Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BuzWeaver

Compulsive quick save/amo/health save’er

A buddy of mine plays FPS’s like a science. He’ll quick save probably as much as I do, however he’ll repeat a segment over and over till he finds the shots with the least amount of ammo used and most health as possible.

I can understand the sense of perfection and getting the maximum use of strategy but I’m not as compulsive as that, LOL. I’ll repeat a segment if I could have done it better with another weapon or saved more on health.

I only tend to do that on Nightmare. But mostly because I've been through the game already and health is a precious commodity on that difficulty setting as it is.

I quick save alot and if I get to low health in a spot I will restart to do it again. But if I have at least 65-70 health I keep going.

Well if I feel I really sucked on a passage and could have done better, I play it again. But I often save on <50%. You tend to play more thoroughly and carefully when on low health and this means your health replenishes quickly.

One thing I didn't like at the start of nightmare was of course the 25 health. I found myself killing civilians just to charge my soulcube right off the bat. But in the one spot a pistol zombie steps out and pow! I was at 25 health and was strolling down a hallway with flash light on, that zombie stepped out and pow! right in the head I guess because I drop like a sack of dirt. It surprised me. F9 restart!

If I get below 50 health I will stop quicksaving, because I don't want to save a game with low health. But I won't repeat anything unless I actually die.

More often than not I find health pretty soon in the next level anyway.

I quicksave pretty much after every battle. If I only lose an acceptable amount of health/armor/ammo, I will keep going.

But if two imps take out all my armor and half my health, and I waste 8 shells on them, then I will restart my save.

Well doing things over and over is silly, IMO. Only time I reload is when I just go stupid and get my ass handed to me when I should have done bettter and lost 20 or 30 points of health. I play the game for fun, not perfection.

mudbone said:

Does anyone know if you get to use the chainsaw on nightmare? TIA

Yes, nightmare is just like the regular game except there are no medkits to be found anywhere, monsters do more damage, you start with the soulcube, and your health continually depletes to 25%. So yes, you can get and use the chainsaw. :-)

But since ammo seems to grow on trees in nightmare mode and since you pretty much die in one hit from things, I didn't use the chainsaw much.

Im the same way but at this point its about the Demons respect, I dont like to get hit at all ever. I dont give them that privledge. : )

I went thru Marine without going below 80% health.
Vetern without below 74% health. Im on Nightmare now and its gonna take me awhile but thier is a science to not getting hit. Very slow going on nightmare, and the damn demons can fight like a gutter rats, nice swift combos.

I run the game with 3 different save games

Good_health_armor
Not_sure
Good_health_armor_behind_you

This lets me know if I pick back up later what condition im in, and for the last one If I have spare armor behind me or health or both then I use that one to remind me, I always face the direction im going with the goods behind me so that if I pick back up after a long night I dont have to guess or backtrack

I usually only save when I have full health/armor and a considerable amount of ammo, namely in my shotgun. Still, I quicksave a lot more in Doom 3 than I have in any othe game, you just never know what could happen next! (It's still my first time through)

A friend of mine will play ANY game with quicksave/quickload with the quick save key binded to "G", so he can save more often...

He presses that damn G every 5 seconds