Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZiGZaG

Who was saying the sounds suck?

I was just thinking seems like some people were ranting about the sounds sucking in the game. What sound system do you have? Sound card?

I'm running an older set of surround speakers but they are very nice and have been about the best investment I've made. They are MS Digital System 80's, I'm also running an Audigy Plat 2 with EAX etc.

My wife just took off to go shopping with the kids so I kicked back and really jacked up my speakers. Through all my Doom 3 playing I've had it turned way down to an almost whisper if any sound at all. I must say the sounds far from suck.

I turned the bass up on my subwoofer and jacked up the whole system, it blew me away. The machinegun has a hard metal punchy sound and the shotgun said BOOM! It did almost have a "sitting in the other room and hearing a shotgun go off" sort of sound, but it was still a good sound effect. I'm a avid gun user myself I have several small hand guns and several shotgun/rifles and the sounds the guns made in game was about as close as I've heard to the sound the real deal makes. The machinegun with it's punchy fire sound, sounds like a .223 assualt rifle that a buddy of mine down the street has. I also bet that if said machinegun was a real gun with the bass-e sound it makes that you could feel the impact of the bullet leave'n the muzzle on each shot. My subwoofer is on the floor near my leg and I could feel my pants move from the passing air of the woofer on each shot.

Also the background noise was awesome to, you could hear like 4-5 things going at the same time. You hear metal creaking, stuff blowing (like AC ducts or fans). You here gurgle'n and scrape'n sounds. You also hear the foot steps of creatures walking/running up to your position.

I really have not 1 complaint now about the sounds myself. I would like to see an Evil Dead .pk4 file come out. Only because Ash (Bruce Campbell)from S-Mart is God!

Yeah, the sounds are great. Some of the sounds, when low, sound horrible. But turn up your speakers and they are awesome, including the fact that you can hear every footstep coming your way.

Oh, and gotta love the sound and animation when you take your chainsaw to a demon's head and especially when you grind it against the hard metal of the UAC facility.

<Gets the evil-looking Doom guy's face when holding down on attack for a while.>

Hell yes, the sounds rock and that goes for all the weapons too.

Anyone who says the gun sounds suck hasn't heard a gun fire in real life (I have btw). Even the pistol rocks, despite having the weakest sounding firing sound. Also, the reload sounds are really badass.

My opinion: Those weapons really feel like real guns.

If I have any sound complaints whatsoever it's that the zombies sound like they have a nausea problem. I mean for real, it sounds like they're vomiting when you pump bullets into them and ever so often when they spot you, I couldn't help thinking that it kinda sounded like they were wiping bile from their mouths after losing their lunch.

Not that their sounds a overly bad (it manages to sound satisfying when you hit them with death), but I'd have preferred a less human and more animal-like set of sounds from them.

dsm said:

Not that their sounds a overly bad (it manages to sound satisfying when you hit them with death), but I'd have preferred a
less human and more animal-like set of sounds from them.

I think the sounds are more bile sounds because of the fact they are a slimy, disgusting, walking corpse. If they can't talk and their body is in constent decomposition you would make bile sounds and vomiting-like sounds also. I surprised just for a joke id didn't add a farting sound to them like a very rare every once in awhile type sound.

[QUOTE]ZiGZaG said:
I was just thinking seems like some people were ranting about the sounds sucking in the game. What sound system do you have? Sound card?

I'm running an older set of surround speakers but they are very nice and have been about the best investment I've made. They are MS Digital System 80's, I'm also running an Audigy Plat 2 with EAX etc.

My wife just took off to go shopping with the kids so I kicked back and really jacked up my speakers. Through all my Doom 3 playing I've had it turned way down to an almost whisper if any sound at all. I must say the sounds far from suck.

I'm a avid gun user myself I have several small hand guns and several shotgun/rifles and the sounds the guns made in game was about as close as I've heard to the sound the real deal makes. The machinegun with it's punchy fire sound, sounds like a .223 assualt rifle that a buddy of mine down the street has.!
[/Q

wat do ur wife and kids think of u being a computering dooming gun abuser....im meen user

sambobbilly said:

wat do ur wife and kids think of u being a computering dooming gun abuser....im meen user

What do your parents think about you dropping out of Grade 5?

Caco-Puff said:

retracted

What is the moral of this story, kids?

Learn to use the [quote] tag properly.

ZiGZaG said:

I surprised just for a joke id didn't add a farting sound to them like a very rare every once in awhile type sound.

They did. One of the fat zombies from solitary confinement (I forget which area...Delta Labs, maybe?) farted when approaching me.

The only ones I didnt like were the pistol sound (which is kinda growing on me), and the plasma rifle. The rest of the sounds were awesome, especially the chaingun. That thing sounds fearsome. the "music" is also quite good and really gets your pulse racing in a few places.

Edit: I think it's best played with headphones though. Playing with speakers and subwoofer drowned out some of the more minor, but still awesome details.

there's music? I never heard any music in the game? only at the main menu? huh what? I missed something all together...tell me how to get music from the game going!

If I have any sound complaints whatsoever it's that the zombies sound like they have a nausea problem.

Yeah, doesn't anyone else think when you kill a zombie, they sound like Jimbo Jones from The Simpsons?

What ZiGZaG said in his first post is spot on. All the weapons sound great, I also didn't get why a few people were bitchin about the shotgun sound being weak.... I said before that I cranked up my subwoofer and the shotgun sounded awesome. Only sound I don't like is when I'm playing and the fricking phone rings. ;)

ZiGZaG said:

there's music? I never heard any music in the game? only at the main menu? huh what? I missed something all together...tell me how to get music from the game going!

It's not "music" as in a soundtrack. But you may notice that some of the machinery and other weird stuff going on produces sounds with a certain rhythm. In some places there's actually a pretty heavy beat going on. I think it's ingenious.

Caco-Puff said:

owned

Caco-Puff said:

I was talking to sambobbilly but the quote feature on this forum is whack.

(Fixed it)

no you done right, I was reading it wrong, I was getting ready for work and checking the forums, kids running around crying for mama, elmo blasting on the tv, trying to get wifey motivated to helping me get my crap together to leave and saw the "abuser" part then right below that post saw the "grade 5" comment and thought I was getting nailed by a couple people. I was like "hold up...let me get something straight about the grade 5 thing". hahaha, sorry for the confusion I can admit when I make a mistake in something, that's why I retracted my comment becuase I saw it was directed to billybobonthesenuts or whatever the name was....

But...as for the "abuser..oh I mean user" typo deal. I own a couple guns, I have a computer, I play Doom/D3...does that make me a bad person? Am I stereo-typed as an abusive person? What's the whole deal with that line of thinking. I live in country most people where I live have a firearm, I was raised with one, I've had one since I was old enough to pick one up. I know all the safety and proper procedures with small arms and larger rifles/shotguns etc. My firearms are well out of reach of the kids and my wife<wink>. I don't think the comment was very called for even jokingly. I'm a good father, I like to concider myself a good husband and provider for my family, I like to think I'm at least educated enough to form a sentence that's not wrote in KeWl dude or ghetto 4 u. Plus I do all this working a 14 hour a day job for my 2 year old and 6 month old little girls and wife, on top of being in a wheelchair with muscular dystrophy (Beckers) so an 11 year old girl can beat me in arm wrestling so I'm far from being at least physically abusive. As for mental abusive I can eat billybobthortonwannaplaydoomandbecool for lunch, but honestly it's not worth my time, I'd rather throw you to my pitbull I have in the back yard. Heh now that's abusive.