Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oscillik

a major influence [id Software]

i would just like to proclaim to the world how much i am grateful that id Software exist.

my first id Software game would be the Commander Keen series, and although I never really got fanatically into it, I did spend many hours playing it with enjoyment :)

Then along came Wolfenstein 3D, and DOOM, DOOM II, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and now DOOM 3.

I have to admit, that at first, I had been playing pirated copies of the above mentioned games, but since then I have purchased all of them, and in the case of the DOOM series, have purchased it multiple times.

I have bought it 3 times for the PC, twice for Mac, and both DOOM and DOOM II for the GBA. I even own the holy "id Anthology".

I have bought DOOM 3 for PC, when it is released for Mac I shall buy it again. I have just bought the Collectors Edition of DOOM, yet I STILL wanna contribute.

The problem is that although I am buying the games, I know that MY hard earned money isn't going directly to id Software....the shop wherever I bought the titles from is getting my money.

I have searched for a way to email id Software, but to no avail :( I would SO much like to donate some money directly to the team. I know that I wouldn't be able to contribute much...maybe £50, but at least that would hopefully buy them all a round of drinks, or get them a nice chocolate cake or something.

I know that it may seem soppy and all, but id Software has given me a lot of memories, and are still to this day an influence on me musically (i'm a musician).

If any of you guys are reading this, thank you very much

you want to give a corporation that earns millions yearly more money?

Check Romero's site. He's probably bankrupt by now and could use an additional $50 to get himself another mailorder bride.

darknation said:

Check Romero's site. He's probably bankrupt by now and could use an additional $50 to get himself another mailorder bride.

Thats pretty damned funny : p

Romero always answers my emails. It´s pretty cool. The guys still working at id seem to be more busy and get way too much emails.
Tim Willits once sent me a console command to improve performance on Q3A and I had some correspondence with Fred Nilsson. But 9 / 10 times, they do not answer.

Deathmatcher said:

Tim Willits once sent me a console command to improve performance on Q3A

Which is?

Deathmatcher said:

Romero always answers my emails. It´s pretty cool. The guys still working at id seem to be more busy and get way too much emails.
Tim Willits once sent me a console command to improve performance on Q3A and I had some correspondence with Fred Nilsson. But 9 / 10 times, they do not answer.

how did you manage to get in touch with the id team? I haven't seen anywhere on idsoftware.com that has any kind of email address, other than links to Activision.

oscillik said:

how did you manage to get in touch with the id team? I haven't seen anywhere on idsoftware.com that has any kind of email address, other than links to Activision.

Click Here

heh, the only person i ever talked to at id was romero, back when he still worked there. i loved id for a long time but then they started firing all their creative designers in favor of generic ones that weren't really given much leeway. back in the doom/keen days i think they'd perfected the balance of technology and design, but since then it's just kept tipping further and further into a technology focus, which doesn't interest me at all.

The id guys already have loads of money and I'm fairly confident that D3 will bring in a steady flow of cash for years to come as people finally have computers that'll run it. If you really wanna do something nice for them donate the money to a childrens charity or something in their name and mail them the certificate.

darknation said:

Actually, I think he's doing pretty well at Midway and off of his various Monkeystone projects. Just becuase he was a gargantuan idiot durring his ion storm days, doesn't mean he hasn't grown up a little since then.

oscillik said:

I even own the holy "id Anthology".

I have the anthology too. It's price is $150 U.S., isn't it? I got it used in '97 for 25 bucks. Then I bought Doomzone with 1000 really old Doom levels for $5 before I knew levels could be downloaded.

I especially enjoy that story in the Book of id (toward the end). Who wrote that?

-*All the stuff oscillik said*-

hehe yeah i know what you mean, except I LOVED Commander Keen. Just fucking LOVED it. It was like magic to me. Wolfenstein 3d I was bloody amazingly obsessed with and loved it so (though don't care for it anymore) I didn't care much for Doom until I found out about WAD FILES! shit yeah! But i never, ever, ever gave a shit about Quake. Especially the mediocre and boring Quake2 and the forgetful Quake3. Thats what i thought anyway. Nice little history, the Rise and Fall of Id.

Foofoo said:

Nice little history, the Rise and Fall of Id.

But id has risen again!

well this is just Id to me. I haven't played Doom3 yet, and they didn't make Return to Castle Wolfenstein for god sake. That was Grey Matter.