Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

shareware box art scans please

does anyone have the box for the shareware of doom? if so I would love to see scans.

1: to see what memories it jogs up.

2: I remember seeing sreenshots of maps that weren't in the game..not even the full version.

The shareware my brother bought a long time ago came in some kind of sleeve or envelope, it was rather rough-looking. I don't have it anymore, nor the disks, unfortunately.

As for 2, you either mean some map in the alpha versions, or else just some PWAD. But there were no "other maps" available initially.

I remember my friend got Doom in a box. All I remember was that it had the regular 'art' doom logo (the one that appears in most Doom art, not the logo that appears on the title with the caco in the back), with a big thing in the corner that said "SHAREWARE". Also, the blurb on the back said something like "Doom: Where the sanest place...is behind the trigger"

When i first looked at it, I thought "Holy crap, this must be an awesome game! It'll last me a month, at least."

Heh...at least...

EDIT: Oh, and it was Shareware version 1.2, for the curious.

The way I understand it is that many different stores and locations were allowed to make their own boxart for the shareware, which explains why there are several different shareware covers. I thought I remember reading this from Romero.

I'd love to see scans of some of the variations of the Shareware packaging.

heh, amazingly, i have a copy of the doom shareware somewhere, unopened in the sleeve thing still. if i find it, i'll post a pic.

A good friend of mine still has his shareware box. I remember the screenshots on the back have the little life number next to the hud face.

There also seem to exist different boxes of Ultimate Doom.

My box has the reddish cover with the real life baron of hell on it (Real life in terms of that it´s a kind of photo - probably of an actor in a baron mask - rather than a drawing). id have it as a poster in their offices. You can see it in some of the videos.
Here is a link: http://ellisllk.lautre.net/fond/doom_wp01.jpg

There are other box covers, though. The one, id store offers is completely different and has a metallic blue cover:
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom-ultimate/

I belivev the one with the red baron/imp was the UK verison. The black one was the one I got, here in the US.