Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orbiter

Doom 3 Too Repetitive

I had a blast when I got Doom 3, its one of the best and scariest games I've ever played, please don't think that I'm bashing the entire game itself. I love Doom 3 but am I the only one who thinks its too repetitive?

Heres an example of the typical level.

"Find bravo team. The commander is getting mad at you so you better hurry up through the labs even though the power is going out. First fight through some grunts. Then in the same room some spiders start crawling out. Better start moving cus spiders never stop coming out of their hole. As soon as you open the door to the next room an Imp is going to jump at you! Its still scary for the 38th time. After you kill it run into the room. OMG another imp just spawned behind you. Dont worry though once you kill it all you have to face is some spiders that start coming out of the walls.
Head down the hallway and fight some grunts with machine guns attacking from the upper floor. Thought that was easy? Apparently you didn't see the spiders crawling towards you the whole time. After you use all your chaingun ammo to kill about 10% of the spiders, head up stairs where you'll face more grunts standing conveniently close to a barrel full of gasoline. After they're dead though an imp is going to spawn behind you so watch out. Then when you thought you were in the clear, more spiders appear out of nowhere!
Next hallway you need to run through while avoiding even more spiders that come crawling out of the walls. When you open the door at the end of the hallway an imp jumps out at you, then you have to fight some more grunts.
You'll know you're close to the end of the level when you start to see more spiders. Blast your way through some grunts after the spiders, watch out for the imp that spawns behind you, and you're almost done!
Go to the last weapon storage and open it. Inside it will be a spider. He'll look at you and say "Yeah I wasn't even expecting that. *looks behind you* Oh hey, coming out of the walls right behind you are my friends Bob, Joe, Carl, Jim, Will, Moe, Larry, Curly, George, go say hi to them."
Stock up on ammo though cus you're going to need it. At the end of the level guess what you'll have to face! The spider Queen!"

No offense but it seems whoever placed enemies in the game, must have thought Spiders were the coolest thing ever. The zombies... or posessed people... whatever they were, were much scarier because they could be placed in the dark around the corner, plus thier faces are just creepy.
The game was much scarier in the first levels then in later ones because of good hard working enemies like that who were more concerned with poping out of the darkness right infront of your face, rather than trying to overwhelm you like some other eight legged, eight eyed enemies who individually take 2 pistol shots to kill, but in the numbers they come in take all your ammo to slow down.
Imp's are about 33% as repetitive as spiders, and that's saying something. They either spawn behind you all the time, or are right behind the next door waiting to jump right at you. Why not see them climbing the walls, leaving you having to shoot at their glowing eyes or something.

So anyway, I had to let that rant out. I still love Doom 3, but its repetition can be frustrating at times.

They're only repetitive in the sense that they're non-unique.

I think having to conserve your precious ammo and knowing when to reload when you're stuck outside without air and there's a swarm of trites and/or cacodemons after you, is pretty much valid gameplay with the kind of fear and tension id strived for.

Actually, I liked the way those spiders were crawling out of hiding. But yeah, that age-old trick of having monsters teleport in grew tiresome FAST.

Orbiter said:

Heres an example of the typical level.

No. That's the level filled with spiders. IIRC, there are several levels with no spiders at all.

What game where you playing? I didn't see that many spiders...also you are waste'n your chaingun if it's taking your chaingun to kill them. It takes 2 shots from your pistol to kill a spider. They also don't keep coming they only send out about 15 at most and usually in pairs (one behind one in front, or one on each side). If you thought spiders where bad how bout the cherubs? they are faster hit harder and come at you in streams just like the spiders...you didn't mention them.

The imps are WAY more repetitive than the spiders. But hey - imps were also the most common enemy in Doom / Doom2. So Doom3 lives up to it´s predecessors in that way.
I would also have liked a litte bit more variation in monster appearance. Some monsters barely show up: The lost souls are only in some levels in the middle of the game and I think there were only a fist full of (pinky) demons.
I also love Doom3 anyway, to make that clear.

I really don't get why people keep complaining about how Doom 3's repetetive after they've played more than 50 levels of DOOM and DOOM 2 which is nothing BUT repetition.

why did he use a chain gun when the shot gun is the perfect pesticide? If you are running out of ammo the machine gun kills the spiders quickly enough to not use chain gun, and the plasma kills the spider with a one two ( just tap it do not hold and fire ) ps they are not endless :p I thought you where going to mention the repetive level design :O oh and believe it or not the pistol is good too unless you are surrounded by them. Infact a great way to save ammo is to use the pistol whenever possible. NOt as powerfull as grace but its ok.

I really don't get why people keep complaining about how Doom 3's repetetive after they've played more than 50 levels of DOOM and DOOM 2 which is nothing BUT repetition.

But those levels have some variation in texturing, different light levels (as opposed to 'stark neon', 'martian sunset' and 'totally dark'), tight areas and wide-open areas, different buildings and themes, well-done secrets, and are just fun, will people still be playing doom 3 as much as they play the first two in 10 years time? not a chance

deathbringer said:

will people still be playing doom 3 as much as they play the first two in 10 years time? not a chance

I said the same thing the 2nd day of release, I just didn't see Doom 3 having the lasting feel and impact Doom and Doom 2 had. There's no real replay value there. I've played all difficulties and now just simply bored with it. But I could play Doom and Doom 2 time and time again, even to this day it's still a lot of fun to play. Maybe when an expansion comes out it will add some extra flavor, but right now unless you like DM Doom 3 is just old news...already after 2 weeks...hehe waited 4 years to be tired of a game in 2 weeks waiting again for an expansion or a mod that makes it interesting again. *shrug*

The spiders didnt appear in every map. But I felt they werent used well in the places where they did appear. They didnt really come out in swarms. Instead they'd spawn two or three at a time and slowly make their way over to you. So you ended up standing in one spot waiting for them to (very slowly) pass beneath your targeting reticle.

The only exception I can think of is the outdoor portion where they really do come after you all over the place. That situation was actually a little harrowing. And I think it's the proper way to use them.

I don't understand this in people. If you can enjoy Doom 1 & 2, how can't you enjoy Doom 3? It's the same damn thing only prettier and with a few gameplay mechanics, and a story that's not quite as loose.

Scabbed Angel said:

I don't understand this in people. If you can enjoy Doom 1 & 2, how can't you enjoy Doom 3? It's the same damn thing only prettier and with a few gameplay mechanics, and a story that's not quite as loose.

I think it's the stock maps. They just arent layed out as well as the ones in doom, at least in my opinion. Also the excessive scripting of enemies and enemy placement in general felt quite different. But Im sure there will be a few user-made maps that will bring back the old doom feel.

Scabbed Angel said:

Wow. Thats a truly amazing statement. Doom 1 and 2 are absolutely nothing like doom3 at all.

the originals were classic FPSes, doom3 is a survival horror game that happens to have a first person camera during its interactive sequences.

I shouldnt even have to list any differences on doomworld but goddamn

Doom 1&2 had SECRETS, they rewarded exploration and trying to find better paths through the level, there were many more open spaces and monsters to face.

the fact that there were more than 3 monsters at once allowed for more variety, since different COMBINATIONS could lead to different challenges.

actually, fuck making a list, heres a much better and easier way to explain all the differnces between the originals and doom3, in one sentence... think about this very carefully...

Doom 1 and 2 started a phenomenon called speedmapping... this activity will be pointelss in doom3

Think about that for a second, that alone i think says it all, for amny reasons why doom3 is nothing like its predecessor

Heh someone should make a level guide for the entire game that tells you the exact positioning of the monsters and the order and what circumstances you’ll face them in, that would be hilarious.

Relica Religia said:

I thought that Prima guide that went with D3 did just that?

Yes, it does. And yet it still manages to be useless.

Imps are overused yes. If those rumors regarding an expansion pack are true, I can only hope they put more pinkies and less imps into it.

On secrets: can anyone explain to me why they aren't really there anymore? I mean, is it really that hard to make a small, square-shaped room behind a wall that's actually a camouflaged door?

They didn't seem to have trouble making small rooms with monsters open up whenever you walked over a trigger, so why couldn't they add some proper secret rooms?

DSM, I agree. Doom 3 just felt more of a regular game for me. I liked the original two Dooms because of all the secrets levels and secret rooms. I loved going past every wall hitting spacebar. Ahh, nothing like hearing the Doomguy grunt a few hundred times and then the whoosh sound of a secret room opening!

Well were there are spider generally there is a box or two, a good trick is to jump on a box in the corner and the spiders cannot attack you. I pick them off with pistol rounds.

In almost every single room I have found ways to avoid being damaged just by thinking the situ through, and not neccesarily repetetive save/load.

I use grenades alot, they work miracles on most enemies as long as you dont kill your self.

Sound is key every enemy makes sound, if you dont have 5.1 or better I pity you.

Personally I found this game rereshing Ive played it for over 60 hours so far, and have not burnt out yet on SP, Im a MP kinda guy, and didnt care for alot of the recent, ie last 6 years of, singleplayer games.

Scabbed Angel said:

Now thats not nessarily true Doom2 had alot more large open levels with many more enemies to fight in some situ's.

I really enjoyed the sluaghter of those levels, having to dodge multiple streams of plasma from the cyberspiders.

Maybe Doom3 is equivelent to the Episode 1,2,3 of Doom95, and the update or expansion to Doom3 will be like Doom2 was more of an exploration of Hell, with larger levels less based on the UACcomplex type maps.

I dont know cant say but thats what I miss.

dsm said:

On secrets: can anyone explain to me why they aren't really there anymore? I mean, is it really that hard to make a small, square-shaped room behind a wall that's actually a camouflaged door?

They didn't seem to have trouble making small rooms with monsters open up whenever you walked over a trigger, so why couldn't they add some proper secret rooms?

Now that Im playing through a second time Im finding a lot more stuff. Things hidden in little places I didnt notice or didnt think I could reach (like running through flames and stuff). I guess those can be considered secrets. Although it's not the same.

"On secrets: can anyone explain to me why they aren't really there anymore? I mean, is it really that hard to make a small, square-shaped room behind a wall that's actually a camouflaged door?"

There are a handful of secrets but you have to have one hell of a sharp eye for them.

Most of them are triggered to your movement, like in e1m1 of doom were you run out of the 3rd room and into the 4rth room and if you do so fast enough you can catch the lift and get the shotgun. Since doom 3 encourages moving very slowly that would explain why you only get to see so few of them.

The first post

I agree, there is no entertainment here, its just the same bullshit over and over, if this was a normal doom level the /newstuff reviwer would say "play it on /nm and look at the architecture". I'll probably be selling it on as soon as my brother is done with it

I agree with everyone in this forum.

(That is, if I were playing and encountered what everyone said they have encountered, I would feel the same way.)