Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szymanski

Virtual diplacement mapping mod

http://www.dna-drivers.nl/viewtopic.php?t=3177

From the page:

Parallax Mapping Mod enhances Doom3's graphics engine by applying parallax mapping to all textures. Parallax mapping, also known as virtual displacement mapping, is a recent graphical technology that gives surfaces more depth and realism. Using a heavily modified
vertex and pixel shader and a mix of custom and simulated height maps, this mod makes surfaces look more three-dimensional by offsetting bumps depending on your view. Although you may not see an obvious difference right away, look closely at surfaces and you will see an improvement compared to original Doom3. Most bumps will look like they're actually sticking out. This mod also works in user-made levels that have custom textures, and a tutorial is included to describe how to add optional height maps to your level for a true parallax effect.

It would be very interesting to see an actual displacement mapping modification. This is good though, makes Doom3 seem even shinier.

Hmm that looks pretty interesting actually. I think I may try that out once I get my new card (9800xt).

This doesn't seem to work in my Geforce FX 5900, though. All the textures have black spots and all models have them too even though I assume this isn't supposed to affect the models.

It works really well on the textures he provided heightmaps for, but there is sometimes a fair bit of distortion on other textures. Also, the specular lighting seemed to overbright a bit more.

Didn't run too much slower than regular Doom3 for me.

It doesn't quite seem to enjoy Nvidia's newest driver release. On older drivers it runs approx. 10-15fps slower. Specular is overbrighted, but the heightmaps were a BEAUTIFUL idea.