Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TGB

Has doom III affected the way you play doom?

Here are some things I tried to do when playing doom recently:

-Press R after a big fight
-Press F in dark areas
-Press Q when fighting a Cyberdemon
-Hold the mouse button down when firing the BFG
-Jump
-Walk up to a computer screen and try to use it

Also, I found myself running up to an enemy when using the shotgun (as opposed to just taking him out long range.)

Has anyone noticed doom III affecting the way they play classic doom / doom II?

Doom3 hasn't affected the way I play Doom or Doom2 because I haven't played Doom3 :P

Yep, all those things, plus I felt like the Doomguy's speed was out of control. It was like I was controlling a ricocheting pinball :p

LOL i've played tons of recent FPS's and I still play Doom the same way I do all the time - run like mad on keyboard while aiming precise with mouse (and i don't mean mouselook up and down)

TGB said:

Heh, I always do that. Just in case it's a switch, or if it reveals a secret area.

TGB said:

-Hold the mouse button down when firing the BFG
-Jump

Those three I've always done after a tiny bit of experience with Doom, especially once I found Zdoom.

DooMBoy said:

Doom3 hasn't affected the way I play Doom or Doom2 because I haven't played Doom3 :P

I can never get on with the mouse in doom/doom 2 (well, using ports obviously), except when i'm sniping or using the flashlight mod i made, but you obviusly cant live without it in doom 3..so i have totally different playing styles in those games

TGB, that sounds more like a "you know when you´ve played Doom3 too long, when..."-list, rather than things you´d really do accidently now in Doom. It´s a completely different game and just like gargoylol I played a thousand fps over the years and it never affected the way I played Doom. Doom3 won´t either. :)

Then again, is there somebody who accidently tries to shoot all the switches now? :)

Deathmatcher said:

TGB, that sounds more like a "you know when you´ve played Doom3 too long, when..."-list, rather than things you´d really do accidently now in Doom. It´s a completely different game and just like gargoylol I played a thousand fps over the years and it never affected the way I played Doom. Doom3 won´t either. :)

The list is based in reality, I posted this just after I'd finished a session of Doom. I know that it's a completely different game, but probably because of the similar weapons and monsters, my brain made the link between classic doom and doom III, and tried to incorporate those newly acquired tactics into my classic doom playing style...it was a bit frustrating at first, really.

I do the following when I play Doom/Doom II after playing Doom III.

- Try to aim up and down.
- Get sick from the incredible speed difference.
- Try to use my mouse wheel to switch weapons.
- Hold down fire button on the BFG in hopes to charge it up.
- Hit reload after a fire-fight.
- Try to hit F5 to quicksave after every fight.
- Try to use the enviroment (computer screens, etc.)
- Try not to hold down shift to run to save stamina.