Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
psyren

Animated Textures

Is it possible to use new or different animated textures in a vanilla Doom2 map?

For example, I'd like to use a waterfall or lavafall instead of blood or slime. I have the right number of frames, but cannot get them to animate.

Do these need a dehacked file to replace? I saw one wad where BFALL1 etc., were just replaced, but it didn't work just renaming and replacing in my map. All I get is the first image with no animation.

Here's a way to use your new animations without replacing any others: create textures called WFALL1-4, BLODGR1-4 and SLADRIP1-3 (make sure the patches for each one are together). These are unused animations in DooM 2 that are free to use.

No dehacked required, but you will need to create new textures, not just replace existing ones - if you don't know the method, I'll need to know what graphics editor you're using.

Hey, Thanx Ultimate Doomer. I have never heard about those before, and just what I am looking for.

For graphics, I am just using basic MSPaint. But I have a free program I found called Image Analyzer. http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/ This can tweak any image and convert to 256k bmp, and also import the Doom palette. The combination works well for making textures, though I know it is not very sophisticated and takes more work this way.

So far, I have just been experimenting with others I have found, (Mordeth, Ruinbros, DeusVult,) but I do plan to make my own before I release anything. Just trying to understand how it works.

You say I can't rename? Does this mean I can't rename new bmp's to the unused names you mentioned, or not replace BFALL1 with my own? (That didn't work anyway, so I guess I answered my own question, but trying to clarify.) Sorry, you said replace not rename, but still a question.

Also, are these unused ones 64x128 or could I use a transparent Firewall I made that is 128x128?

He meant using those unused animated textures, you wont have to REPLACE any of the existing ones, but you will have to RENAME your patches which you have imported into the wad to the relevant names (and make sure they are in order!). You can also replace the exisiting animated textures if you want, if you need more, for instance if you are making a tech base, you wont need the burning red rock textures, so could replace those with flashing monitors...

psyren said:

Hey, Thanx Ultimate Doomer. I have never heard about those before, and just what I am looking for.

For graphics, I am just using basic MSPaint. But I have a free program I found called Image Analyzer. http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/ This can tweak any image and convert to 256k bmp, and also import the Doom palette. The combination works well for making textures, though I know it is not very sophisticated and takes more work this way.

I meant the program used to put the graphics in the wad.

You say I can't rename? Does this mean I can't rename new bmp's to the unused names you mentioned, or not replace BFALL1 with my own? (That didn't work anyway, so I guess I answered my own question, but trying to clarify.) Sorry, you said replace not rename, but still a question.

When you insert the patches into your wad, you get to choose a name for the patch (which can be different to the filename). It's these names that must be the same as the texture names I mentioned previously.

Also, are these unused ones 64x128 or could I use a transparent Firewall I made that is 128x128?

BLODGR1-4 is 32x128 and the others are 64x128, but I think you can use 128x128 if you want to. (just change the sizes when you create the textures)

Wow! Thanx again! That worked just perfect. It does accept a 128x128 texture also, at least SLADRIP does. I made a transparent FIRWALL that looks awesome for that one. Used WFALL for my lava fall and it works fine too.

I am using XWE for this type of thing. Replaced FIRWALL once and got just a static texture, but I didn't have the same number of frames in the animation, so that's prolly why it didn't work.

Seen many wads where all of the animated textures have been replaced, but named the same. And, I suppose if the original animation was 4 frames then the replacement must also have 4. Maybe I will experiment with this some, but for now, I got all the ones I needed working.

Again, many, many thanks to both of you! :)

So I got them working in my maps. Many many thanks! So please write here or email me what you want in credits. "For making my animated textures to work..." ??? Or I will just write Ultimate Doomer and Deathbringer.

Guys I had before seemed to have vanished. Need people to test new maps.

Deathbringer, Ultimate Doomer, you are first choice, since only other credit I can give you is showing me how to use animated.