Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KLittle123

Interesting thing about the oxygen

Why is it that like at the beginning when you get off the ship your outside (atleast I think.) and you don't need oxygen cells or like run out of oxygen but later in the game you run out of oxygen when your running across the surface.

KLittle123 said:

Why is it that like at the beginning when you get off the ship your outside (atleast I think.)

He's not outside. IIRC, there's a hatch that opens up to let the ship enter, and the ship never leaves either.

but wouldn't the air escape when it enters and they're is a dude just sitting there, and im sure that it has to leave and suck all the air out.

It's just a game. Perhaps it really is just an oversight. You're free to alter the map if you wish.

there's a field for the ship dock that keeps the air in. but the other areas don't really need that type stuff because it's not as accessed as the landing dock?

ZiGZaG said:

there's a field for the ship dock that keeps the air in. but the other areas don't really need that type stuff because it's not as accessed as the landing dock?

oooooooooooooooooooh

it's like you see movies lets see like hmmm...Star Wars you have the big bay doors open for an x-wing or something to come in and land, and you have all the guards standing around, they don't get all sucked out the hatch when it opens do they? The bay door opens the ships comes in and lands the bay doors close slowly and everyone is cool.

I think it might be an airlock... I mean, you dont really see the entire process fo the ship coming in do you? No, so what if theres an airlock?

Combustable said:

I think it might be an airlock... I mean, you dont really see the entire process fo the ship coming in do you? No, so what if theres an airlock?

The airlock seems to be the most logical explanation. I mean, they got hundreds of them all through the base for personnel usage, why not have bigger ones for ships and stuff?

There is an invisible force feild that keeps the air inside. Ships can still pass through it. They have the same technologie in starwars.
Come on and use your imagination people...

I think that the logical explanation is that Star wars is a movie, Star Trek is a Tv show, and Doom3 is a game. Which all qualify as not needing explanations to get the money which is really their goal after all.

Actually in the opening of the game the ship comes in and lands through a hatch...You don't see any guys, the ship lands the doors open slowly to the shuttle then Bet and Sarge come out followed by you. Then you see a guard checking a shipment and some dishoveled scientist on a bench. If you look up the hatch is closed. So really the 2 other npc's could have possibly walked out to the landing area as soon as the ship lands and the hatch closes and goes through the pressurization proccess. You never really see the 2 of them standing there as the ship comes in and lands, and you can't check to see if the hatch is closed until it zooms you into first person perspective.

What bugs me about the oxygen is why it's even necessary. Think about it. It lasts about 30 seconds before you start taking damage. Surely you could hold your breath longer than that!?

A guy like this should be able to hold his breath for over a minute before losing health. How often are you outside for more than a minute anyway?

Amaster said:

It's just a game. Perhaps it really is just an oversight. You're free to alter the map if you wish.

So I guess the people who say that Doom 3 has a real cinematic movie-feel were really thinking of the movie "Battlefield Earth" and "Lost In Space."

GGG said:

A guy like this should be able to hold his breath for over a minute before losing health.

You try holding your breath while running and jumping and climbing?

I didn't think so.

Arioch said:

You try holding your breath while running and jumping and climbing?

I didn't think so.

I've done it before. I don't have weak lungs, my friend. My condolences to those who do.