Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

Games similar to Doom3

I thought it was going to be one of those "all new expierences" when playing through Doom3. As great as the game is, it still didnt do that for me, I've played games like it before. I just picked up the soul cube in D3 and as soon as i used it, all i could think of was "Hey.. thats the same weapon in Painkiller" Only in D3, its got that insanly ghey sound that you hear when "launching" it. In PK you hear what sounds like a fan made of knives spinning through the air. Basicly though, its the same weapon. Which got me thinking.. PK is actually a good game when compared to DooM3. I was playing it just before D3 came out and its been shelved since. I think ill finish it after i finish D3, before i play it a second time.

I dunno.. i was just thinkin last night, after i beat the gaurdian.. "i gotta be gettin close to the end". And i dont want it to. I cant wait for DooM3 mods, i bet some will be even better than the game itself. But untill than.. what to do? I myself recommend PainKiller as a substitute untill more D3 comes our way. Are there any other similar games that i might want to pick up?

Doom 3 feels like a dark and moody version of Half-Life.

* Takes place in military/scientific complex
* Teleportation experiments gone haywire
* Extremely linear
* Player never speaks
* Monsters teleporting in in front of / behind you a lot
* One of your goals is to get to Lambda Complex, er I mean Delta Labs
* Short jaunt through alien world

Architecturally and texture-wise, it's extremely similar to System Shock 2. So much so that I would say several members of ID Software must be huge SS2 fans.

You may like Jedi Knight II & III and Elite Force II. These are great games that have a sometimes moody atmosphere and great gameplay and good looking detailed tech based levels. I wouldn´t go so far as to call them similar to Doom 3, but well, there were one or two levels, especially in EF2, where I really thought "Wow, that´s almost like the Doom 3 footage I´ve seen".

Half-Life and System Shock 2, maybe even a little bit of that Diablo feel, 'cuz of the Hell spawns and such.

I've been checking out Warhammer 40K Dawn of War Beta, it's a RTS but it's really cool, that's what I'm playing with until something better comes out for Doom 3. Also I big into playing online mmorpg's so I'm playing in a couple of those I've been involved with, waiting on EQ2 or Dragon Empires to come out.

Yeah it's like System Shock II and Half-Life with a shot of Blade Of Darkness due to the awesome lighting.

Doom Dude said:

Blade Of Darkness due to the awesome lighting.

Blade of Darkness had awesome lighting? I sort of liked the game but awesome graphics/lighting to me it didn't have *shrug*

ZiGZaG said:

Blade of Darkness had awesome lighting? I sort of liked the game but awesome graphics/lighting to me it didn't have *shrug*

Well not as 'awesome' as what's in D3 of course but I thought it did have some nice lighting efffects, especially for its time.

The zombies look like they're straight out of either House of the Dead 3 or the Resident Evil 1 remake.

Shadowfox said:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Max Payne

But definitely, the game that feels most similar is Half-Life.

Nowhere near Medal of Honor, and berely like Max Payne. What you talkin' 'bout? The first Max Payne wasn't even a FPS, it was an Action/Adventure.

Verdale said:

Nowhere near Medal of Honor, and berely like Max Payne. What you talkin' 'bout? The first Max Payne wasn't even a FPS, it was an Action/Adventure.

I think he means that the levels are linear and constricted with constant cutscenes that remove the player form control of the main character

in thats sense, its very similar to Max Payne

Wobbo said:

I think he means that the levels are linear and constricted with constant cutscenes that remove the player form control of the main character

in thats sense, its very similar to Max Payne

Yes, thank you.

I play mostly multiplayer games, so HL is really the only game I have played that compares closely to D3. I had to make a couple stretches.

but man, HL ripped only the history. DooM3 ripped the HL gameplay.

If fact, doom3 is like hl, but with huge graphics and more health (alas, id added health "machines", flashlight, similar way to spawn monsters, etc...)

I'd hardly call the Doom 3 cutscenes "constant". They appear what, once every three/four levels or so?

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh HalfLife ripped off Doom, not Vice-Versa.

Besides the sentence being grammatically incorrect, it's also not true. I didn't see and blue key cards or pentagrams in Half-Life.

EDIT: Right, I knew that. ^.^;

Black Hand said:

Without doom there likely wouldn't be any half-life.

and then... no life... what newbies whould play then?

I think Half Life owes more to System Shock then DooM.They both came out in 93,but System Shock is alot more like Half Life then DooM.

It was full textured 3d,With the ability to look up and down and such.

Black Hand said:

Without doom there likely wouldn't be any half-life.

Which has no bearing on Doom 3.