Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shred18

Cacodemon model - need info

I just remade the old cacodemon for Doom3, just for fun. Here are the pics!

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting him in game, but I'm not having good results. I've got the model showing up fine (it uses the stock skeleton atm) But I can't get the skin to show up properly. I have no idea where the game references the textures at. There has to be some sort of shader file I'm missing. Any help is appriciated :D

That is actually very good. Nice job. I'd really like to see it with some nice bumpmapped detail. :)

Pretty nice job :)

I'd like to see more models from you in the future, you're a good modeler / skinner.

Try this Shred18 (got it from Doom3world.org). Nice model, very true to the original!

-----------------------
EvilEngine wrote:
I still need to figure out how the game selects different ids for custom meshes.

find the cacomdemon .md5mesh in pk002 - find this line:
Code:
shader "models/monsters/cacodemon/cacodemon"

Change it to whatever your shader is named, save it as mycacodemon.md5mesh in base\models\md5\monsters\cacodemon

Now open the monster_flying_cacodemon.def in pk000 - find this line:
Code:
model monster_flying_cacodemon

and change it to:
Code:
model monster_flying_mycacodemon

Then find:
Code:
mesh models/md5/monsters/cacodemon/cacodemon.md5mesh

Change it to:
Code:
mesh models/md5/monsters/cacodemon/mycacodemon.md5mesh

Then find:
Code:
entityDef monster_flying_cacodemon

and change it to
Code:
entityDef monster_flying_mycacodemon

Save this in base\def\monster_flying_mycacodemon.def

Now you have your own cacodemon!
-----------------------

Thanks Chris, I saw that earlier though. I'm trying like mad to get him working in game. I figured out that I needed to make .dds files for lower detail, so I've got his textures showing up properly now.

I modelled it in 3d studio max. I need to figure out how to generate normal maps... And I plan to give him custom animations, and possibly a shader so his eye glows yellow when he attacks like the original sprite.

Great work. But maybe you should make it more adult. I mean, lose some "cartoonish feel" to mach doom3 sylish. But not like the way the cacodemon in doom3: i was very dissapointed

Dont Worry. The Doom 3 lightning engine pretty much takes care of that:

Current problems: either the old normals are loading, or there is a bump map someplcae I'm not aware of. The model wont load on the first try, spawinging it crashes back to the load screen. Always works on the second try though. and the console displays warning: cannot find af_pose animation, when it works. and he doesnt attack the player. I'm hoping custom animations will fix this.

I'm working on animating him right now. I got the test model working in game properly, no crashing. Aparrently, you can't import the original bones back in, the come in in a different order, so all the animations have to be replaced.

I'm still working on getting it to read the right normal maps.

I'll have more screens as soon as he's working in game again :)

Woah!

Nice model you've made there. Looks exactly like the original, cant wait for the released version. ;)

wow sweet cacodemon... man where were you when people were making those ugly ass jDoom md2s? :P

everybody poops...

spankingly good design, id say its great, but everyone else seemed to use that word, and i want to be diffrent

Ah, sorry, Crisis. Thanks for the link, thats just what I needed! And I found the low res normals! (crazy directory structure :P) So I got the custom normals on, and hes looking good, though the normals create a visible seam down the center of the model, I'm trying to fix it.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I may make more. possibly the lost soul next, that'd be an easy one, should my free time allow.

My internet went out at home, so if its back up when I get back I'll post more pictures.

useless warrior said:

Send that to the doomsday model pack.

Yes, because JDoom can really handle hi-poly Doom 3 format models. :P

I'm pretty sure DaniJ is going to do a wonderful job on making good looking MD2 models for all the monsters, don't you worry.

As for this model, it looks very nice so far!

Thanks, heh..

Ok, I have a problem I can't seem to fix. The "seam" on the model isn't really a seam.. since the UV's are inverted on half of the model, the normals on the inverted half pick up light differently, thus the seam.

The thing is, the stock models use invered normals, which means there must be a way to fix it..

unfortunately I dont have the time to research this, I'm very busy with school. If anyone has any info, speak up so I can finish this thing off and release it!