666 (which was the first release, so there are no earlier ones). No, I don't know of any such thing. I take it your old 1.666 disks are in France?

It's different. The DOOM alphas started popping up, presumably from testers or such, a good while after the game became available, and eventually id gave the okay to making them public and officially okay to download. They haven't done such a thing for the DOOM 3 alpha, which was stolen and distributed during development. Plus DOOM 3 just came out... you can't expect them to make it legal yet at all.